Cultivated Reef

Tidepool Collecting in Oregon.

AquaticEngineer

AquaticEngineer
which is why someday it will be 0 per person

Keep in mind that there is only a handful of people who keep coldwater marine aquariums, so the impact is ridiculously small.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AquaticEngineer

New Pics, not that great since we forgot to take pics until we were leaving since we were so excited to get down there and start collecting lol. :lol:

IMG_20110420_091237.jpg

IMG_20110420_091244.jpg

IMG_20110420_091151.jpg

IMG_20110420_091145.jpg

IMG_20110420_091217.jpg

That's right, I'm the most hardcore tidepooler on this BEACH!!! lol.

:lol: I meant they smoke a lot of weed in Eugene ;)

Haha, I was hoping you would clarify things for jgpicodope. Didn't expect you to be this...blunt! hardy har....

PS- yall look like the two most typical Oregonians ever. Which is awesome.

AquaticEngineer
Haha, I was hoping you would clarify things for jgpicodope. Didn't expect you to be this...blunt! hardy har....

PS- yall look like the two most typical Oregonians ever. Which is awesome.

LOL, thanks :lol:

AquaticEngineer
lol, tough guys. :lol:

Yeah we woke up at 3am, left town around 4 am after I picked up the othe two guys, got to Oceanside about 5:50, got geared up in the dark and walked the beach to the tide pool areas right at sun rise around 6:15 am.

We all pounded RockStars and smoked cigarettes the whole way there, and then when the tide started coming back in around 9:25am we stopped and had some celebratory beers back at the Jeep.

Then we headed over to Twin Arch Rocks in Garibaldi on Tillamook Bay, thats where we found all the Gunnels at :D From there we headed out towards Barview Jetty but the tide was so low that the pools on the inside of the jetty where completely empty. So we headed out towards the jetty itself.

At that point we took an inventory of what we had already colleceted and decided we didnt need anything else and headed back for lunch and to grab some more water and substrate.

We got home around 2:30pm that day and got everything acclimated and in my tanks by about 5:30.

So yeah we are tough guys B) ....... :lol:

When your back from school your gonna have to come with us on one of these spring tide adventures :D

AquaticEngineer

I couldn't remember if I posted this over here or not, but here's a quick list of what I could remember thayt we got.

3 different colors of Rock Sculpin

1 large different type of sculpin unlike the rock sculpins ( need to grab my book and ID him)

2 Large Green Rock Gunnels ( Which may be a male and female because we did see lots of baby gunnels so small they were still clear with just yellow eyes and less than an inch long)

Purple Urchins

Aggregating Anemones

Green Anemones

2 Varietys of Orange Hyrdroids ( the ones the opalescent nudbranchs eat, we watched them eat some and found a lot of them laying eggs within the hydroids)

3 colors of Ochre stars in varying sizes

Kelp Crabs

3 color varients of chitons

Several Large feather duster tube worms

Different Algaes and seagrass'

Hell I'll have to go home and take an inventory, the only thing we didnt get some of that we found where the several different colors of sponge from black to green, yellow to orange, and bright red. Left them there since we didnt know for sure if we could keep them alive longe term.

damn! that's impressive. I've never had good luck with sponges, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try. That's what cw tanks are all about!

AquaticEngineer
damn! that's impressive. I've never had good luck with sponges, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try. That's what cw tanks are all about!

True, I will definitely get some when I do my indoor tank and get the auto feeder on it. Now that I know where and when to get them I can put them in my tank when I feel ready for them.

Speaking of which, there is another big minus tide on the morning of May 18th, I'm thinking I may go back again to Oceanside for the sponges, or try my luck up in near the mouth of the Columbia near Fort Stevens.

• 4 weeks later...
AquaticEngineer

Going again to the same spot collecting early thursday morning. Going to be about the same minus tide (-1.9) and this time I know where to look for what

Gonna get some more ulga algae, sponge rocks, green anemones, hoping for some larger rock sculpins (not mosshead sculpins this time ) or some different fish.

AquaticEngineer
Good luck!!! Hope you get some badass stuff!!!

:( Hope in one hand, and reality in the other right.....

Two of the best minus tides this year today and tomorrow morning and I couldn't get anyone to babysit for me.

No go on this trip, weak.

where are the darn pictures at? oregon is so much better for collecting stuff, CA sucks on that matter but well... off to enjoy the pics.... damn it no pics yet :rant:

AquaticEngineer

Heres some quick pics I recently took, it doesn't document all of the catch from the last trip but a good majority of it.

Mosshead Sculpin (aka the green anemone eating devil :angry: )

IMG_20110427_195920.jpg

Green Tidal Sculpin

IMG_20110427_195949.jpg

Anthoplura Xanthogramica ( Giant Green Anemone)

IMG_20110427_200008.jpg

Mosshead Sculpin in the middle, 2 color varients of Tidal Sculpin one on top one on bottome.

IMG_20110427_205913.jpg

Aggregating Anemones ( these ones had a very cool greenish body and hue to the mouth as well as the normal purple and white coloration)

IMG_20110427_205927.jpg

Purple Urchin, Purple Ochre Star, 2 color variations of Aggregating Anemone, Large mussel bottom left.

IMG_20110427_205948.jpg

AquaticEngineer

Looks like the next tidepool excursion will be Sunday June 5th.

We will be going to the same spot as last time on exposed rocks near Three Arch Rocks National Wildlife Refuge in Oceanside.

There is a low tide of -1.0 at 9:52 am.

Sunrise is at 5:28 AM.

We are planning on leaving town around 4 am so that we can be there at sunrise and make the most of the outgoing tide until 9:52 am.

If there is anyone from the forums that is from Oregon and wants to tag along let me know :D

• 3 weeks later...
AquaticEngineer

Some of the critters we gathered where:

Aggregating anemones

Some really cool red algae with feather type leaves.

Limpets

Lined Chitons

Mossy Chitons

hermit crabs

some small 6 legged stars (gray and pink mostly)

tube worms

orange hydroids

Several colors of sculpins (Green, Coralline pink spotted, brown/red)

2 very small clingfish ( one red, one yellow)

a 3" cling fish that is yellow with very tiny red dots

porcelin crabs

Red kelp crab

a couple small sand burrowing crabs that are white with crazy lines on the shell

I grabbed some orange sponge and a few chunks of some strange encrusting stoney coral.

Update with pics :D

IMG_20110605_083041.jpg

IMG_20110605_083109.jpg

IMG_20110605_083118.jpg

IMG_20110605_083031.jpg

IMG_20110605_083235.jpg

IMG_20110605_083137.jpg

IMG_20110605_083142.jpg

IMG_20110605_083147.jpg

IMG_20110605_083224.jpg

IMG_20110605_105623.jpg

IMG_20110605_110255.jpg

IMG_20110605_105638.jpg

Caught me a nice sized Kelp greenling, he didnt make it to the tank though ;) Strangely enough I did not know that their meat was blue before you cook it.

IMG_20110605_195009.jpg

This was all that was left, lol

IMG_20110605_195830.jpg

AquaticEngineer
oregon knows what's up.

living quite the life up there, guys.

:lol: Heck yeah, we have celebratory beers at that same spot before we leave each time.

olemanwinter

Last year I did some looking around in Oregon tide pools, but didn't collect anything. I was on vacation from the east coast. I don't want to hijack your thread, but I thought I would post a few pictures from my visit. If I ever go back I might collect and fedex to myself if I set up a cool water tank first.

Good luck with your collecting.

001kqo.jpg

002tdi.jpg

003khe.jpg

004qum.jpg

005sq.jpg

006xt.jpg

AquaticEngineer

Got an ID on the small white crabs with the lines on their shells.

They are juvenile Red Rock Crabs.

This is what the shell on them looks like. They are both about an inch and a half across.

5161248581_5ac65ee29b_o.jpg

I found this cool image guide that shows the different variants in color patterns exhibited by juvenile Red Rock Crabs.

Krause-NehringEtAl2010Fig1.gif

AquaticEngineer

Best part about the many different colorations of Red Rock Crab is that ODFW says I can take up to 24 per day regardless of size or sex B)

Archived