SaltCritters.com

28 nano LED Journal updates!

dday80

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As a fellow 28 LED owner, question for you:

Have you had any problems with heat?

I haven't. It generally sits around 80, fluctuating throughout the day. My room temp is usually about 75 and lower.

I haven't. It generally sits around 80, fluctuating throughout the day. My room temp is usually about 75 and lower.

Yeah, my ambient room temperature is about 74 and my tank is running warm at 82.

Yeah, my ambient room temperature is about 74 and my tank is running warm at 82.

That is a little on the higher side, but I wouldn't worry about it if everything looks fine. I'd be more concerned with huge temp swings. That is when you start having trouble.

I have had temperature issues with my tank, but mainly due to the ambient room temperature fluctuating too much. I ended up getting a 1/15HP chiller for my system, and ran it in conjunction with the heater off of my controller, so that the temperature never went below 76.5 degrees or above 78.5. Kind of an expensive solution (which I wish I didn't have to make) but it gave me peace of mind.

I have had temperature issues with my tank, but mainly due to the ambient room temperature fluctuating too much. I ended up getting a 1/15HP chiller for my system, and ran it in conjunction with the heater off of my controller, so that the temperature never went below 76.5 degrees or above 78.5. Kind of an expensive solution (which I wish I didn't have to make) but it gave me peace of mind.

Yeah, I wish I had known of the heat issues before I filled it, or I would have drilled it and put in an ice probe. I'm really only a few degrees North of where I'd like to be (though am worried - with lights off, first thing in the morning I am sitting at 80. With the lights on, I creep to about 81.5, though I am confused because the splash guard is cool to the touch, so I don't know where the heat is coming from. The themperature issue isn't bad right now, and I expect it to be good through the winter, but I don't want to fight it in the future past that. Still toying with the idea of getting some acryllic cut from Ponoko and rigging a mount for an ice probe... anyone ever done something similar to this? My controller will keep the water level pretty stable and control the chiller, though still on the fence about it because not certain of the Ice Probe performance...

Also thought about picking up a regular chiller and using it, though never had to in the past so some uncharted territory for me.

Have you upgraded your pumps or added any? Extra stuff like that could be jacking your temp up.

I've never used a regular chiller either so I can't really help you there. From what I understand its just an outflow of tank temp water that gets cooled off and then pumped back in. It could present a problem as far as space because there is so little of it in the back of the tank.

I'm curious in how you would set up the ice probe. I've got a chiller probe in my FO at my mom's house, but I assume it is less than ideal for a reef just because everyone I've heard of uses the inflow/outflow chillers.

I'm curious in how you would set up the ice probe. I've got a chiller probe in my FO at my mom's house, but I assume it is less than ideal for a reef just because everyone I've heard of uses the inflow/outflow chillers.

I'm reading more on the real-world numbers provided by folks and don't think it's going to be a sufficient solution. If I did go that route, I'd find a way to "hang" it via a bracket in compartment not occupied by my heater. Ideally, this would be a piece of acryllic that hangs over the lip and puts the probe at water level....

I live in an apartment complex and have to run a hose up to my 2nd story balcony to filter my water through my RO/DI. Last night the security was called on me. I go to the door and a security officer is outside looking pretty pissed. The conversation goes:

Me: Good evening sir whats goin on?

Security: You tell me. Some neighbors complained about this hose going up to your apartment. I come up here and see this water filter. Do you have pot growing in your house?

Me: What?!!? I start laughing and he gets even more mad.

Security: Are you growing pot? I've seen people purify water to water their plants.

Me: No way hah

After this I invited him in and he was stoked about the tank and said everything was cool. He still has to write up a report, but nothing bad is going to go down.

I guess I have an alibi now! ;)

Nice looking tank! And the water thing.. that's freaking funny. Get an adapter to tap into your kitchen sink then you don't have to do that.

I rent. Is tehre a way I could plumb it in?

I rent. Is tehre a way I could plumb it in?

yes....look up the mighty mite ro/di system, it comes complete and includes a bathroom sink tap adapter, its 50 gpd and should be more then enough lol

some new pics

The borealis is starting to color up and the zoa's getting incorporated into the bridge. I have also setup a QT. The tank is getting to the point that I would hate to lose anything due to pests. I got these two mushrooms last week and dipped in coral rx. Flatworms galore! There was no way they were going straight into the tank. The QT is a 10gal. I'm thinking either PAR 30 or 38 over it?

Picture001.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture005.jpg

I rent too... from BRS you just unscrew that strainer deal on the tap and then you screw that the tap in and tadah. I swap from the strainer to the python attachment for my freshwater vacuum and the RO fitting.

DSCN0781.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

A little update...

I've got a few new corals to add to the mix! A birds of paradise and a purple plasma as far as SPS, and few rics. The wife loves them so I'm going to keep them in their own little area.

Picture004-1.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

Picture001-1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update.

My LED daylights went out two weeks ago right before a vacation! I called JBJ and they over-nighted me the wrong ballast. (which is hopefully the problem) They sent me the intermediate and I have the pro version of the LED hood.

Thankfully, I kept the cf quad hood that I purchased the tank with. I threw that on, took off for 10 days, and just got back today to a tank that is doing fine. My SPS is even looking better than when I had the LEDS on. I do see a slowdown in growth though. The only coral that looks worse is the frogspawn, which has faded.

Interesting that the cf quad hood has not only sustained the SPS, but has improved the color.

I called JBJ today and they are sending me the right ballast on their dime. Unluckily, its back ordered until the 19th. I'll update with pics tomorrow. Still have to unpack.

-Drew

tank looks great

Thanks tony!

I got a new camera and have been trying to figure out the best settings for pictures:

DSCF0051.jpg

DSCF0060.jpg

DSCF0071.jpg

DSCF0076.jpg

DSCF0081.jpg

DSCF0077.jpg

DSCF0078.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone,

Update with some new pics. Not a lot goin on here. I am having a little bit of extra diatoms that I'm currently trying to control with chemipure elite and a turbo snail. I have lots of growth and color in everything. Things are going well. Its hard to get the right colors on the corals. I haven't figured out my new camera yet.

DSCF0103.jpg

Zoa bridge coming along nicely:

DSCF0102.jpg

DSCF0101.jpg

Lots of growth on the borealis:

DSCF0100.jpg

DSCF0098.jpg

Archived