Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Marineland Pro Stealth Heater Volunatry Recall

jcieutat

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got back from Petsmart. They have taken all of the Stealth Pros off their shelves. I could get a different heater or a gift card. Got a Fluval. Now my question is I have an Aqueon or the Fluval I could use for now. Which would you use?

So who's buying what?

I need to replace 4 heaters! and need submersible ones.

On the MarineDepot site they say the Jagers are submersible?

http://www.marinedepot.com/heaters_ebo-jager-ap.html

Yeap the new ones are submersible. I just bought one and installed it. Looks to be of nice quality. The 10" barely fit in my biocube 14 though, quite tall!

I just got back from Petsmart. They have taken all of the Stealth Pros off their shelves. I could get a different heater or a gift card. Got a Fluval. Now my question is I have an Aqueon or the Fluval I could use for now. Which would you use?

I don't want a petsmart GC! Could just ebay them i suppose. I wonder if marineland will just take them back. Or marine depot?

I've got 2x 50W pros... Recently switched them out with a eheim 75W. The new models ARE submersible. Says so right on the box. I picked t up at marine depot for ~$28. Works great too!

I wonder if they will take back the two 50W heaters. After hearing more and more issues with these I pulled them out if the display just to be safe. They are < 1 yr old but already seemed to be losing their effectiveness. Banished to the water change bucket now.

Is it fully submersible? I looked at one that said submersible but it showed on the outside a minimum and maximum water line.

I bought the Aqueon.. I did not get the Fluval because the one at Petsmart was glass and did not state shatterproof. I am going to just order a better one today to make sure that everything is OK. The one thing I liked about the Stealth Pro was that it was small. The rest of these heaters are too damn long.

Is it fully submersible? I looked at one that said submersible but it showed on the outside a minimum and maximum water line.

Yeap fully submersible. It says on the box "fully submersible and water proof" and even has an "thermo safety control" - enables running dry protection; heater will shut off out of water.

So it probably HAS to be fully submerged to even work properly.

It also allows you to re-adjust the heater temp, so you can re-calibrate if it heating to the wrong temp.

I found it to be about 2' too low from the factory settings, quick re-adjustment and good to go.

Yeah, we pulled all of our marineland heaters. Even the 50w, just to be safe.

Glad to see that we had a TON of returns on these today. And yes, we can only give a Store credit out, unless you have a receipt stating otherwise, and even then it's up to management. Just to clear it up =]

I also thought that the new stealths with the LEDs on the top have been a bit more reliable.
Other way around. The old Stealths were fantastic. I've had at least 10 of them with no problems. I've had 3 stealth pros and 2 of them went bad.

I knew this was coming...

Still no word on what a vendor does with their existing inventory.

Better this than kill more tanks.

The old Stealths were fantastic.

This hands down

HecticDialectics
Reefbuilders has a new post up with a letter from the distributor of the Marineland Stealth Pro and Stealth heaters suggesting a "voluntary suspension of sale . . . out of an abundance of caution," which appears to be coming in the wake of some reports of failures (though United Pet Group, Inc. hasn't publicly stated this).

Reefbuilders suggests taking the affected heaters (listed in the letter) out of your tank.

It has expanded beyond petsmart.

Worth mentioning, even though the thread title does not mention petsmart. Wouldn't want people to think it's only petsmart!

I have had my 100w running for the last year with no problems. And so I dont end up a statistic just took up to petsmart and exchanged for a fluval 100w. better to be safe than sorry.

Yeah, we pulled all of our marineland heaters. Even the 50w, just to be safe.

Glad to see that we had a TON of returns on these today. And yes, we can only give a Store credit out, unless you have a receipt stating otherwise, and even then it's up to management. Just to clear it up =]

Wanna set this straight. You CAN get your money back without a receipt. out update for this at PetSmart tells the cashier to offer the customer store credit if they dont have a receipt, but if they refuse the gift card to give them cash, no questions asked. kyclops, you can access this update on fetch if you have the ability to view it.

Phewww... Looks like I'm safe.

I bought a marineland 100w visi-therm deluxe heater from my LFS about a month ago. It looks like marineland is substituting these for the affected heaters in the RB article.

And why did I buy one??? Because my old stealth pro heater exploded and nuked my tank!!

Is this only petsmart or is it just everyplace that carries them?

If you read the letter from RB, that was provided in the link above, it involves everyone that sells them, IMO.

HecticDialectics
It has expanded beyond petsmart.

Worth mentioning, even though the thread title does not mention petsmart. Wouldn't want people to think it's only petsmart!

Is this only petsmart or is it just everyplace that carries them?

:facepalm:

seriously? that's your question? you didn't even read the last page of the thread did you? admit it.

Wanna set this straight. You CAN get your money back without a receipt. out update for this at PetSmart tells the cashier to offer the customer store credit if they dont have a receipt, but if they refuse the gift card to give them cash, no questions asked. kyclops, you can access this update on fetch if you have the ability to view it.

Yeah, I remember doing it on a previous recall before.

Should look before I post. =X

jumplittlechloe

I called Marineland today about my 150w Stealth Pro. They corrected me as to not call it a recall more like a safety precaution. Then she said, "Is it working? Then just keep using it." That Jedi BS don't work on me, so I asked her what my options were. and she told me that I could send it in and:

a: get a new vista therm heater

b: send a receipt from the store I purchased it from and they would reimburse me for the cost of the heater

My heater is removed and replaced with a Jager. I hope it is a good replacement. It's made in Germany where they make good stuff like the sham-wow.

My heater is removed and replaced with a Jager. I hope it is a good replacement. It's made in Germany where they make good stuff like the sham-wow.

Mine leaked and spewed out some nasty black froth after a couple weeks. However, I think they have pretty positive reviews in general. Also, they are fully-submersible for anyone still wondering.

Archived