Coral Vue Hydros

Its pretty, but is it evil?

MrBritton

Hi, im wondering if this anemone is a mojano or any other kind of pest, i bought my tank and rock as a second hand package and this appeared from nowhere, its not too big right now, at its largest its roughly the size of a dollar.

Just wondering if it needs to be ejected swifty or not & on that same note, as my tank cycles, can i expect the huge rise in ammonia to kill of some pesky aiptasia that has also hitch hiked?

Any help would be hugely appreciated

post-64238-1300042767_thumb.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RayWhisperer

I stand corrected. It very well may be a majano. I didn't think they had so many rows of tentacles. After doing a bit of google searching, many do.

i assumed it was an anemone as it took a while before it settled to where it is now, im guessing that if its something cool like a bta, it will probably die in the cycle anyway, whereas if its a pest, it'll prob thrive :)

hmmm, doesnt look like that bleached bta, i dont know a huge deal but it kinda looks like it should be white?

thanks fro all the help so far tho, much appreciated

I dont think BTA, googling mojano they can all look so different haha. im gonna go with raywhisperer and say maybe mojano. They also have those bulbous tentacles.. Maybe try to isolate it on a small rock somewhere..or nuke it =) just in case.

new species of albino rics !

haha

RayWhisperer

Here is a good example of a majano with more than three to four rows of tentacles. Something before today, I had never seen.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/AnemIDF25.htm

Majano CAN reach pest levels in nutrient rich environments. In a nutrient poor environment, they don't seem to spread much at all. The decision to keep or kill it is yours. Heck, there may even be a few members willing to take it off your hands.

Here is a good example of a majano with more than three to four rows of tentacles. Something before today, I had never seen.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/AnemIDF25.htm

Majano CAN reach pest levels in nutrient rich environments. In a nutrient poor environment, they don't seem to spread much at all. The decision to keep or kill it is yours. Heck, there may even be a few members willing to take it off your hands.

huh, looking at that link, it looks very much like the mini carpet it even has a slight tinge of pink on the bubbles, but then i scroll down and it looks like the mojano. now im stuck on what to do.....hmmmmm....

RayWhisperer

It's definitely not a mini carpet. Look at the pattern of the tentacles on the mini carpet. Yours looks nothing like that. The touch of pink is only because it's bleached due to lack of light. It's majano, or some other closely related "pest" anemone.

Personally, I'd leave it for now. If it survives the cycle, see what becomes of it. If it becomes invasive, you can take action. If not, you'll have a little added biodiversity.

Hmmm... it could be a ball tipped corallimorph, I had one of these guys as a hitchhiker. They tend to run a little more translucent than the pic you showed but can definitely be all white like that as well.

I also vote for majano though, those things can look like anything!

RayWhisperer
Hmmm... it could be a ball tipped corallimorph, I had one of these guys as a hitchhiker. They tend to run a little more translucent than the pic you showed but can definitely be all white like that as well.

I also vote for majano though, those things can look like anything!

The thought of something along those lines had crossed my mind, as well. Until the OP posted something about it moving then settling into one spot. Pretty much solidified my opinion of it being a nem at that point.
Monochrome5
The thought of something along those lines had crossed my mind, as well. Until the OP posted something about it moving then settling into one spot. Pretty much solidified my opinion of it being a nem at that point.

Ditto, though the movement aspect certainly points to nem. Very few things underwater are supposed to be white, haha. It may be a deepwater majano species, though. They tend to have little (if any) pigmentation and get very bubble-tipped. Super rare, though. I'd bet it's either that, or to be super vague... Actinaria sp.

It's definitely neat, and if you ever decide you don't want it send it my way :)

ok, not sure why i didnt do this in the first place, but i contacted the person i got the LR from and asked her.................she said...........

& the winner is el fabuloso, for his first guess, its a baby bta,

question now is will it survive?

thanks to you all for your help, sorry if i inadvertently wasted you time

RayWhisperer

Without seeing that thing in person, I can't say anything 100%. However, I can almost guarantee you that isn't a baby BTA. Consider that about 99%.

• 1 month later...
Without seeing that thing in person, I can't say anything 100%. However, I can almost guarantee you that isn't a baby BTA. Consider that about 99%.

I have been target feeding this thing for a little while, maybe once a week and its eating, i have another picture if you would care to peruse and give your opinions

thanks

post-64238-1303094960_thumb.jpg

Builder Anthony

Looking nice......Alot of people scrap things and get parinoid.I think this thread shows what can be acheived by leaveing unknown things in the tank.

Archived