Cultivated Reef

Fish Need it 24" T5-HO

Mini-Dude

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm using it over a 20L and am happy with it. The fixture isn't the highest quality but it is nice. Crappy stock bulbs too. I am looking into replacing it with a TEK for more penetration when I go 40B

Cool! did you get the 2 buld fixture or the 4? I want it over a JBJ 28. Do you think it would work? What is a TEk?

I would recommend going with the 4 Bulb fixture. It gives a lot more options when it comes time to color selections.

Wow I dont have the budget for that kind of light. There is a 99% chance that I will get the 24" 4 bulb for the upgrade from PC's to T5's. In the Nano Cube.

Enjoy it (you will). Make sure to replace with better bulbs when you feel like enjoying some fluorescence. My stock bulbs didn't get my acros fluorescing, but right after replacement with some better bulbs. KABLAM! Fluorescence.

I used one for about 6 months before I gave it away. I liked it, the Lamps it comes with are crap, but after replacing them, You have a pretty good fixture. If I didn't like building my own stuff, I would buy the FishNeedIt t5's again.

I have to 30"(with 24" bulbs over my 20l and it has been great. I have swapped almost all of the bulbs to get the color I want, but the stock color wasn't all that bad.

Currently I have

ATI Blue+

Stock 14k bulb

KZ Fiji Purple

ATI Blue+

My Acans color is awesome under it and they seem to really grow well.

Coolz! What is this Nova Extream thing I've been hearing about? My LFS says its a peice of crap and it starts house fires.

IDK about starting fires, but the Nova Extreme about the same as the FishNeedIt fixture. but it is 2.5x the price.

Nova Extreme

I have a 2 ft 2 bulb over my 20g macro tank, and a 3ft 2 bulb fixture over my discus tank. I am pleased with the lighting, and they have grown softies and plants/algae very well. If you're looking for a more reef oriented, i would also recommend the 4 bulb fixture. The only thing I despise about it is the fact that both my lights emit a shock from the corner of the fixture, and it hurts like hell on the larger one.

Ok so that something to consider. I could just not touch it. does it do it all the time?

Fwiw, mine never shocked me. If it did, I would have taken it apart and found out why. Lighting is pretty simple stuff.

danthenewreefman

no the nova extreme fixtures are great. like everyone said probably as good as you can get with T5 once you get high quality bulbs (for the price)

Of course if you can afford it the ATI, TEK & icecap are probably far better. but they're expensive.

people switch from something like a nova extreme to a TEK (with same #/size bulbs) and bleach stuff.

So the Nova or the Fish Need it?

Yeah, I'm not discouraging the fishneedit, it's a great fixture if you replace the bulbs as far as price, but for some reasons, both my fixtures shock me...

the NEP is also an amazing fixture

If you have the money to spend on the Nova, Why not get a tek of icecap retro. Neither are great fixtures but the nova is way overpriced. I chose the FNI fixture because the price/performance ratio was good.

Archived