Innovative Marine Aquariums

RKL+myreef 2 for Dummies

bioload

Yes, use the controller function, and you can set up a channel to be "controlled" by your pH sensor.

The problem with using a laptop is that it draws a considerable higher amount of power just to run the software. whereas the switch/usb wifi hub will draw MUCH less power.

enjoy the extra electricity bill if you like it. :huh::lol:

Spyrule :ninja:

+1 use the controller function and you can set the channel to turn on and off by picking different devices to "control" that channel and then variables associated with that device i.e. temp with the itemp or ph with the ph probe (among others) I was of course confused about that and set my heater up wrong. For anything you want controlled by a device pick controller, then you will pick the device that trips that channel on/off at an associated value

Edited by bioload
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheNorthernLight

• bioload

• msujeff

• kgoldy

Yes, use the controller function, and you can set up a channel to be "controlled" by your pH sensor.

The problem with using a laptop is that it draws a considerable higher amount of power just to run the software. whereas the switch/usb wifi hub will draw MUCH less power.

enjoy the extra electricity bill if you like it. :huh::lol:

well my 420 watts of MH and pc if drinks electricity anyway. you have a static ip address so you can log on to it from the internet ?

Edited by jaharr01
TheNorthernLight
well my 420 watts of MH and 190 of pc if drinks electricity anyway. you have a static ip address so you can log on to it from the internet ?

nope, I use dyndns on my router, and forward a specific port to the NET module.

nope, I use dyndns on my router, and forward a specific port to the NET module.

Hey do you know if you can use this orp controller with RKL?I know it will fit (BNC) connector don't know if it will work

orp probe

TheNorthernLight

probably, but like the saying goes you get what you pay for. I'd be nervous about trusting a cheap probe at being accurate.

just my .2 cents...

probably, but like the saying goes you get what you pay for. I'd be nervous about trusting a cheap probe at being accurate.

just my .2 cents...

I don't want it to dose ozone but to get trends of how my tank is doing.Hey by the way do you have the mlc hooked up to your RKL?

nope. Don't have the MLC atm.

Hey do any of you guys RKL guys use the DA RKM bus hub? I got it and when I hooked it up the head unit kept reading error and it wouldn't work.It supposed to be a (big splitter) but it doesn't work right.There is a power plug hole, 9v but it is supposed to be optional.Has anybody used this?I can't tell if i'm hooking it up wrong or it is a bad device.Normally my RKL works fine but I want to be able to run my reef all the time and this was supposed to do the job.ANY help would be appreciated i'm stumped.

TheNorthernLight
Hey do any of you guys RKL guys use the DA RKM bus hub? I got it and when I hooked it up the head unit kept reading error and it wouldn't work.It supposed to be a (big splitter) but it doesn't work right.There is a power plug hole, 9v but it is supposed to be optional.Has anybody used this?I can't tell if i'm hooking it up wrong or it is a bad device.Normally my RKL works fine but I want to be able to run my reef all the time and this was supposed to do the job.ANY help would be appreciated i'm stumped.

First off have you checked the firmware version of it?

Make sure your only using wires from DA (do NOT use telephone wires)...

what all do you have plugged into the hub ?

First off have you checked the firmware version of it?

Make sure your only using wires from DA (do NOT use telephone wires)...

what all do you have plugged into the hub ?

Well my < 1month old RKL head unit is dead. DA had me do a test and it is dead.everything else is OK.It was a pain in the arse to put all miy old timers back on.I really did like the unit before it died..Since it went dead I decided to do an upgrade.They let me because they were going to replace it.So I upgraded to a RKE.for $149.I would get an APEX but I have a ton invested in it already.I would really like to have a wireless module and a vortech modulebut DA doesn't have one.

Edited by jaharr01
Well my < 1month old RKL head unit is dead. DA had me do a test and it is dead.everything else is OK.It was a pain in the arse to put all miy old timers back on.I really did like the unit before it died..Since it went dead I decided to do an upgrade.They let me because they were going to replace it.So I upgraded to a RKE.for $149.I would get an APEX but I have a ton invested in it already.I would really like to have a wireless module and a vortech modulebut DA doesn't have one.

That sucks! As far as I know its not common for them to crap out like that..It sounds like they took off the cost of the RKL from the RKE? Not a bad deal. The thought of going back to timers makes me shudder! We lose power frequently here and I have never needed to re- program my RKL. Not to mention the fact that the RKL does way more than a plain old timer!!!

TheNorthernLight

The $149 is the standard RKL to RKE Upgrade price... nothing special about it.

But yeah, that sucks donky b...z, and no it's definitely NOT a common occurance for the head units to outright die (only really common from bad firmware updates).

Good luck!,

I bought a cheap windows pc and was able to dl myreef and update the firmware of the sid and my alc. I will be receiving my nc led retro kit tomorrow and should have time this weekend for the brain surgery on my bc29 canopy. I will be cleaning up the rats nest of cords in my stand and updating my rkl head unit and two pc4 units and setting up the alc.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly.... :happy:

I bought a cheap windows pc and was able to dl myreef and update the firmware of the sid and my alc. I will be receiving my nc led retro kit tomorrow and should have time this weekend for the brain surgery on my bc29 canopy. I will be cleaning up the rats nest of cords in my stand and updating my rkl head unit and two pc4 units and setting up the alc.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly.... :happy:

that is too cool I wish I had dimmable ballasts so I could do it too.I think next year I 'm gonna build a new hood for my 65 gallon.This year I've spent waaay tooo muuuch on my tank.my wife is starting to get pissy about it.I think I will hold up for around 6mo and buy the LED parts a little @ a time.Hey do you guys know if there are plans for a module for a vortech?

This year I've spent waaay tooo muuuch on my tank.my wife is starting to get pissy about it.I think I will hold up for around 6mo and buy the LED parts a little @ a time.Hey do you guys know if there are plans for a module for a vortech?

HaHaha I think many of us have that "problem" with our spouses, but without them there wouldn't be anyone to say NO. That could be bad ;)

As far as the vortech I personally am perfectly happy with my MP10 and its included controller.The controller is part of what makes the vortechs so expensive. Maybe I'm missing something here but why would you want it to be controlled by the RKL? Just curious?

that is too cool I wish I had dimmable ballasts so I could do it too.I think next year I 'm gonna build a new hood for my 65 gallon.This year I've spent waaay tooo muuuch on my tank.my wife is starting to get pissy about it.I think I will hold up for around 6mo and buy the LED parts a little @ a time.Hey do you guys know if there are plans for a module for a vortech?

I think there is something in the works from DA but from what I heard, they have had "things in the works" for years and nothing has come of them.

The mp10es is great and I dont think I would even hook it up to my RKL even if I could.

I think there is something in the works from DA but from what I heard, they have had "things in the works" for years and nothing has come of them.

The mp10es is great and I dont think I would even hook it up to my RKL even if I could.

I'm a gadget guy and I guess I thought it might be neat for it to control it.I think with the apex it connects via wireless and it uses the same modes that are on the vortech. But I guess ur right it wouldn't make sense to use it.I'm never satisfied I always think I can make it better

Just hooked up my RKL to my comp to rename and change some of the channels since I've made some equipment upgrades. Anyway I discovered that there are updates available (must be recent ?) for the head unit and pc4 in case anyone is interested. Not sure what they do but I went ahead and updated. Reminder you MUST do a factory reset after the update of the firmware or the RKL won't program correctly. Then you have to re-input all your settings.:(

EDIT for double post

Edited by bioload

Everything is updated and hooked up. I was ready to throw my computer out the window trying to get everything updated... but it got it to work. All i have left to do is hook up the ALC to the main lights so I can use the dimming function. The ALC with the moonlights look amazing.

Everything is updated and hooked up. I was ready to throw my computer out the window trying to get everything updated... but it got it to work. All i have left to do is hook up the ALC to the main lights so I can use the dimming function. The ALC with the moonlights look amazing.

What colors Did u get ?

What colors Did u get ?

Lunar pods: two pod of nocturnal blue, I have it set on 40% intensity since it's on a bc29. I really like them, more subtle of a glow then the stock bc moonlight. It lights up the entire tank where the stock moonlight has three distinct beams of light.

LEDs: two strips of white, two of blue and one 50/50 arranged in the following fashion: w,b,w/b,b,w

Lunar pods: two pod of nocturnal blue, I have it set on 40% intensity since it's on a bc29. I really like them, more subtle of a glow then the stock bc moonlight. It lights up the entire tank where the stock moonlight has three distinct beams of light.

LEDs: two strips of white, two of blue and one 50/50 arranged in the following fashion: w,b,w/b,b,w

I want the MLC so bad.I would like to do a red moonlight in the evening time. does yours have a lunar cycle?If it does how does it work out?

I want the MLC so bad.I would like to do a red moonlight in the evening time. does yours have a lunar cycle?If it does how does it work out?

Yep the ALC has the lunar cycle. I've only had it up for 4-5 days or so, so I can't really comment of the entire cycle. It goes off the night mode times you have set up on the head unit. You can also pick the max intensity of the full moon so depending on the size of the tank, you can customize the settings. Supposedly it goes off the date on the unit to get close to the actual current lunar cycle.

TheNorthernLight
Yep the ALC has the lunar cycle. I've only had it up for 4-5 days or so, so I can't really comment of the entire cycle. It goes off the night mode times you have set up on the head unit. You can also pick the max intensity of the full moon so depending on the size of the tank, you can customize the settings. Supposedly it goes off the date on the unit to get close to the actual current lunar cycle.

yeah, great idea until all your corals actually lunar spawn, and you wake up the next morning to a flooded protein skimmer, and your tank has crashed because of the sudden decay spike (happened to a friend of mine).

and... btw they typically spawn on a dark moon night, so you won't see it until it's too late. Even if you do, there is no way to stop the spawn from happening when it starts, and all you can do is constant water changes.

Hope you can mix your tank's total volumn, several times over to save the tank.

We had 4 guys working for 8 hours straight, constantly mixing fresh water, and even then he lost 1/3rd of everything in the tank.

He got lucky that he woke up to a wetfloor alarm he had set to he protein skimmer, otherwise it probably would have been a total loss.

Just some food for thought. ;)

If you set it up, just interrupt the moon cycle every once in awhile, by making it suddenly brighter then normal. This interrupts the corals spawn instincts and can pretty much stop them from spawning.

yeah, great idea until all your corals actually lunar spawn, and you wake up the next morning to a flooded protein skimmer, and your tank has crashed because of the sudden decay spike (happened to a friend of mine).

and... btw they typically spawn on a dark moon night, so you won't see it until it's too late. Even if you do, there is no way to stop the spawn from happening when it starts, and all you can do is constant water changes.

Hope you can mix your tank's total volumn, several times over to save the tank.

We had 4 guys working for 8 hours straight, constantly mixing fresh water, and even then he lost 1/3rd of everything in the tank.

He got lucky that he woke up to a wetfloor alarm he had set to he protein skimmer, otherwise it probably would have been a total loss.

Just some food for thought. ;)

If you set it up, just interrupt the moon cycle every once in awhile, by making it suddenly brighter then normal. This interrupts the corals spawn instincts and can pretty much stop them from spawning.

i got my reef keeper Elite today (RKL trade in) for.I'm off for 7 days after tomorrow hopefully I can get it all set up again.