Coral Vue Hydros

Marineland Pro Stealth Heater Volunatry Recall

jcieutat

We will give you what we were selling them for just before the recall. I cant remember how much the twos maller ones in question were worth, but my 250w heaters were 39.99 a piece.

since you work at petsmart, what heater would you recommend?

& is this only for petsmart or any retailer that sells them.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am under the impression that Marineland is running the recall through us. It is a lot easier for them to just reimbrse the store then to have x ammount of people email their heaters in then wait for a check.

I wouldn't recommend any of the heaters we sell... If I had to pick one of the ones we have left I would say Aqueon simply because it is fully submersiable unlike the Fluval and has a thermostat with more than just "max.....min" like the Top Fin. Some of your local stores may still carrt the Rena Smarters, if so I never had a problem with the 10+ I used in different freshwater tanks. Unfortunately I sold all of mine and we (atleast my store) dont sell them anymore.

FWIW, I switched to visitherm heaters because they were available at my LFS and get decent overall reviews

Dan they said they would send me a different model ( not the pro) but i'm still waiting...

probably the original one. I once had two of the original stealth heaters and they were great. I had a 50 watt original stealth and i turned the gauge to 78 and the tank was at 78. i put the other 50 watt into a 40 gallon breeder and set the temp at 78..... and the temp stayed at 78! Don't know why i switched to PRO =[

so did you have to send your heater back to them?

Cool. Hmm... Two of the heaters I have are 150w and 75w... Those aren't included in the recall..??? Not sure how that makes sense...

Maybe there have been no reported problems with those models? lol

probably the original one. I once had two of the original stealth heaters and they were great. I had a 50 watt original stealth and i turned the gauge to 78 and the tank was at 78. i put the other 50 watt into a 40 gallon breeder and set the temp at 78..... and the temp stayed at 78! Don't know why i switched to PRO =[

so did you have to send your heater back to them?

i actually remembered why i switched to the PRO... LOL how could i forget. I had my corals in a 5 gallon bucket with water, a powerhead and the heater. I stuck my hand in the bucket and it shocked the crap outta my right hand and it was numb for a little bit. HAHAHAH

lol. what, they only half explode instead of fully?

You do realise the recall isn't because of exploding heaters but because of the heaters leaking electrical current into the water, right?

You do realise the recall isn't because of exploding heaters but because of the heaters leaking electrical current into the water, right?

Yes but I've also heard of them exploding.

How far back does this go? I bought one in July, and another around September.

I did feel a small shock the other day around my heater in my 55, but I just attributed it to having sensitive fingertips.

How far back does this go? I bought one in July, and another around September.

I did feel a small shock the other day around my heater in my 55, but I just attributed it to having sensitive fingertips.

dude!

take it out!!! With my old original stealth, it was only a small shock and i stuck my hands in a few hours later and it was a big shock hahaha. nothing life threatening, but it made me not stick my hands in my tank for a good month.

dude!

take it out!!! With my old original stealth, it was only a small shock and i stuck my hands in a few hours later and it was a big shock hahaha. nothing life threatening, but it made me not stick my hands in my tank for a good month.

Yeahh haha I just tested again and if youre within 3 inches of it you get a nice jolt. Problem lies here - I work 10-6 tomorrow. (@Petsmart) open to close. I dont have a backup heater to run for the 8 hours I'll be there.

Also, the one on my other tank (50w) isnt emitting any kind of shock. Still remove?

Yeahh haha I just tested again and if youre within 3 inches of it you get a nice jolt. Problem lies here - I work 10-6 tomorrow. (@Petsmart) open to close. I dont have a backup heater to run for the 8 hours I'll be there.

Also, the one on my other tank (50w) isnt emitting any kind of shock. Still remove?

the original post says 100 200 and 250 watt models only... so idk. i hope it works with the 50 because it's the one i have lol

So I replace the stealth pro yesterday with an Aqeuon Pro 100. It is heating the tank but my RKL light stays on constantly for that port. I guess, I need to order another heater? I wanted to go with the Eheim but according to the packaging, it is not fully submersible. I want one that is fully submersible because when I do water changes and such, the back chamber fills up. I also don't want to spend $100 on a heater since my RKL controls the temp. The damn stealth seemed to work perfectly, I just did not want to take a chance. Damn you Marineland!!!!

The other thing I don't like about my stealth heater is that is has no indicator light to tell you if it's on or not. What a pain when trying to fine tune the temperature (don't trust the thermostat on the unit)

Now I use the via aqua titanium heater and it's great. I love that the thermostat controller is outside of the tank and the temperature probe can also be in another part of my sump.

I've got 2x 50W pros... Recently switched them out with a eheim 75W. The new models ARE submersible. Says so right on the box. I picked t up at marine depot for ~$28. Works great too!

I wonder if they will take back the two 50W heaters. After hearing more and more issues with these I pulled them out if the display just to be safe. They are < 1 yr old but already seemed to be losing their effectiveness. Banished to the water change bucket now.

Archived