Nick's sps 45 cube

mygolfisslow

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mygolfisslow

well its back up and running.

i am super happy with the new lamp. yes another new lamp build thread

i still have to mess with the reefkeeper ALC a bit to get it where i want it, but this thing puts out some light.

the new sump is working out well. the day after i got some chato in the fuge both the bulbs in the fuge light burned out. so i took some old leds from the last build and just put 5 leds on a small heat sink in the housing with a small driver.

corals seem happy to not be in the 15 under the old t5s.

some pics for ya

sump with 20min led build

d48a1d9a.jpg

i still have to mess with the white balance on my camera, but this is just blues at about 30%

46fcdc24.jpg

this is at my set max for a wile of 45% blue and 40% white. i will work it up over the next month or so

3bdc2fea.jpg

c789a862.jpg

and in other news my clowns have found something to host other than my cup coral

17ad4d1f.jpg

going shopping for a new wrasse tomorrow, the x-mass got to large and went to a buddys 40b

mygolfisslow
nice,looks great

I got some new stuff as well,war coral,and some new zoas

I'll get some new pics tonight

thanks bro its getting back to normal.

got some new stuff yesterday.

first off fragged a chunk of my buddys favia

ac12a766.jpg

porcelain crab

fd02615f.jpg

and a hi-fin/ pistol combo

they are currently on opposite sides of the tank i hope they find eachother but i hear these things take some time

95652186.jpg

88737440.jpg

nice, I hope the shrimp and gobie make friends,so cool to see

but I've heard it can be hit and miss

especially if they did not come together

lookin good and good luck

mygolfisslow
Sick tank. Always pondering this one or the 60. Love the cubes, just so much space in there.

i am a big fan of the 45 the 60 just seems a bit to deep

mygolfisslow
Very nice build on that led unit. Looks proffessional. Tanks looking good too.

Thanks all

Things seem to be going well. Got some more chato and some pods from reefcleaners.

My hi fin goby has vanished. I found no body so I don't think he died. Hopefully he's just hiding.

• 2 weeks later...
mygolfisslow

its been quite some time since i updated last and much has changed. the black out did not work to kill all the hair algae and now i also have some red slime and my corals are still brown.... yay im so happy........

i have decided to take the biopellets off line. i may try it again at a later date. i will be going with the tried and true GFO/GAC. i picked up an eheim 2211 and am runnin chempure elite in it. it has been running a few days and i already see an improvement. things are starting to color back up and grow a bit faster.

i think the bio-pellets where just dumping organics back into my system that it just could not keep up with. i was running about 2/3 what BRS says i should be running, even that seems to be too much. i have seen that solid carbon works, i just think it is not nearly as fool proof as they want you to think it is.

mygolfisslow

So much has happened in my tank over the last week or two. I will be doing a big update with pics tomorrow as it is my day off. Stay tuned

mygolfisslow

update as promised

it seem the tide has turned on my algae battle. alot of things had to be done

i had to raise the light over my sump as it turned all of my chato white and killed it.

i went to my LFS and got a massive ball of chato the seems to finally be out competing the HA.

i was also having a red slime problem on my sand bed, so i went with the only sure fire way i could think of to get rid of it...... replace the sand..... i think i had to many nutrients built up in the sand from the last tank that was fueling the algae.

it took about 4 hours to do it all. first took all the water, fish and inverts out. i scrubbed, rinsed all the rock and removed all the old sand. i replaced it with 20lb of live sand and 15lb of dry all rised and mixed in WC water. then put it all back in with about 10gal of freshly mixed water.

i was amazed at the stuff that came out of my rock and the filth that was my sand bed.

i have been keeping an eye on my ammonia levels and doing 5gal WC as soon as any shows up on my test kits.

every thing seems real happy, my corals have alot more PE and the colors are coming back.

i did this all last friday, and have yet to see the return of the red slime and what HA remains does not seem to be growing.

my hi-fin goby has finally decided to show himself after two weeks of hiding. i thought i had lost him.

i also got a super deal on a mystery wrasse. he comes out but as soon as you get close to the tank he darts back into the rocks.

i am going out of town next week and my sister will be looking after the tank, dosing and whatnot. i hope all goes well.

and some pics

a3f9282c.jpg

9dd8d880.jpg

3a9c5557.jpg

1115f4ed.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

it has been some time since this thread was super active. during the summer months i was busy with my other project and going to shows and what not. the tank sort of ran on auto pilot all seemed well.

Halloween 2011 the northeast was hit with a storm a big big storm. in western ma we got 14+ inches of snow in little over a day. most of new england lost power. i lost power for 4days, and it got cold. all the blankets in the world will not keep 50 gallons of water warm in a 30 degree apartment. i was prepared to put all the live stock into buckets and bring them some place with warmth and power, but no one i knew had power.

i lost everything

once the power came back on i started cooking my rock. i cooked the rock for 6 weeks, and in December i started over.

it has been running since and things are starting to come together.

there have been a few snags. i am having trouble keeping my alk up. it seems to hold around 8dkh and the next day will be down to 5dkh. i find it highly unlikely that my 3 tiny frags are eating it all up. i have done a bit of reading on here and it seems that the few that are also having this problem are all using Kent reef salt. i ordered a big bucket of the brightwell salt, it should be here today, i have used it in the past and been happy with it. i dont know why i let my lfs guy talk me into switching.

i may post some pics at some point soon, but there's not much to look at.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that you lost everything... You're tank was looking really nice. I'm glad you're starting over, I'm not sure if I could after a loss like that.

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that you lost everything... You're tank was looking really nice. I'm glad you're starting over, I'm not sure if I could after a loss like that.

it was bad.

it has been runing for some time but i had gotten to the point that i could not look at the tank.

the 45 cube has been taken down :( new thread to come.

hint same foot print just shorter

Archived