Top Shelf Aquatics

alfieFIVE - 5g Pico Build

alfiefive

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stomatellas rock!

They are GROSS to look at but OMG they must have jetpacks somewhere in that slimy mess because they are SO FAST.

They'll also reproduce really quick if you get a couple more! ;)

That's what I've read, so I held off because I think my CUC would starve out my tank if I got some mass-reproducing duo of stomas. Maybe when the margaritas eventually die I'll move more in.

That's what I've read, so I held off because I think my CUC would starve out my tank if I got some mass-reproducing duo of stomas. Maybe when the margaritas eventually die I'll move more in.

when i had my ada setup a while ago, my stomas reproduced within hours it seemed like haha

Drift Monkey
when i had my ada setup a while ago, my stomas reproduced within hours it seemed like haha

You had an ADA 60-F right? I really want one of those...:wub:

I'm bored and don't plan on anything to my tank soon, but I'm thinking about what would do well. I plan to keep zoas, rics, and some mini mini if possible. Maybe a fish.

Zoas and/or rics would probably be the first addition. I am thinking about making the rock in the front right of my scape a little zoa garden and growing rics from the sandbed up on the steepish-edge of the larger rock.

The top of the large rock is very close to the lighting so I'm a little unsure of what to do there.

There is a nice little "cave/tunnel" area between the right rock and the large rock, and I wonder if making it a zoa area would obscure the space between the rocks and ruin a potentially very visible home for something like a goby. On the other hand, I would like to let nature take its course. Just want to be smart about where I start growing my first things for both aesthetic and livestock-health reasons.

Thoughts?

In other news, I caught my nassarius piggybacking on a margarita. The nassarius really is a fast mover/very charismatic snail. Constantly jumping off things when he is out scavenging. I hope he has mal-intent re: the snail piggybacking and kills one of them so I can boost my stomatella/cerith population. :haha:

nimwafrica526

you seem very organized in your search and your picking of the CUC, the only thing i regret getting for my CUC are the nerite snails.... they just roam around, out of the tank, too much.

i got one electric blue hermit and it went to town on the algae that was in the tank, now i have to feed it sea weed so it doesnt starve lol

by the way i ended up using an iodine dip for the frags i got from the lfs, and im glad i did.... sooo many worms came off!

you seem very organized in your search and your picking of the CUC, the only thing i regret getting for my CUC are the nerite snails.... they just roam around, out of the tank, too much.

i got one electric blue hermit and it went to town on the algae that was in the tank, now i have to feed it sea weed so it doesnt starve lol

by the way i ended up using an iodine dip for the frags i got from the lfs, and im glad i did.... sooo many worms came off!

I can second the dip, whatever product you use, just pick one. I use coral rx on every frag/mushroom&zoa rock that I have put into my 28 gallon...I havent seen anything more than spaghetti worms/bristleworms & copepods that have came off my frags, but I wont risk getting somethign that I really dont want.

I saw your post about the dip and that is AWESOME. I'm glad I was able to help :D Can you talk a bit about how you did the dipping? I'll be doing that next time around.

I regret the margaritas in my CUC. They seem like lazy mofos, and for good reason: I should never have purchased them! :P I should give them a little bit of credit, though, they clean my powerheads and my glass like crazy. They just aren't very active, likely because they are not the right CUC for a tropical-temp tank.

Was the electric eating hair algae or another type? Out of curiosity. GHA is something I'd like to see gone in a month or two.

I saw your post about the dip and that is AWESOME. I'm glad I was able to help :D Can you talk a bit about how you did the dipping? I'll be doing that next time around.

I regret the margaritas in my CUC. They seem like lazy mofos, and for good reason: I should never have purchased them! :P I should give them a little bit of credit, though, they clean my powerheads and my glass like crazy. They just aren't very active, likely because they are not the right CUC for a tropical-temp tank.

Was the electric eating hair algae or another type? Out of curiosity. GHA is something I'd like to see gone in a month or two.

if your CUC does its job, I would expect it to be gone within a couple months. I do have GHA in my 28 gallon, but that is on the powerheads, and the powerhead power cable that hangs in the water as the snails cant seem to get to the cord :) My rocks and such are totally algae free though.

nimwafrica526

there were a few different kinds of algae, but most of it was hair algae. theres no visible algae in my tank now (granted its 3 gallons with a lot of snails)

as for the dip i went to get some coral RX but they were out and it was peak traffic time lol i wasn't about to go to another city so i bought some povidone(sp?) iodine from CVS it was 20 bucks for 12 fl oz and i got about a cup of tank water added 3ml to it and then put in the frag and swirled it around for 2 min.

so far it seems that all the frags have recovered except the darn blue cloves, they didn't open at all yesterday so hopefully today

FTS 3/31/2011

i089i.jpg

Separately, looking for advice on the direction I should face the upper-left corner pump in. It can swivel a) towards the surface or B) towards the sand and anywhere in between. So far, I have had it pointing towards the surface on low flow (creates a little backdraft and compliments the other pump nicely, in addition to giving a bit of shimmer that looks great on the tank).

I just nudged it a little bit away from the surface accidentally, which made me think about the issue. Any thoughts on intelligent pump placement welcome.

Algae! :scarry:

That is the GHA I've been talking about! Have been cleaning it daily but hesitant to continue on the same path now that the CUC & emerald are in there. Want them to feel comfortable in the tank and get to town on it.

My RODI and SW test great, so I think the nutrient source is the rock. And I cycled with too much light. Just waiting it out.

Drift Monkey
That is the GHA I've been talking about! Have been cleaning it daily but hesitant to continue on the same path now that the CUC & emerald are in there. Want them to feel comfortable in the tank and get to town on it.

My RODI and SW test great, so I think the nutrient source is the rock. Just waiting it out.

Is that chaeto helping to starve it out at all? If you're cycled, a bag of chemi-pure elite might also help...

Trye it could be massive die off from the rock itself. I'd had rock in the past that was like that.

Is that chaeto helping to starve it out at all? If you're cycled, a bag of chemi-pure elite might also help...

Trye it could be massive die off from the rock itself. I'd had rock in the past that was like that.

The chaeto was helping initially. I read that trimming the chaeto is essential to make sure it continues to grow in such a way as to use existing nutrients in the water, so I will trim it some tomorrow. It's 2x the size of when I got it, anyways.

In such a small tank with no fuge/other filtration I think I will up my water changes to bi-weekly to hinder additional growth. Did a half-gallon change today.

I do think it is the rock though. Not much of anywhere for this rock to leech nutrients except into the mere 5g of water surrounding it :P

I am cycled (meaning I have no ammonia since a few days prior to my CUC) but have not researched chemi-pure. Can you elaborate? I was under the impression I'd need some type of fuge to introduce it into a system like this.

your algae dosent look that bad at all alfie....wait till i get a shot of mine up when i put the cuc in....much longer i think & i've got a nice smooth mat of it on one corner of the sand bed as well. :o

I have been picking at it prior to a few days ago. I pick the really long strands to make sure they are something that my CUC can handle.

I agree, though, the GHA in my tank is more of something that I am watching and not something I'm concerned about in terms of overall tank health/risk. My parameters are stable for a while and my topoffs have been perfect, so I think I'm doing things right and the CUC has already been going to town (the top of the large rock used to be significantly more green, the cerith and big margarita love it up there).

I'm sure there are some little changes I can make to stunt its growth but once things settle down more with the CUC I think I'll be golden.

This system is sweet. Gonna be cool.

Thanks!

TOTM complimenting me!

AWWWWWW YEEAHHHHHH

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Drift Monkey
The chaeto was helping initially. I read that trimming the chaeto is essential to make sure it continues to grow in such a way as to use existing nutrients in the water, so I will trim it some tomorrow. It's 2x the size of when I got it, anyways.

In such a small tank with no fuge/other filtration I think I will up my water changes to bi-weekly to hinder additional growth. Did a half-gallon change today.

I do think it is the rock though. Not much of anywhere for this rock to leech nutrients except into the mere 5g of water surrounding it :P

I am cycled (meaning I have no ammonia since a few days prior to my CUC) but have not researched chemi-pure. Can you elaborate? I was under the impression I'd need some type of fuge to introduce it into a system like this.

I see...I don't think you necessarily need to trim it right now, it just needs to be rotated a bit.

I'd say a weekly 100% (or as close as you can get to it anyway) would probably help tons since you're already cycled.

Well, I figured if you were running floss somewhere, you might have enough room to fit a bag of it somewhere...could be wrong. :lol:

I see...I don't think you necessarily need to trim it right now, it just needs to be rotated a bit.

I'd say a weekly 100% (or as close as you can get to it anyway) would probably help tons since you're already cycled.

Well, I figured if you were running floss somewhere, you might have enough room to fit a bag of it somewhere...could be wrong. :lol:

See the rectangular powerhead on the right back side of my tank? The floss goes in there to replace a sponge that it comes with. It's just a stock pump filter. I'm not going HOB unless absolutely necessary.

I keep the chaeto bumping around my tank, so hopefully that is sufficient.

Thanks for all your help on my tank DM, very much appreciating your participation here.

Drift Monkey
See the rectangular powerhead on the right back side of my tank? The floss goes in there to replace a sponge that it comes with. It's just a stock pump filter. I'm not going HOB unless absolutely necessary.

I keep the chaeto bumping around my tank, so hopefully that is sufficient.

Thanks for all your help on my tank DM, very much appreciating your participation here.

Ah, ok. Gotcha. I agree...on your setup, I'd rather do a sump or a canister.

Free-romaing chaeto is fine, just don't let it take over...trim it like you would your...erm...body hair...:haha:

Ah, ok. Gotcha. I agree...on your setup, I'd rather do a sump or a canister.

Free-romaing chaeto is fine, just don't let it take over...trim it like you would your...erm...body hair...:haha:

My brother's robotics lab is building me a small acrylic media box with suction cups that will go in front of the upper left pump when everything is finalized :D Chaeto will go in there. They have a laser-cutter for acrylics.

Archived