inTank Media Baskets

Sammy's 40B Build

sammy113

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sammy your tank looks freakin amazing! My next tank will be barebottom for sure, well, my next pico anyways lol. Is that white plastic? Or did you just paint the bottom pane white? Or is that just the white from the stand?

:)

Nano tanker Nick

I'm following this too. I'm in the process of building my 40 breeder so i'm going to steal some of your ideas! Great looking tank.

Thanks all guys :) Zero, the bottom is starboard. It is used in boats and marine applications. Is some kind of polymer or plastic. Slightly softer than acrylic though, not to "crispy" lol its almost like the one we use in the kitchen for cutting veggies and stuff. Its porous like.

Thanks all guys :) Zero, the bottom is starboard. It is used in boats and marine applications. Is some kind of polymer or plastic. Slightly softer than acrylic though, not to "crispy" lol its almost like the one we use in the kitchen for cutting veggies and stuff. Its porous like.

oooo nooiiice. Now I know what to get! :)

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been very busy with school and work. Currently building an LED lamp for a 240g tank and LED lamp, filtration system and plumbing for a 150g Cube. Also built a sump for a 125g

Gonna hijack my topic with some pics of what I've been working on recently:

150g Marineland cube installed in LFS (owner is my cousin)

0c3b3a81.jpg~original

3ef24a3b.jpg~original

Sump for cube

328040_10150335748931443_268716801442_8611184_1903088062_o.jpg~original

cbdb982e.jpg~original

Drain, return and manifold

2652d2e4.jpg~original

7d81c009.jpg~original

Gen-x return pump (2130gph) ouch!

51911dc3.jpg~original

856793b0.jpg~original

Here's the lamp design for this tank. This will house 72 LEDs and the center piece will hide 6 Meanwells and Typhon controller

piposlamp.jpg~original

Here's the sump for the 125g

Sump is 40" x 13" x 16"

340544_10150334497076443_268716801442_8602597_419303920_o.jpg~original

and built a couple of this filter sock holders

194687_10150287195581443_268716801442_8262749_592194_o.jpg~original

Now into some colorful pics, here some of the new stuff i got

Green monti cap

DSC_0002.jpg~original

Some rics. Rock got about 5 different colors

DSC_0015.jpg~original

and got this free frag of nice zoas

DSC_0018.jpg~original

More to come after I manage to clean the tank to take some pics and FTS. So far the SPS are showing some nice growth. The color is not so great but they're getting it back. At least there is great polyp extension and it's actually growing. Some other stuff I got not pictured is a 4" red monti cap. Purple rim montipora, Blue millepora, rose millepora, garf bonsai and some other acros I don't know the names :P

Seano Hermano

Awesome job on the sump and plumbing. That should be a nice ref tank. :)

That DIY concept LED looks like a Vertex Illumina. B)

Sweet rics.

Just catching up here, on your thread. Lots of cool corals.

I love the how the white looks with your BB tank. You have high enough flow to not need to routinely clean the bottom?

Pics as promised :D

Acan "island"

DSC_0925.jpg

Acan Island looks cool. I've always wanted a scoly corner in my tank.

FTS

DSC_0981.jpg

DSC_0930.jpg

Wait, what do you have for flow? I see now powerheads? lol...

Hey Sammy! How are you man????

Congratulations ...your reef is very nice!!!! I love the acanthastrea island!!!

Now finaly I post some pictures of mine!!!! Lokk at my signature latter!!!

Hails from Brazil!!!!

D.

Hi Hermano :)

You got that right, it does look like a Vertex lamp. I actually did it without thinking about it but I think my mind was actually thinking about it :lol: Since that uses two heatsinks similar to my lamp and its wide, the piece in the center help to maintain everything hidden.

I must say the starboard in the bottom looks white just the first days. Now that my tank started to develop coraline and some algae looks pretty much like my rocks right now. Because the material is porous, is not easy to scrape.

I do have a MP10 in one side and return from the other which puts some nice flow but I'm planning in either buy a new MP10 or get a used MP40 from a friend for $225. Its very easy to siphon out the detritus which basically is snails poop that accumulates all in the same corner

Here's a crappy iphone pic

1b82942e.jpg~original

Hi Daniel! I'm good, hope everything is alright over there! Thanks for you comment, good to see you back around.

Lookin' good, Sammy.. you've been giving me good ideas if I ever feel like building my 40B or just stick to the plan to use it as a sump.. haha.

• 4 weeks later...

Today I gave a little love to my tank. Did 5g water change and general maintenance routine. Also build a small LED strip for my frag compartment in my sump and moved all the frags from the display to its new area.

Here some pic of the frag lamp. Pictures of the tank coming soon when it clears up and my camera battery charges :P

375e95e0.jpg~original

748421d8.jpg~original

28f70ccc.jpg~original

aa413046.jpg~original

45f7e51f.jpg~original

41dd4bfc.jpg~original

When I was doing the water change, I turned off the skimmer and when finished turned the main pump on then then skimmer but didn't started working. Took off the pump and this is what I got:

615e13e5.jpg~original

358b6b05.jpg~original

e64a3e70.jpg~original

435c2e55.jpg~original

Sending now email to coralvue cause water blaster pumps have 3 year warranty. Hopefully that cover this damage :angry:

Rabidgerbil38

Thats a sweet grow out area you got there, though 9 leds for such a small area seems like overkill even without optics. Bummer on the skimmer, I hope everything works out with it

Thats a sweet grow out area you got there, though 9 leds for such a small area seems like overkill even without optics. Bummer on the skimmer, I hope everything works out with it

Thanks to all. I have the lamp hooked to the typhon controller as well since I was just using 2 channels. Right now I'm going just up to 25% and looks like is more than enough :D

Here some more pictures. Some of the better looking corals right now. Some SPS are looking pale. At least they're growing and polyp extension is great. Checked my levels and everything looks good to me. Ca 460, Alk 8.5, PH 8.1, Nitrates 0. Didn't checked Mg cause I'm lazy and phosphates I ran out of reagent for my Hanna checker. Decided to drop the light intensity to see if it's too much light but I was running just close to 50%. Right now Blues are @ 40% and whites @ 30%

DSC_0078.jpg~original

DSC_0080.jpg~original

DSC_0091.jpg~original

DSC_0082.jpg~original

DSC_0084.jpg~original

DSC_0086.jpg~original

DSC_0085.jpg~original

DSC_0087.jpg~original

DSC_0088.jpg~original

DSC_0090.jpg~original

Full Tank

DSC_0097.jpg~original

Here some pictures of what I've done to hide and protect the typhon controller

Acrylic pieces laser cut

IMG_1951.jpg~original

IMG_1950.jpg~original

IMG_1952.jpg~original

IMG_1953.jpg~original

IMG_1956.jpg~original

IMG_1957.jpg~original

IMG_1958.jpg~original

Then painted it white. Used clear acrylic cause I had it already and didn't want to buy a piece of white acrylic.

IMG_1967.jpg~original

IMG_1968.jpg~original

thanks espresso. I love BB so far cause the detritus that is not being sucked by my overflow (I have a dead spot under the vortech, need another in the other side) I can easily remove it in my weekly water change. The plastic is very hard to keep white cause coraline is nearly impossible to prevent is this porous texture. Once its completely violet will look better. That or I'll put some sand in :lol:

Archived