Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Its pretty, but is it evil?

MrBritton

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like mojano. I've never seen a bta go up like a mushroom towards the light. And I've seen everything ;-)

Actually its not going towards the light, the picture needs to be rotated though 90, it actually stretching to get its tentacles into the flow that carries the food, dunno if that makes a diff or not?

Looks like mojano. I've never seen a bta go up like a mushroom towards the light. And I've seen everything ;-)

Obviously not.

Lookin good OP, can't wait to see it color up.

lawnmowerblenny
Obviously not.

Lookin good OP, can't wait to see it color up.

ahhahaha yeah true story lol I love to see people proved wrong.

Dude I was joking about knowing everything 'obviously' and to be honest I don't really don't give a crap about this just bored at Starbucks for an hour. Looked like a mojano when I googled it...

Well whatever it is, i will keep feeding it & i am trying different things on tonight menu is a choice piece of raw tiger shrimp, day after next will be green lipped mussel ) & hopefully get a solid confirmation one day, although if truth be told, i am really hoping that it is a bta & that I can get it back to health.

If anybody can help with a feeding plan, please let me know, I have never had a nem so no idea what is best to feed...

watch this space....

Definitely a RBTA! It's bleached though. Feed it small amounts weekly until it gains back a bit more color and keep it lit well. Keep your params stable and it will gain it's color back.

If anybody can also offer advice on how to stop my peppermint shrimp from hassling it at feeding time, i throw in 1/4 block of mysis for my fish & it lures one pep away, but the other sticks around the nem as if it knows & as soon as i feed it, the shrimp is trying to get inside the nem to get the food out. is this hurting it at all?

If anybody can also offer advice on how to stop my peppermint shrimp from hassling it at feeding time, i throw in 1/4 block of mysis for my fish & it lures one pep away, but the other sticks around the nem as if it knows & as soon as i feed it, the shrimp is trying to get inside the nem to get the food out. is this hurting it at all?

It may bother the nem. Turn the pumps off when you feed and while it's feeding put a plastic bowl over it so the shrimp can't get to it.

Glad you're keeping it, it's pretty. I hope you can pull out through, if it's eating and you got some lights, you have a good chance

It may bother the nem. Turn the pumps off when you feed and while it's feeding put a plastic bowl over it so the shrimp can't get to it.

Unfortunately it has placed itself where its not possible to cover, what do you all think, is it worth the sacrifice of a shrimp?

My pep was more trouble than the aiptasia it was supposed to keep in control. Every time I fed our duncan coral, the pep would dig in and tear the food out causing damage to the duncan. The shrimp expired and I have not replaced it.

What size tank are you working with? Maybe two peps is too many.

Well whatever it is, i will keep feeding it & i am trying different things on tonight menu is a choice piece of raw tiger shrimp, day after next will be green lipped mussel ) & hopefully get a solid confirmation one day, although if truth be told, i am really hoping that it is a bta & that I can get it back to health.

If anybody can help with a feeding plan, please let me know, I have never had a nem so no idea what is best to feed...

watch this space....

You will need to feed it every other day *IF* it is a bleached BTA.

It looks like one from the second picture but I can't be sure. It also looks like it is behaving like one in that its sheltered itself under a rock and will stretch itself out towards light/food and then retract itself under the rock at night.

At that size the best thing you can feed it will be PE Mysid. Not regular mysid, not krill, not brine shrimp. The reason is the fat and fatty acid contents of the PE Mysid. And for sure nothing with a hard shell or bone like freeze dried krill or silversides.

Feed a single PE Mysid at a time. Wait for it to completely "swallow" the first piece then offer another piece and repeat. Continue to do so until it spits out the last piece fed.

Over time as it grows you can switch to silversides. Just make sure that the PE Mysid and anything else you give it are fully defrosted and close to tank temp.

Keep in mind (and for reference you can see this in my 60 gallon tank thread) that rose BTA's can get up to over one foot in diameter when well fed.

Regarding your shrimp... Use the feeding tong to swat it every time it comes close. That is after you feed the shrimp. Otherwise its going to go after the food in the nem with a vengeance after all it wants to eat too and is only doing what is natural for it.

Oh and make sure you have decent lighting. Nems need T5 or MH or LED though if its a small tank you might be able to use PC's. And expect it to move on you. They will do that for what appears to be no reason at all. The best way to keep them where you want them is to constantly feed them at that spot. They will begin to associate the location as being a good food source.

thanks everybody, especially urchinhead, that is some great advice, thanks for taking the time. I am going to get some PE mysis and give it my best shot.

I will keep you all updated with any progress

lawnmowerblenny
Feed the pep to the alleged Rbta. 2 birds with one stone, so to speak.

I agree...

shouldnt flush it, just feed it and maybe get some sexy shrimp...

Try feeding the shrimp a larger piece of silverside. Mine gets so caught up in eating I could feed the rest of my tank without an issue. She will actually come out and wait to get its chunk of fish when she sees the tongs in the water.

Ok, so i have been feeding this thing and it has been happily eating, I have not been able to purchase any PE mysis yet so have been feeding pieces of raw shrimp, mussel & regular mysis.

This evening after feeding I happened to be looking at it and noticed something coming out or going into its mouth so I took a picture, I am not sure but i think it was some kind of worm, any ideas?

Anyhow, in a horrified panic, i decided to yank the rock the nem was attached to as i could not get my forceps/tweezers anywhere near it & the worm thing stayed behind & vanished. The nem does not look happy now so i have taken a couple more pictures for everybody to hopefully advise me.

please see what you see & let me know what you think,

thanks for your time everybody

this is what it looked like, 1 hour & 2 hours after

post-64238-1303792912_thumb.jpg

post-64238-1303793292_thumb.jpg

post-64238-1303793313_thumb.jpg

post-64238-1303793322_thumb.jpg

well, i got the worm thing, yep it was a worm... not sure what, dont care think it was a fire worm, bout 6" long so i flushed it down the toilet :)

Archived