inTank Media Baskets

Thinking of going barebottom do clams need sand?

GSXR1000

No, you can place your clams on LR, but clams have a tendency to attach themselves via byssal glands at the base of their shells. Some clams will even burrow themselves into LR.

By keeping them on sand, they are easily moved from one spot to another as they don't have anything but sand grains to attach to. Once one attaches to LR or the tank bottom, it's trickier to move and you can do quite a bit of damage to the clam if you're forced to cut the byssal glands.

depends on the clam.

crocea - rocks

deresa - sand

maxima - rocks

squamosa - sand

gigas - sand

hippopus - sand (not 100% sure, but I think)

This is not to say they CANT be put in rockwork or sand when their natural preference is the opposite.

A lot of people put a little dish or plastic lid, such as a margerine tub lid, under them with rubbly sand in it. This will keep them from attaching right to the glass if you don't want to have any substrate in the tank.

Wash out a margerine tub lid (no soap) or small dish and fill it with aragonite sand, then place the clam on top of the sand.

i second the clam shell i use them for frag rocks all the time. they kcik much ass and the "look" more natural. besides that you can pick them up at your lfs for.... get this... free! WOOT! WOOT! :D

Archived