Pod Your Reef

Tidepool Collecting in Oregon.

AquaticEngineer

AquaticEngineer

Found some great photos of the place I'm going collecting this month using google maps and thought I'd share.

Oregon2009%20106.jpg

8047455.jpg

4781007.jpg

45897242.jpg

23757521.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AquaticEngineer
what will you collect and where is this?

Looking for more anemones and different fish as well as other inverts like some more porcelain crabs. I may take home some urchins and starfish if I find some I haven't seen before. What I'm really hoping for is to find cup corals or other things that are usually only found below the tidal zone since there will be a -1.7 tide when I'm there.

These pictures are of an area called Maxwell Point in Oceanside, OR. Just off shore are the large rock islands that make up the Three Arch Rocks National Wildlife Refuge.

AquaticEngineer

I got a scouting report from a local reefer who took his family there last month during a -.7 tide and they were able to find brittle stars, shrimp, cucumbers, sunflower stars, anemones and other fish there.

When I go it will be a whole FOOT lower than when they went B) Should be pretty awesome.

AquaticEngineer

So I've been reading about Grunt Sculpins breeding habits and locations and it looks as though I may be lucky enough to be visiting an area that Grunt Sculpins have been seen at in the past during breeding season. Looks like I'll be looking inside of every empty barnicle, hole, and crevice I come across.

AquaticEngineer
Will you be taking some things home?

Oh yeah I will be :) I'm bringing along a buddy with me so we can legally take 10 unclassified invertebrates per person, and another local guy that is buying one of my old coldwater tanks is hopefully coming as well.

So combined we can legally take up to 30 inverts that day.

He doesn't have his tank setup yet but I told him if he wants to come and collect stuff I can hold it for him until his tank is ready.

Very cool. Every time I see a thread like this, specifically regarding collection off the Oregon Coast, it makes me want to setup a cold water tank.

I wish I lived closer so I could just go out and look for neat stuff to bring home when ever I feel like it. Being 8 hours away is a bit far though to be transporting stuff home or just going casually for fun :(

AquaticEngineer
reminds me of the game Myst. great pics

I know what you mean totally!

The only reason I can figure that the tide pools near Three Arch Rocks aren't designated a Marine Garden is that they are only accessible during extreme low tides.

AquaticEngineer

Thought I'd share the out look for my upcoming collection trip :D

Here's the weather report:

Partly Cloudy

High 54°F

Precip 10% chance

Wind: From NW at 9 mph

Tides for Barview starting with April 20, 2011.

Low 9:03 AM -1.6

Tides for Garibaldi starting with April 20, 2011.

Low 9:18 AM -1.7

Tides for Miami Cove starting with April 20, 2011.

Low 9:33 AM -1.6

Tides for Bay City starting with April 20, 2011.

Low 10:07 AM -1.4

Tides for Tillamook, Hoquarten Slough starting with April 20, 2011.

Low 11:22 AM -1.0

That's awesome! I'm pretty jealous man. That place looks like a reefers heaven. Or at least I hope that's what reefer heaven looks like lol

AquaticEngineer
That's awesome! I'm pretty jealous man. That place looks like a reefers heaven. Or at least I hope that's what reefer heaven looks like lol

I grew up in Eugene, OR. and thats pretty close to reefer heaven, but of a different kind B):P:lol:

I grew up in Eugene, OR. and thats pretty close to reefer heaven, but of a different kind B):P:lol:

That's true but cold water reefs are equally fascinating in my opinion.

AquaticEngineer
That's true but cold water reefs are equally fascinating in my opinion.

:lol: I meant they smoke a lot of weed in Eugene ;)

But yes, I think coldwater reefs are more fascinating than warm water for the simple fact that they are less explored, and are less accessible than tropcial reefs.

AquaticEngineer
Good luck! (ps - no one actually follows the 10 per person per day rule ;) )

For legal reasons, I have no idea what your talking about ;) lol.

Archived