Innovative Marine Aquariums

alfieFIVE - 5g Pico Build

alfiefive

alfiefive
Welp, now you know... :P

one down, two to go! they'd make a great upgrade home for a hermit. that was sort of the master plan :P

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
alaskan84
one down, two to go! they'd make a great upgrade home for a hermit. that was sort of the master plan :P

lookin great alfie! How about a new FTS? I'll be trying to snap shots today and upload them during work.

alfiefive

Alaskan, will do. Just did a water change and when things get a little less cloudy I'll throw one up for ya!

looking good =) i like the idea of the lighting for the fuge

Thanks! Chaeto appears to be growing and I'm happy about the decision to add the additional volume and different filtration methods.

alfiefive

FTS 5/2/11. I am pretty sure I cannot see anything horrifically wrong (this is my first tank so if something is going wrong from reading my thread or looking at my pics please tell me!).

The GSP fragments are sort of opening one polyp at a time, but each frag has opened polyps on it so far... Just a matter of time it seems until more open up?

BPUcP.jpg

"OMG, I can't believe everything is alive!"

TwBZR.jpg

Quick Q. This hermit crab has been like this for almost a week now. His legs are moving and he is clearly not dead. My thought is maybe that he is about to molt? He immediately retracts if something gets close and his antennae are moving all the time. My parameters are stable. Anyone seen this type of behavior before? The research I have done indicates that either he is dying or he is molting or that "hermits just do this sometime." There are accounts of hermits doing this all over the place so I'm not sure what to think.

Bbyrx.jpg

Cheapreef27
FTS 5/2/11. I am pretty sure I cannot see anything horrifically wrong (this is my first tank so if something is going wrong from reading my thread or looking at my pics please tell me!).

BPUcP.jpg

"OMG, I can't believe everything is alive!"

TwBZR.jpg

Quick Q. This hermit crab has been like this for almost a week now. His legs are moving and he is clearly not dead. My thought is maybe that he is about to molt? He immediately retracts if something gets close and his antennae are moving all the time. My parameters are stable. Anyone seen this type of behavior before? The research I have done indicates that either he is dying or he is molting or that "hermits just do this sometime." There are accounts of hermits doing this all over the place so I'm not sure what to think.

Bbyrx.jpg

Flip him over?

alfiefive
Flip him over?

Tried with no effect. It's like his body is in lockdown mode. He has zero interest in moving, but retains instinctive behavior like retracting when something is near or searching the nearby area.

I thought about shoving a mysis into his face, but finding something to eat in my tank isn't that hard :P

Drift Monkey

GSP will open, give it time. The hermit...he may be molting or dying? I guess you'll see...:P

alfiefive
GSP will open, give it time. The hermit...he may be molting or dying? I guess you'll see...:P

Every day a new polyp seems to open up wide. As for the hermit, I'm treating it as a learning experience so we'll see what happens!

Every day a new polyp seems to open up wide. As for the hermit, I'm treating it as a learning experience so we'll see what happens!

Hermits are weird... mine was hanging out like this the other day turned he was just molting.

alfiefive

WOW! Caught my emerald being naughty for the first time and going to town on my new GSP! Maybe this is why it is opening slowly. It's also possible that the crab is eating dieoff from the matte/below the matte of the frags and not actually going after the coral. But I will say this--Dorothy was very interested in whatever she was eating on/around/in my GSP frags!

Gave her a 1/4'' sq. of nori and we'll see what progresses.

alaskan84
WOW! Caught my emerald being naughty for the first time and going to town on my new GSP! Maybe this is why it is opening slowly. It's also possible that the crab is eating dieoff from the matte/below the matte of the frags and not actually going after the coral. But I will say this--Dorothy was very interested in whatever she was eating on/around/in my GSP frags!

Gave her a 1/4'' sq. of nori and we'll see what progresses.

I would say more times than I can count, I've glanced at my 28 gallon and said, HEY! My emerald is eating XXXX coral! after closer inspection ive pretty much concluded that they are just picking at the base/rock around the coral or cleaning detrius from around polyps etc. I've heard horror stories though...lets hope yours got a taste of the GSP and DIDNT like it :D

Personally I havent seen any of my hermits that are even close to being unable to right themselves...as they can and will totally come out of their shells. I have a couple larger hermits in my 28 gallon and they seem to be in fairly heavy shells. I have done what I think is a good deed of "unwedging" them from the rockwork, but for all I know they were just chilling there and not really stuck.

alfiefive

So I put my first zoas (the pink/blue imperial vice zoas from CM) in my tank on 4/13/2011 and during my water change today I noticed that this little frag has produced a BABY ZOA POLYP! Things are kind of closed up from my weekly maintenance but I'll try to snag a picture when I can :D

alaskan84
So I put my first zoas (the pink/blue imperial vice zoas from CM) in my tank on 4/13/2011 and during my water change today I noticed that this little frag has produced a BABY ZOA POLYP! Things are kind of closed up from my weekly maintenance but I'll try to snag a picture when I can :D

congrats alfie! I've noticed that the heads on my mohawk frag are growing noticably as well!

alfiefive
congrats alfie! I've noticed that the heads on my mohawk frag are growing noticably as well!

nice. some of the polyps on the imperials have grown significantly in size in addition to the matte growing. fun stuff, and the little baby polyps are pretty cute in a certain type of way.

nice. some of the polyps on the imperials have grown significantly in size in addition to the matte growing. fun stuff, and the little baby polyps are pretty cute in a certain type of way.

any new shots? we need weekly updates if your gonna retain your "eco-pico" club membership! :lol:

Quick and dirty pics! Got some ACANS. Don't have much lighting going at the moment for acclimation so these pics came out pretty horribly! Anyways, view:

Acans, just starting to open

dHJxW.jpg

FTS, will work on scape once things are looking comfortable and acclimated.

a0emi.jpg

Some better pics. Messed with camera settings a bit by reducing blue on the RBG. Seemed to help with shooting under a lot of actinic lighting. I only have a point and shoot.

9pTqF.jpg

bkIPH.jpg

4GnXt.jpg

you can see two new polyps forming on the base of the blue/pink zoas in this one:

bzIBJ.jpg

j7UEY.jpg

Today's parameters are:

salinity - 1.025

ph - 8.1

ammonia - 0

nitrite - 0

nitrate - 0

alk - 7

ca - 400

mg - 1200

phosphate - 0.18

Perfect weather for some mushrooms and a tyree monti undata? YES:

HOk9m.jpg

mZlxR.jpg

Today's parameters are:

salinity - 1.025

ph - 8.1

ammonia - 0

nitrite - 0

nitrate - 0

alk - 7

ca - 400

mg - 1200

phosphate - 0.18

Nice updates, acans look good alfie! I've been following DD recently and am very close to purchasing a yasha goby/shrimp pair...I just cant decide if I want to step my little pico up another level with livestock. If I do that i'm going to have to pay alot more attention to feeding/water changes etc. Right now I'm mainly just doing top offs and the softies look great. Good job on your testing too alfie.....

Nice updates, acans look good alfie! I've been following DD recently and am very close to purchasing a yasha goby/shrimp pair...I just cant decide if I want to step my little pico up another level with livestock. If I do that i'm going to have to pay alot more attention to feeding/water changes etc. Right now I'm mainly just doing top offs and the softies look great. Good job on your testing too alfie.....

thanks alaskan.

i think a goby shrimp pair would be awesome. i understand the hesitation to add a new level of life in the tank though. especially in an office tank, where the last thing you need is to increase the chances of being on the phone and glancing over at a dead fish or something similar and having a tank actually ADD to the stress of work :P

edited in picks of new stock. i am in love with the yellow clown gobies in the tanks at the fish store. they are so amazing to watch and extremely personable. if i couldn't resist the urge to get a fish, that would probably be it.

quick updated fts with something other than full-actinics... still only have one of the full white strips running as there are new corals in the tank, but there is some more white in this shot.

IJWes.jpg

quick updated fts with something other than full-actinics... still only have one of the full white strips running as there are new corals in the tank, but there is some more white in this shot.

IJWes.jpg

Nice, the colors look good! I have to either come in an hour early, or stay an hour after work to see my dawn/dusk mode which makes the colors pop more than full day or night.

Edit: is that your "normal" water level? just curious as I usually run my to the very top of the rim, almost bulging over :D mines not quite that low after a weekend fri/sat/sun with no top offs

Nice, the colors look good! I have to either come in an hour early, or stay an hour after work to see my dawn/dusk mode which makes the colors pop more than full day or night.

Edit: is that your "normal" water level? just curious as I usually run my to the very top of the rim, almost bulging over :D mines not quite that low after a weekend fri/sat/sun with no top offs

with the ac70 i usually run about an inch under the rim. but when i am adding stuff and doing water changes i'll choose the level based on salinity :D i like the look of the water to the top of the rim, but when you have to get your hands in the tank for new corals or whatever its a little troublesome so i keep the water level a little below until i feel like i can let it sit for a bit :D

with the ac70 i usually run about an inch under the rim. but when i am adding stuff and doing water changes i'll choose the level based on salinity :D i like the look of the water to the top of the rim, but when you have to get your hands in the tank for new corals or whatever its a little troublesome so i keep the water level a little below until i feel like i can let it sit for a bit :D

I didnt even think about your ac70....but yeah It did look like you have more surface flow than i do as well. Your totally right about putting your hand in there....friggin frustrates me everytime but hey, the price i pay to run to the brim :)

Archived