Coral Vue Hydros

How long will a clam last in my tank??

Keng Yew, Leong

Keng Yew, Leong

Before any1 gets angry, i would like to clarify some stuff first. My friend has a 20 gallon n he will be moving his current tank into a bigger tank. I will be stuffin his stuff into my tank(a few softies,lps n a maxima) while his new tank cycles(about a month or so).

The problem is how long will the clam last in my tank?My tank is a 7 gallon with 2-18 watt PCs.(his clam is currently under 175 watt halides) If my water conditions r perfect n i feed the 4inch clam once every two days, will it suffer any damages?Will it even survive(not thrive)?

I would really wanna help my friend but i do not want to put the clam at risk....plzzz help me out of this dilemma.:*(

your friend really ought to just put the clam in a bucket with his own tank water and position his mh about the same height. that's the best way for such a long period. imo the issue isn't how long it can last but how it reacts to the different scenarios.

even if the clam does well in your system it'll acclimate to your lighting and just get screwed up (darken substanstially and just bleach out when re-introduced). hth

Keng Yew, Leong

hmm...thanx, the prob now is his MH is the pendant type, n his new tank is gonna 2 be situated below it . Maybe i should ask him to give it to the LFS or the me :) although its impossible 4 me to keep......... the clam is so blue....and green...n colourful....

anymore ideas?????

well, if its a pendant type it should be no problem to prop it over a bucket. i would think his lps and clams can function well in a bucket. if he doses or reactors the small setting. he should just empty out some of his present tank water into the bucket and he has a functional nano (plus heater and etc.).

if he trusts his lfs to place it in the same position and care he did that's an option too.

btw it's not impossible for you to keep. you just need the right lighting and supplementations (plus mature plankton system but that depends on how he kept his system yada yada yada). ask him to use the pendant, some of his water, and get a little tank. i just don't recommend using the mh over your tank as your corals will then have to adjust to the light as opposed to the clam (reverse of my previous post). good luck!

And LR... don't forget the LR. He will probably want to move some of his LR into the bucket or extra tank to help filter and avoid a bit of a minicycle.

Just my 2 bits...

• 3 weeks later...

a little from column a and a little from column b in my business we often use a product called bac-300m not sure who makes the stuff but i have seen a tank cycle in as little as 2 days when using it. if you put the clam in holding and your buddy uses the bac 300 he can probably be up and running within a week.

quandary_23

From what was said in the annual aquarium magazine 2004, that maxima's will adpat to a wide range of light conditions even low light levels. That being said, I don't think the clam would suffer too much from being in your tank for a month, especially with 36 watts of pc over a 7 gallon mini bow tank. The only drawback I could forsee would be some loss in color, but that would comeback once put back under it's original lighting system. The article that I am citing is called "Giant Clams", and you can read it in the 2004 Aquarium Reef Magazine.

just a thought....

Keng Yew, Leong

heheheh...his tank is already cycled n clam stayed in a bucket with him throughout the 2 week cycle....anyway thanx...may this thread answer some other questions ppl have in their minds

Archived