Innovative Marine Aquariums

Anemone Prop tank stocking rate...

Colby88

Looking great!

One question though, if you wait until you are getting 500 new nems per month do you really think you can sell 15+ $50 anemones per day?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good question.... and I don't know to be honest. I was thinking more along the lines of selling 500 in one day lol.

Really, as much as this is a business venture in which I intend to make money, my motivations are really more about conservation. For example, I am also propagating green bubble tip anemones. They may only retail for $40, but I still want to provide as many captive propagated specimens as I can. Furthermore I am really hoping that in the future I will be able to provide captive spawned anemones of the other host species as well, imagine how great it would be to have CB carpets and LT anemones. So really, the BTA's for me are intended to be the bread and butter that will fund the R&D into propagation protocols for more difficult species.

I am also working on some more "rare" morphs of BTA's, I will try to get some pics up soon.

Well, if I do my math right, if you sell each nem for $35 a pop at a rate of 500 per month thats approx... $210,000 per year. Minus overhead of course.

Seems like a business venture to me lol

Well, it does sound good on paper, and it would be great if it works out that way. Certainly seems like there is a good market/desire for high quality propagated RBTA's.

I am still trying to get my hands on a good lemondrop, that would be fun!

ericm1205

im trying to get a lemon drop too. cant seem to find any at all. i tried contacting people who i knew were selling them before and none had them since i seen them last.

i pucked up 3 deep pinkish reddish rbta from Anthony Calfo the other week. he has the best looking nems i have ever seen. the one rbta i got is atleast 12" across. its a monster and my large chrysopterus pair loves it!

Nice, how about some pics? Did you see his anemone prop systems, I would love to hear about it. I would love to get some RBTA's from Anthony as well.

ericm1205

he sent me a pic of his 40b tank with all the nems in it. its the same pic he uses when he sells the nem on ebay, thats where i found him. i asked for a few 8" plus nems and he sent me some monsters. hehe

i'll upload the pic and some of mine too.

here is the pic that Calfo sent me of his 40b nem tank.

Calfo_RBTAs.jpg

here is the monster he sent me. take notice my Chrysopterus clowns are large. my female is 6" and the male is 4.5". i have 2 other nems that are 8" or so and they are really dark and very colorful.

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

FLNanoReefer
here is the pic that Calfo sent me of his 40b nem tank.

Calfo_RBTAs.jpg

here is the monster he sent me. take notice my Chrysopterus clowns are large. my female is 6" and the male is 4.5". i have 2 other nems that are 8" or so and they are really dark and very colorful.

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

Wow. Those are some beautiful anemones. How much does he charge?

Gorgeous! I wonder how many he has in there? Did you get any specs on lighting etc? I found it interesting that he had Discasoma spp. and other stuff in there, and that his tank had sand, rock etc...only because of how he promotes the single species, barebottom nem prop tanks etc. I would love to know more about what he is doing with them.

Thanks so much for sharing the pictures and the Chrys pair is stunning!

he has different prices for different nems. i can give you his email and you can ask him. he is reasonable in pricing and shipping.

the Chrys pair are one of my fav. they are so beautiful i wish i could take better pics cause the nem looks dull, but it is the color of the pic in Calfo's tank. they are stunning.

he has different prices for different nems. i can give you his email and you can ask him. he is reasonable in pricing and shipping.

the Chrys pair are one of my fav. they are so beautiful i wish i could take better pics cause the nem looks dull, but it is the color of the pic in Calfo's tank. they are stunning.

very nice anemones guys,,, eric are those the same as the Blue Stripe clownfish, i love them might just order!! i had some clarkii clowns that were that size and they were awsome!!!

very nice anemones guys,,, eric are those the same as the Blue Stripe clownfish, i love them might just order!! i had some clarkii clowns that were that size and they were awsome!!!

Rudy, Chrysopterus are Blue stripes.

FLNanoReefer

An email address would be awesome!

here they are eric,,sorry for bashing your thread colby!

clarkiiclowns.jpg

clarkii.jpg

just to show you guys, heres my attempt at raising rose anemones in a biocube, didnt workout for me, to many roses and i couldnt sell them locally so i stopped! it got ridiculous in my biocube... to people the shipping scared them and that was about 2 years ago pic, imagine now!!amazing color i got with silversides!

biocube3.jpg

biocube2.jpg

mytransformercollection.jpg

wow awesome rudy. they are sweet looking.

Tenniswildcat, send me a pm and i will give you his email.

This is awesome. I didn't know you could frag anemones haha.

I need to start doing this. Seems like an awesome way to make cash.

You should start up a site and sell um Colby.

wow awesome rudy. they are sweet looking.

Tenniswildcat, send me a pm and i will give you his email.

heres another rose anemone shot getting ready to split in the biocube... took me like 3 months to get it all full of rose anemones,, i used to dip the silversides in selcon mix and they would chomp it down mad crazy, a local older reefer taught me the trick... the red color was amazing.... sorry for the last pic guys mods please remove toy pic!!

biocube4.jpg

FLNanoReefer
heres another rose anemone shot getting ready to split in the biocube... took me like 3 months to get it all full of rose anemones,, i used to dip the silversides in selcon mix and they would chomp it down mad crazy, a local older reefer taught me the trick... the red color was amazing.... sorry for the last pic guys mods please remove toy pic!!

biocube4.jpg

Nice looking RBTA. What lighting do you keeps yours under?

Oceancube, no worries! Thanks for sharing those pics, awesome toys. The nems are cool too lol.

Eric, thanks but I have got his email address, but to be honest I don't know if I need anymroe RBTA's lol.

And, just for fun here is another pic, there are two RBTA's in this photo, just for size reference the female black ocellaris in this pic is over 3".

post-42263-1305336687_thumb.jpg

Colby

Archived