ReefCleaners.org

Fish Need it 24" T5-HO

Mini-Dude

I don't have the money for a Nova that's why I was looking into the FNI. So overall for the price and performance after you replace the stock bulbs, the FNI is great?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't have the money for a Nova that's why I was looking into the FNI. So overall for the price and performance after you replace the stock bulbs, the FNI is great?

I never replaced the stock bulbs. I thought that it looked OK with the stock bulbs, so I decided to keep them until they needed to be replaced. I gave the tank away before that.

I have the fishneedit fixtures, both the two bulb '24 and the 4 bulb '24 and I love them both. Yes the bulbs are cheap, but they still work. I bought new bulbs, but I kept the fishneedit ones for emergency replacements. They have this slight "greenish" tint to them.

I love these fixtures. Never been shocked by them.

I have the 36" 4 bulb i love it. I kept the stock bulbs for 2ish months before replacing them. I definitely noticed a lot better growth after replacing the bulbs.

Ati Blue +

Ati Aqua Blue Special

Ati Purple +

Ati Blue +

I think, but anyone I love my fixture, only gripe is that the plastic splash guard didnt fit well. It was a little on the thin side, it fit but was prone to falling out. Was holding well for awhile (thanks to a little salt creep) but I got a glass lid and i pulled the splash guard.

OH and i wish the bulbs were in a different sequence. pretty much each plug controls two bulbs next to each other. basically cant have the blues on the same plug and the whites on the same plug since i want them to be every other.

Besides those two things like the fixture, id get one again and never been shocked.

To summarize:

Sometimes they shock (never happened to me)

Crappy original bulbs

Great price

Would use in a shallow system (personally)

Crappy splash gaurd (I agree)

To summarize:

Sometimes they shock (never happened to me)

Crappy original bulbs

Great price

Would use in a shallow system (personally)

Crappy splash gaurd (I agree)

1) I can live with

2) I will probably replace after a while

3) VERY Great price

4) Going to be used in a Nano Cube 28

5) I have no clue what a splash guard is.

Moreover; 90% sure I'm going to get this.

Where would you recommend looking? How mush do 24" run these days?

Where do you live? You can find them on local forums to save on shipping.

They go from $125-180+ shipping. You can also find them on RC. There's decent deals that pop up every now and then. You just have to be patient.

Also never been shocked (have a 4x24) but I absolutely hate the color that the stock bulbs put out. It's very yellow/green even though I have 2 20k bulbs and 2 blue. I just got my tax return and was going to finally upgrade these bulbs (light is only 5 months old), but I scored a NEP for an unreal price with new bulbs so hopped on that instead. I'm definitely going to keep the fni just invade I want a slightly longer tank (have a 10g aga now). One thing I really do hate though is the top is very broad when it doesn't have to be (8.5 in across the top) and the legs bring it even further out, the legs go out another like 2.5 in each. Really don't like that at all. It's a decent fixture but like others, I was probably going to save up for a higher quality fixture at some point, mainly had my eye on the tek though.

The resale on these is awful so I think it'd be worth more to me keeping it than the ~50 I'd get for it. I like having a just in case light.. I had a viper like that and it ended up on a new nano:P. I saw a 4x24in fni fixture for $35 on my local reef forum.. Some things I really wouldn't even bother looking at new. Lighting is one of them. Practice patience, stalk the classifieds on here (good prices never last more than like 7 hours) and also find a local club. That'll make your whole reefing experience easier on the wallet. That's for hardware and livestock. Put the $110 from the fni towards a quality used light.. Buy great used stuff instead of mediocre/iffy equipment.

Fni works, and works well don't get me wrong. But nicer fixtures can be found with patience. Good luck with the whole set up man

oh just get this already

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/p...roducts_id=3208

I have the 60" 8x80w.

Ho hum I wish.. Ati fixtures are no joke, but neither are their prices lol. That's a price that just isn't possible for me beige a college reefer lol

Anyway op, as I said the fni isn't bad but I'd save and get a better fixture. It took a while but I waited until I found an mp10 fell to what I could afford, but I ended up getting what I really wanted.

http://www.nano-reef.com/clubs/

Looks like theres 3 reef clubs posted that are from Arkansas.. NR really does have some great prices but then you usually have to deal with shipping and all that waste of money so try looking locally. How old are you anyway? I'm 19 and I know why you mean about the money being tight.. I had to wait for my taxes because I don't work while away at school. Used stuff still works, just make sure you get pics and whatnot so you know it's in good condition and aren't getting a mangled mess, like anything else practice common sense with it.

jeff@zina.com
Coolz! What is this Nova Extream thing I've been hearing about? My LFS says its a peice of crap and it starts house fires.

They used to start house fires. They got their act together and the last year these fixtures have been fine. The issue for most of the cheaper T5 is they cut corners on something. Bulbs, reflectors, ballasts, housings, fans, etc. The cheaper they are, the more corners are cut. This means you get a less efficient fixture, but for many uses it's efficient enough. Not all tanks are 29" deep. :)

Jeff

How old are you anyway?

I'm 12 lol so i'm selling all me stuff to even try to fund this tank. I dont have supportive parents. But I am in love with this hooby so its a price to pay. After I sell my Nintendo DS, Gitar Hero Controler, and some games I will have over $300. omgomgomg thats not even enough. uggh

I'm 12 lol so i'm selling all me stuff to even try to fund this tank. I dont have supportive parents. But I am in love with this hooby so its a price to pay. After I sell my Nintendo DS, Gitar Hero Controler, and some games I will have over $300. omgomgomg thats not even enough. uggh

Lol.. i did exactly that when a couple years ago to fund my first reef tank. I sold my 360 a few games and some other stuff. Tbh though, it wasn't the best decision i made because later on i felt like i shouldn't have sold that stuff. I later went out and bought another 360 when i had money :D

Just make sure you don't sell anything you might regret selling later on.. like that DS. It might come in handy down the road when boredom strikes lol.

who needs video games when you have a reef tank that you can stare at for hours on end!!!

I sold my xbox and games to pay for about .00000001% of this hobby :D.

By the time you're my age, you're gonna be a reefing genius

Archived