Top Shelf Aquatics

Where to Purchase a Clam? Online vs. LFS

JChap

I'm upgrading my 29 Biocube from it's stock lighting to LEDs and would like to buy a clam. I'm curious what you guys think would be a better option, purchasing online or from LFS? I've looked around online, especially the WYSIWYG sections and that seems like not a bad idea, but I'm concerned that I should go the more conventional way and just purchase one from a LFS. If I did purchase one from online, are there any specific website that you guys recommend or wouldn't use??

bluezooaquatics recently sent me a clam in great shape and it looks very similar to the picture under my 250w MH lighting. I like online because of diversity of clams, but I would prefer an LFS purchase only because you can see the actual specimen 100% for what it is, although it may change under different lights.

I was looking through some past posts and everyone talks about clamsdirect.com but the last couple of weeks I've been checking there website and they haven't had anything available. Are they still in business and just out of clams at the moment?

I do have one LFS that has very nice stuff. I'm going to continue to check in there but like what collegenano said I like how diverse of a selection you get online.

Has anyone ordered from PacificEast Aquaculture before? I was looking at this post and it looked like they have REALLY nice clams.

clams are kind of sensitive...I'd go local. Most LFS owners will bring in items by request as well, so if they don't have a clam ask them about the possibility of getting one for you. That's what I did and the owner of the LFS in my area ended up bring in a dozen or so for me to choose from.

I emailed my one LFS, we'll see what they come back with. I contacted PacificEast Aquaculture and they are supposed to be getting a new order in a month or so. I'm going to see if my LFS can bring something in that is similar to those pictures that PacificEast Aquaculture had posted.

EEk! 189 is overpriced.

I bought 2 clams from LFS, about $60 each, and 3 form blue zoo. Bluezoo look exactly like the pics- i've actually had really good success with their stock, fish too.

I lost 1 of the LFS clams after having for over a year( NO idea why) and 1 of the blue zoo clams (again- no clue.)

The remaining 3 are super healthy/happy. AND growing.

EEk! 189 is overpriced.

I bought 2 clams from LFS, about $60 each

That is about the price ($60 each) I see at my majorly overpriced LFS. So yeah.....close to 200 is crazy expensive.

clams are kind of sensitive...I'd go local. Most LFS owners will bring in items by request as well, so if they don't have a clam ask them about the possibility of getting one for you. That's what I did and the owner of the LFS in my area ended up bring in a dozen or so for me to choose from.

false.....clams actually don't ship all that badly....i have 6 that i've gotten all shipped to me and have NEVER had an issue

as long as you buy them from a reputable dealer that has a DOA policy or some kind of money back thing you're fine

check reefkoi.com as well they have a few nice ones

also livequaria.com has some nice ones

Purchased my first clam today from my LFS. They emailed me a picture of their best ones once they were delivered. I purchased the one on the right. Picking it up this weekend!

post-51138-1298504333_thumb.jpg

Purchased my first clam today from my LFS. They emailed me a picture of their best ones once they were delivered. I purchased the one on the right. Picking it up this weekend!

Second from the left is a winner! :D

I would have had a hard time not buying all of those if they weren't priced crazy.

false.....clams actually don't ship all that badly....i have 6 that i've gotten all shipped to me and have NEVER had an issue

as long as you buy them from a reputable dealer that has a DOA policy or some kind of money back thing you're fine

check reefkoi.com as well they have a few nice ones

also livequaria.com has some nice ones

I agree, check out the Divers Den section, they have some insane looking clams at reasonable prices. Plus you can't beat their 14 day guarantee.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/CatDi...TR-_-DDN-_-PCLL

BTW, I think the 3rd one from the left is the winner, really like the green in it!

• 3 weeks later...

If it's your first clam, you might want to stick with the LFS, that way you can go armed with the knowledge of what to look for and spend a good amount of time physically looking at it and making observations. If you get one shipped, you might not notice signs of something wrong at first. Especially if you're looking to get a touchier type like croceas.

I paid $69.99 @LFS for a 3" ultra crocea in WPA. (almost got it for $6.99 because the girl ringing it up missed a decimal point;)

And once I got more confident about keeping clams got a bigger crocea off of a fellow reefer in the area.

If it's your first clam, you might want to stick with the LFS, that way you can go armed with the knowledge of what to look for and spend a good amount of time physically looking at it and making observations. If you get one shipped, you might not notice signs of something wrong at first. Especially if you're looking to get a touchier type like croceas.

I paid $69.99 @LFS for a 3" ultra crocea in WPA. (almost got it for $6.99 because the girl ringing it up missed a decimal point;)

And once I got more confident about keeping clams got a bigger crocea off of a fellow reefer in the area.

Sadly I just bought a little crocea online a couple of hours before seeing this... I just couldn't resist.

I just hope it :wub: me back and lives...

• 2 months later...
Yea the one I purchased and the second on the left were pretty close. I wanted a more blue one so I went with the one on the right.

I upgraded to LED about a year ago and I'm just now considering a clam. How is it going for you? Did you have to make any changes in your routine? Is it thriving? Color still just as good?

Sadly I just bought a little crocea online a couple of hours before seeing this... I just couldn't resist.

I just hope it :wub: me back and lives...

How is it?

Archived