SaltCritters.com

Anemone Prop tank stocking rate...

Colby88

Hey guys, does anyone have a suggestion on how many RBTA's I can keep in my 40g breeder prop tank?

All the anemones have been manually divided from the original anemone I used and they are they sole inhabitants of the tank, sans the clownfish pair that is. Very shortly (by mid march) I will have 256 3" RBTA's in there and I am thinking it may be time to expand lol.

I have heard the 1 BTA/Gallon idea tossed around, but that seems awfully ambiguous to me. I have also tried calculating the number of anemones I could keep in a given space based on square inches, but the anemones seem to enjoy bunching up together anyway.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much.

Colby

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a hard question. You could put 100 in one 40 and another 100 in another 40. But I don't know if you want that many tanks or if you just don't have the money.What I would suggest to do is get some eggcrate from your local hardware stor and make leveled rack in the 40. That way they are not all on the bottom. That would also allow you to put more in.

HTH , M-D

good question. if it were me, i would cap the number at 100 in a 40b, make some $$ by selling some of the others and maybe upgrade to a bigger tank. i know i would buy a couple. hehe

i would use a big rummbermaid stock tank, my 100 gallon was only like $70. there big, 5 foot by 3 foot or bigger. you could put in as many as you want in there i would think.

are you going to use astroturf so you can remove them without hurting them? (what i read)

Thanks for the replies.

No, I am not using astrourf, the idea does not appeal to me. Instead, I use live rock rubble, it really is not that difficult to pry the anemones off anyway.

As far as the eggcrate idea goes, I am not sure how well that would work with anemones.

My goal it to produce around 500 RBTA's month, so I think I will be getting a few more tanks! Perhaps a few 100g tanks are in order!

Colby

If the nems were an rock then it would work....I think :unsure: But then again I agree with mr.bigshot on the 100 gallon tub. Where do you plan on selling these things?

I know many folks like the tubs, however I personally want to be able to see all the way around the tank and view the specimens from all angles, so I will be sticking with tanks. With coral frags the tubs work great, but I just feel more comfortable being able to to examine the anemones completely without having to disturb them.

BTW, what seems to be the standard retail price for a 3" Captive Bred True Rose BTA these days?

Thanks again for the advice, I appreciate it!

Colby

Oh, and Mini Dude, the egg-crate idea is great, however my concern is that I could shock the anemones with different light levels, since they are all from a single specimen and all being harvested on a regular basis I want to make sure that all params, especially light are consistent, if that makes sense. If one shelf is 6-8" closer to light source than the others then that could spell disaster....

Thanks,

Colby

I see them often at stores for about $80-100, but I suggest selling them for around $60-75. BTW post a picture, I want to see all these nems!!!

I see them often at stores for about $80-100, but I suggest selling them for around $60-75. BTW post a picture, I want to see all these nems!!!

You could sell them cheaper at like $40. ;) and I agree with the pic!

prices of these guys seem to fluctuate

with all these "new" btas coming in like the flames and purple rain (?) and the lemons, it seems like they have brought the price back up a bit, but i remember seeing them go for $50 constantly for a while

Thanks everyone. I will try and borrow a camera and get a picture. It really is a pretty cool sight!

It seems like average retail is around $80-100, at least in my area. Obviously selling them wholesale would be the only way to get rid of 500 every month or so. Then again I don't know if it would be possible to move that many even at a wholesale level. (BTW, mods I am not trying to sell them on here, so if my discussion/comments seem inappropriate please let me know!)

Thanks again everyone. BTW, those lemondrop BTA's are gorgeous! I would love to get my hands on one and start farming them as well!

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the bad quality pictures, but here are a few cell phone pics of some of the anemones. These two baskets are some of the more recently split anemones. There are 12 in each basket.

post-42263-1300664887_thumb.jpg

post-42263-1300664817_thumb.jpg

Colby

Archived