Coral Vue Hydros

Anemone Prop tank stocking rate...

Colby88

I havent sold any yet, and I am going to wait until I have 1000 or so before I start selling them. Hopefully by October at the latest.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I havent sold any yet, and I am going to wait until I have 1000 or so before I start selling them. Hopefully by October at the latest.

why 1000?

1fishmonger

Let's see a FTS! Picture or it doesn't exist :D

As for price.. maybe $50/each but reds are becoming pretty darn common. Stores still have them at $80+

Oh and Mini-dude, sorry I forgot to answer your question. They are not all that big, only about 3" right now. I let them double in size before I harvest them again.

awesome idea Colby. I have a rbta with my 9 pairs of clowns so i can suppliment some income with them when they split. but your doing it on steriods. hehe i sold like 4 rbta's and i bought a few. i paid $40 to $80 for a rose, and sold 3 of mine for $50 each and anywhere in that area someone will be comfortable paying. i bought a flame tip for $75 from a neighbor and i hope to add a few other types to my tanks. i had a lemondrop, but it died on me. so i hope to find another. i would love to see more pics if you have them.

Thanks. I would love to get a lemondrop. I was suprised by a batch of seahorses being born this morning, which subsequently made me late for Chemistry, and I have four midterms this week so I am pretty stressed/busy at the moment but I will def. try and get some more pictures for you guys soon.

Colby

Here is another quick cell pic of the third basket. This basket has anemones that were split atleast four weeks ago. As you can see there is a pair of breeding Black Ocellaris in this basket, and the light intensity is much stronger than the more recently cut baskets. I would not put anemones that have not fully healed and started taking food again with clownfish, which is why I don't have a pair in every basket lol.

post-42263-1300836245_thumb.jpg

Colby

Where do you get baskets like that? Do you cut in half or divide into quarters? How many weeks do you let them heal before cutting gain? If you dont want to answer any of these questions I understand.

they are baskets used for ponds. if you have a lfs that does pond stuff you can get them there. i have a few and they are great for nems, fish even. i used it to add a nem and clowns to make sure they pair up before putting them in my tank. hehe

yeah i was wondering if you halved them or quartered them as well. what do you feed them to make them grow so fast to a cuttable size? if they are all from 1 specimen that thats really cool.

i have a few bta's i want to hack up to make a few bucks off, namely my flame.

Yeah I am in Humboldt County in NorCal, there are lots of grow shops here which is where I get the baskets.

I have never quartered anemones and I don't think it would be a good idea...

Colby

I was finally able to get a slightly better picture of what my Rose Bubble's look like when they are ready for sale.

post-42263-1301441188_thumb.jpg

Whatcha think?

Colby

Haha, well that is what every single one of them looks like when they are ready to go.

Oh and BTW, all the pictures before were taken under 6500k T5's and the last one was taken under a mixture of 3 10k and 1 Actinic T5.

Thanks I was just going to ask you about your lighting. I have some clones from the same mother that have been kept under different lighting and they dont look like they came from the same nem.

Just remember that different spectrum lighting will alter the production of the pigmentation and zooanthellae, so lighting plays a huge role in the color of the anemone. I keep mine under 6700k's to maximize the potential for zooanthellae production, however as you can see under even just a little light in the 450nm range will increase the production of red flourescing pigments greatly.

If you get a chance I would love to see some pics of your nems under different lighting, it may be interesting to demonstrate the differences!

Colby

The one I have is a sunburst or sunset bta. Under Mh it turns more pink or redish while under T5 The green and orange really stand out. I am going to try and set up a T5 tank to bring the pinkish one back to orange again.

SDC11264.jpg

2011-03-29161826.jpg

Quick Update: I harvested all the RBTA's again last night, so the population has doubled again and today everyone looks fine.

Crooks: Gorgeous nems! Thanks so much for sharing the pics. I would really enjoy watching the progress of the anemone color change if you have the ability to document it. In the future I would love to trade with you to get some of those puppies.

Bishop: There seem to me many factors involved in getting a BTA to split, furthermore due to the geographical variants it is unknown what set of stimuli are required for any given anemone. That being said, my suggestion would be to start feeding the crap out of it, if that does not induce a splitting event after a week or so I would skip a day of feeding and do a very large water change.

Good luck and let me know if it works!

Colby

Nice nems! And gosh, Mini-Dude has turned in to a legit troll! I even picked him up on the the troll radar.

Thanks Colby the pinker one split a couple months ago. I waited a month then I quartered the clone and put it in a t5 tank. 3 out of the 4 made it almost a month later now. The green is coming out more and the redish pink is changing back to orange. When a I get a better tank up maybe I can document the color change. I think I will only be cutting them in half now.

shadowninja

Will putting clowns in with freshly propagated nems help speed up recovery? My picassos are itchin to get back to the nem.

Shadowninja: No! I would advise against putting the anemone back with the clownfish until it is fully 100% recovered, if the clownfish do not kill it outright they will severly delay its healing time.

Colby

shadowninja
Shadowninja: No! I would advise against putting the anemone back with the clownfish until it is fully 100% recovered, if the clownfish do not kill it outright they will severly delay its healing time.

Colby

Thanks Colby! That's what I figured. Well all 4 seem to be healing well. I quartered mine

Archived