Coral Vue Hydros

RKL+myreef 2 for Dummies

bioload

BowieReefer84
Honestly, I havn't used the software enough to tell you. Sounds like your on the right track.

When in doubt, test it. But use water instead of your actual suppliments to test, and then just keep an eye on it (or turn on logging), and review what's going on after a day or so.

A little trial and error shouldn't hurt, as long as you don't have your heater set to max temp. You should set your heater MAYBE 1 degree higher then what you want, so that it can't cook your tank. NEVER rely purely on the RKE (or any controller for that matter), to manage your heating. redundancy is the game when it comes to heating and power.

As for the Doser pumps, I'm not sure as I don't have anything setup with mutiple timers (I just don't have a need for it).

When you DO figure it out, post it on here to confirm how to setup multiple timers as your doing.

Cheers,

Spyrule :ninja:

Thanks, I have the heater down now. I have the channel set to default on with the heater set a degree or two above what the controller is set at.

As far as the dosers go, I have created a thread on the DA forum. Not sure we are allowed to link? Here it is... http://www.forum.digitalaquatics.com/viewt...f=34&t=9195

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheNorthernLight

• bioload

• msujeff

• kgoldy

Thanks, I have the heater down now. I have the channel set to default on with the heater set a degree or two above what the controller is set at.

As far as the dosers go, I have created a thread on the DA forum. Not sure we are allowed to link? Here it is... http://www.forum.digitalaquatics.com/viewt...f=34&t=9195

I noticed you have the heater set on the "heater" function. As I recall when I set mine up you have to set the heater up as a "controller" under function to have it work as a full fledged heat controller. For example, I don't believe you can set the heater to trip off at a certain temp unless you use the heater in controller function.In controller function you can use the RKL as a full featured heater/chiller(or fan) controller which by itself costs about the same as the RKL but of course the RKL can do SO much more.

I vote sticky. I think enough people have these crazy devices- best thread ever IMO regarding myReef/RKL. Took hours to refind this thread when I needed it, who votes STICKY!!! GO STICKY!!!

BowieReefer84
I vote sticky. I think enough people have these crazy devices- best thread ever IMO regarding myReef/RKL. Took hours to refind this thread when I needed it, who votes STICKY!!! GO STICKY!!!

Not sure sticky on here is needed. Go to the DA Forums, and you will find everything you need. I did not realize all the info over there. Use the search function, and I think you will be good. There are a good number of experts over there. Also, go on DA website and print the full pdf manual. It is 51 pages versus the 2 page cheat sheet that comes in the box.

Also, go on DA website and print the full pdf manual. It is 51 pages versus the 2 page cheat sheet that comes in the box.

+1 The included instructions are virtually useless and you won't come close to realizing all the benefits the RKL has to offer right out of the box without reading the full manual.

OK- no sticky.

But great thread. I'm newbie to forum speak as well. I have gone on the DA forums, I have searched multiple times, and found the answer only in this thread, not in any I searched on DA forums. I like that we have multiple people in this thread, DA forum posts tend to be one on one, but still helpful.

I still find it crazy that a company with such a good product as the RKL doesn't even mention myReef with the included product guide, and you shouldn't have to be reef forum savvy to find this stuff out. Nuts. I think myReef is one of the best features of the product, but no mention of it? O well.

So, please could someone please explain what I need to do to save this thread for future reference? How do I subscribe to this thread. Again, I'm not very forum smart. Thanks for the help.

O yea, and sorry for going out of this threads context, but, is there a forum on how to use forums? How do you guys make those really cool links to your builds at the botttom of your posts, with the cool graffics and such? Where can I learn this? Did I just break a bunch of forum rules? HIJACK? (see, I'm learning)

I'm 40 and clueless when it comes to this stuff, I need help from all you "kids" on NR. Thanks again.

TheNorthernLight
OK- no sticky.

But great thread. I'm newbie to forum speak as well. I have gone on the DA forums, I have searched multiple times, and found the answer only in this thread, not in any I searched on DA forums. I like that we have multiple people in this thread, DA forum posts tend to be one on one, but still helpful.

I still find it crazy that a company with such a good product as the RKL doesn't even mention myReef with the included product guide, and you shouldn't have to be reef forum savvy to find this stuff out. Nuts. I think myReef is one of the best features of the product, but no mention of it? O well.

So, please could someone please explain what I need to do to save this thread for future reference? How do I subscribe to this thread. Again, I'm not very forum smart. Thanks for the help.

O yea, and sorry for going out of this threads context, but, is there a forum on how to use forums? How do you guys make those really cool links to your builds at the botttom of your posts, with the cool graffics and such? Where can I learn this? Did I just break a bunch of forum rules? HIJACK? (see, I'm learning)

I'm 40 and clueless when it comes to this stuff, I need help from all you "kids" on NR. Thanks again.

If you've got subscriptions turned on on your profile, then by the act of replying in the thread, you automatically get subscribed to this thread.

You can check your subscribed threads under the UserCP just under the Forums menu option at the top of the web page.

I agree though, this should be stickied, just to make life easier. It's not like the equipment thread is polluted with stickies.

OK- no sticky.

I'm glad you like the thread and that it has helped a few people. Its fine with me if its made a sticky but thats up to the powers that be.

One way you could save this thread for future reference is to simply add it to your "favorites" on your windows toolbar ( I assume you are using windows) and then you could easily navigate to this thread whenever you want. I've done that with certain topics that I refer to often. By the way I bet I'm older than you :) so age is no barrier. Links are added by simple copy-paste and pics can be added several ways but opening a photobucket account was the easiest for me.As far as "hijacking" a thread your questions are a little off topic but its fine with me.

TheNorthernLight
I'm glad you like the thread and that it has helped a few people. Its fine with me if its made a sticky but thats up to the powers that be.

One way you could save this thread for future reference is to simply add it to your "favorites" on your windows toolbar ( I assume you are using windows) and then you could easily navigate to this thread whenever you want. I've done that with certain topics that I refer to often. By the way I bet I'm older than you :) so age is no barrier. Links are added by simple copy-paste and pics can be added several ways but opening a photobucket account was the easiest for me.As far as "hijacking" a thread your questions are a little off topic but its fine with me.

The only problem with this method, is that it is not uncommon for Forum engines to change their link formats over time, at which point your old bookmarks become invalid.

Using your UserCP > View Topics listings, will show you ALL threads that you have ever been subscribed too. However, to see them ALL, change the filter at the bottom to "Since the beginning", and you'll see all of your threads.

By using this method, the bookmark/link is associated with your forum account, which is permanent to the forum itself (Also the fact that forum upgrades, usually update these links to conform to any new format changes that need to be made).

Cheers

Spyrule :ninja:

Hi, i got my RKL today from LFS for $99. I have the silver color SID and a coupler. I have finished the updates but when i connect the SID and RKL via PC4 i don't see the RKL in myreef. Please advise.

Hi, i got my RKL today from LFS for $99. I have the silver color SID and a coupler. I have finished the updates but when i connect the SID and RKL via PC4 i don't see the RKL in myreef. Please advise.

Please read the very first post in this thread. It details the initial set up of the RKL and myreef.

I did read it. I have updated each module separately. I can't figure out the next step. Does RKL need to be programmed manually before using myreef?

when i connect SID, PC4, RKL without powering up the PC4, myreef doesn't show RKL in the list.

TheNorthernLight
I did read it. I have updated each module separately. I can't figure out the next step. Does RKL need to be programmed manually before using myreef?

when i connect SID, PC4, RKL without powering up the PC4, myreef doesn't show RKL in the list.

The RKL gets it's power FROM the PC4, so it must be powered on. That's most likely your problem.

"NO it does not."

Power it on as spy advised. Also try inserting and removing the USB several times and even restarting your computer and trying again. Windows can be finicky that way. I had to try several times before my RKL was recognized by the myreef software. It could be a glitch in the software itself for that matter.I'm no expert but I did have to repeat the procedure several times for whatever reason before the RKL was recognized.After that its cake.

TheNorthernLight
Power it on as spy advised. Also try inserting and removing the USB several times and even restarting your computer and trying again. Windows can be finicky that way. I had to try several times before my RKL was recognized by the myreef software. It could be a glitch in the software itself for that matter.I'm no expert but I did have to repeat the procedure several times for whatever reason before the RKL was recognized.After that its cake.

Before you start inserting and removing it repeatedly. Insert it and wait 5 minutes. Putting it in and out, can actually cause problems for the driver install.

Its not the fastest USB device, so it can take a few minutes to complete installation of it's drivers.

I've got a VERY fast pc, and this was the case for me.

- Spyrule :ninja:

The initial set up can be a little frustrating but in the end its a great product and can do more than most people think right out of the box. Its definitely not just a fancy timer. Keep trying to get the RKL recognized with the caution mentioned by spy our resident expert and I think you will be ok. On the very slim chance that there is a hardware issue DA has very good customer service.Let us know if you get it working!

guys, thank for your help on this. i decided to take a different route and purchased apex controller (the remote operation got me). i will return the RKL to the LFS.

TheNorthernLight

Oh... neptunes attempt at making a knock-off lookalike like the RK2? Too funny in my mind. Also the fact they it seems to be stuck on ancient technology (X10,Serial (not USB) connections to pc).

The only nice part about the neptune system is the programming language. The price is somewhat nice though.. I'll give it that.

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to updating to the latest firmware. Head unit and pc4 no problem.Updated each and then connected everything back up to the computer and I could not get myreef to recognize the assembled system. I thought I had this thing figured out and hooked everything up as before but no luck. I finally just gave up and reconnected the RKL to my system and left it at that. :angry: