Coral Vue Hydros

Sammy's 40B Build

sammy113

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seano Hermano

Total awesomeness! :D It all looks great, Sammy! What lights will you be hanging over the tank? Is it the LED with acrylic casing that you built?

I have to agree; the skeleton is pretty sweet.

Woah! There has been a lot of progress since I last viewed this thread! The tank is looking great and that stand is badass. I can't wait to see it full of water :)

Well i hope my 40b enjoyed her dry time as much as i did even though i had nightmares with it cause tonight she's gonna get wet!

Here some pics after the final touches

e063845a.jpg

Last dry moment :P

ec1ad691.jpg

Here's my RO unit. Yesterday i changed all its cartriges. I removes the dual Di it had on top of the membrane and decided to replace one of the carbon stages cause it had two for a Di resing cartridge which is more efficient than the horizontal tubes it had before. My tap water is just 40 TDS which is not bad so my resing lasts enough.

746eac7e.jpg

And it began!

06db9116.jpg

Of course i had to try the new lamp to see the coverage :P

3adbb037.jpg

And a short run around the system

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c216/nig...er/23020cb2.mp4

Sorry for the wires mess in the cabinet. It is from the lamp and i was just testing

bwoodward0012

getting better and better. i keep confusing this with d'espresso's new build, but yours is a lot bigger. probably because of the cabinets and their contents..... who's copying who?

Seano Hermano
getting better and better. i keep confusing this with d'espresso's new build, but yours is a lot bigger. probably because of the cabinets and their contents..... who's copying who?

Awesome! It's water time! Now we just have to wait one or two months for it to cycle? :huh::o : That part won't be as fun.

Thanks! :lol: gotta check d'espresso build. I've probably seen it but cant remember now :P

Hermano, thats not as fun but it will be worth the wait ;)

Another :)

c9a935b4.jpg

Rabidgerbil38

Looking great Sammy, BTW why did you decide barebottom? Are you worried about nutrients, or do you just want a cleaner look?

Looking great Sammy, BTW why did you decide barebottom? Are you worried about nutrients, or do you just want a cleaner look?

I was a bit worried about nutrients. I want to be able to mantain a low nutrient system along with the big skimmer and possibly biopellets. I also like the idea of having a strong flow without sand storms and the ease of removing detritus on the bottom. What i'm going to miss is the natural look of a sandbed and some fishes I wish to had but require a sandbed. By the way, I'm going to get rid of my female watchman goby cause it loves to burrow in the sand and stirr it. I have a friend who's got a male so hopefully they'll get along

The system is now up running. The R/O filled the whole 50ish system in about 7 hours. So far everything looks good to me except that the return pump is too strong. I currently have 3 hoses recirculating in the sump feeding from the same pump and still have a LOT of flow in the display. I even had to close a bit the ball valve. The pump is a bit noisy for my taste but i guess thats what it takes to go bigger and stronger. The rocks stayed a whole day cooking in vinegar and water so i guess there will not be a big cycle at all. I just tossed a few unfrozen shrimps in a stick to trigger cycle and add MB7

Hey,

The pump is a bit noisy for my taste but i guess thats what it takes to go bigger and stronger.

Didn't you consider it being pretty silent? Perhaps it's just a matter of bearing/impact sound transition?.

Anyway: More pictures please :)

Cheers,

Nikolas

Hey,

Didn't you consider it being pretty silent? Perhaps it's just a matter of bearing/impact sound transition?.

Anyway: More pictures please :)

Cheers,

Nikolas

Yeah I know! I know this pump for being a work horse while being silent. Dont know if its something wrong with mine (after all that has happend with it...) but like you said, thers also more involved like vibration and resonance from the stand. Im going to fin a piece of rubber pad to sit the pump over it and see if it helps.

More pics coming soon. Now with better qiality. Hopefully I'll get my computer back from repair shop today

could it be possible? at just about a week that it started, threw 2 big unfrozen shrimps to decompose. One of them got sucked by the pump which was broken into a million pieces. The water was cloudy, stinky and ammonia was shoot a high level. Now water is crystal clear, currently running skimmer & biopellets from first day? Was also dosing MB7

IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

This one looks darker than it actually was. Looked to me very close to the first color

IMG_1438.jpg

I'm not in any hurry at all, just amazed of this results.

Rabidgerbil38

I had this same experience the first time I tried mb7 and vodka. I couldn't believe it but it stayed stable and I started adding the CUC without issue. Organically available carbon is a wonderful thing B)

yeah I see. :huh: Anyway, I'm gonna give another good week, keep up dosing MB7 and gonna toss another shrimp to increase and maintain some bacterias alive. Then gonna check up levels again and I may consider to drop a pair of clownfish since there is actually nothing there to clean. I decided to do this without light to prevent algaes. Could also try some snails and hermits from my tank

Looks good, just take it slow. MB7 was amazing for my tank to start up. I dosed it every day for about another 2 weeks after it was "done" cycling and now I dose once a week or so.

Looks good, just take it slow. MB7 was amazing for my tank to start up. I dosed it every day for about another 2 weeks after it was "done" cycling and now I dose once a week or so.

Thanks, how much did you dosed everyday? and how much now weekly?

Thanks, how much did you dosed everyday? and how much now weekly?

For my 12g I overdosed. I was using a half a cap every day and now about the same amount weekly (whenever I remember to be honest, but I try to space it out at least a few days). IIRC that is the dosage for 25g. I haven't had a single member of my CuC die and my fish and corals are all doing really well, so I am a fan indeed. Its only been about 6-7 weeks though, but so far I'm very happy and its the only thing I have dosed.

I would try a small crab or snail or some other invert that you plan for your CuC and continue to monitor. Looking forward to seeing this puppy pan out :D

Cool caise im dosing a capful every other day. Guess im good with that. I could even do 1/2 cap every day. Then I plan to add mb7 instead of a whole cap weekly maybe 2 or 3 drops daily? But sometimes i dont even have time to look atthe tank so I wont be too G.I with that

Hope everything is ok over there Sammy..are you one of the lucky ones with power?

Thanks Maria :flower: I got power outage at around 2:30am. It was very windy and rainy. I couldn't sleep well and in the morning I started freaking out about the tank :scarry: at least temp was still at around 81F but I didn't got any circulation or water movement at all. Power came back at 2:00pm today so almost 12 hours later. Everything is good :) Now we're just getting heavy rains. Next thing I'm going to buy: Vortech Battery backup. That should keep me powered for more than 24 hours. We still have a chance for more cause September is almost there. This is high hurricane season!

Thanks for asking ;)

I thought about you when they said over 100,000 without power in PR..I was like nooooo!!!!

I hope we don't get hit..I am a worry wart even tho I have a generator :scarry:

I am very happy everything is ok on your end :grouphug:

Archived