ReefCleaners.org

Nick's sps 45 cube

mygolfisslow

golf, nice tank! seriously. I really liked seeing the progression of your tanks as well. Your 120 looked nice too.

Eventually that's the size tank I want to set up someday.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mygolfisslow
golf, nice tank! seriously. I really liked seeing the progression of your tanks as well. Your 120 looked nice too.

Eventually that's the size tank I want to set up someday.

thanks, yes the 120 was super fun. i miss it some times, but it was alot more work to maintain than smaller tanks.

dosed algaefix for the 3rd time today still not seeing any ill affects. scrubbed the crap out of a few rocks. i want this stuff gone. from what i have read people start to see it working around the 3rd dose. so im hopeful that things will turn around.

mygolfisslow

i went down to ct yesterday and hit 5 different stores. check out my new england LFS reveiw thread.

picked up a few things, some nice zoas, a real nice clam and a sweet freebie. i will post some pics soon.

on another note the GHA seems to be dieing off, not sure what is helping more, less feeding, wet skimming, increased WC, the bio-pellets starting to kick in(running for 6 weeks), or the algae fix. i have started to notice a decrease in color in my sps and a little less PE, this may be from the algaefix. today would be the 4th dose, i am unsure if i will does again today. we shall see, i will do a WC and decide later.

mygolfisslow

new stuff

zoa rock purple with green skirt and a green ring around the mouth

9705c4d4.jpg

clam its small but has a super pretty pattern

4b3e305f.jpg

top down

980467fb.jpg

and the freebie zoa. i think this may be my new favorite zoa. i hope it colonizes nicely

bright orange skirt with yellowish green center.

afff0a4b.jpg

a117263b.jpg

mygolfisslow
Those pictures look awesome Nick. What type of lens are you using on your camera?

most of the macros are shot with a sigma 105mm macro on a canon 60d. alot of my full tank shots are shot with a sigma 10-20mm or my canon 17-85.

nice tank history.

your 125 inspired me to set up my 20xh

that and rc nano threads

I really liked the corner bow also,too bad I never saw it in person

lovin the progression of the cube :bowdown:

mygolfisslow
nice tank history.

your 125 inspired me to set up my 20xh

that and rc nano threads

I really liked the corner bow also,too bad I never saw it in person

lovin the progression of the cube :bowdown:

thanks bro, its funny how we seem to fuel each others foolish hobbies.

i did end up doing a forth dose of algae fix, although im pretty sure it will be the last. some of my sps are starting to brown out and the only thing i can pin it on is the algae fix. before i started dosing i was seeing a steady increase in coral color, and it seems that after dosing four times things seem to be getting less vibrant. the HA is dieing so something is working. i will do a WC on friday and take a week off from the algae fix to see if the colors start coming back, and if the HA starts growing again.

i have started the planing stages of another led build. as much as i love the simplicity of the boost lamp, i would like to have more control. i will let you all know how it goes and will be making a build thread in the lighting forum.

took some shots of some of my inverts yesterday, enjoy....

2014c2fd.jpg

35b3ad6c.jpg

d0ac5153.jpg

mygolfisslow
I wish I could get my pom pom crab to come out in the open. I wonder if they do better in pairs?

i say get as many as you can.

i love my pompoms the are the coolest creature in the tank.

not much to update..... the frag farmers market is tomorrow, i cant wait.

i will let you all know what i find, i may bring my camera and take a sh!t load of pics.

mygolfisslow

got a few cool things at the swap yesterday. i will take some pics later in the day.

i did end up dosing a 5th dose of algae fix but im sure it will be the last im starting to see less PE.

i think i may just keep up with frequent WC and ride it out. for a few weeks and and let the algae exhaust the nutrients that are feeding it. it shouldn't take all that long i have been doing 5gal WC every 3 days with 0tds water for the last 2 weeks.

on a side note i think i watched 2 of my pompoms have sex this morning there where pompoms and legs everywhere.

mygolfisslow

pics of frag swap acquisitions as promised.

i couldnt really capture the full colors with this one, blue tips and a greenish hue in the center where it branches out.

522707d8.jpg

this one is small but i think it is real cool, purple with green polyps.

2d7029fd.jpg

the guy i got this one from called it a teal stag.

a5fd4bfb.jpg

i have started my other build it is coming along.

1fa6fb79.jpg

nice lovin that tiny purple&green acro

but where the hell are the acan pix?

thats all anyone cares about anyway,ACANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

right?

mygolfisslow

you all asked me to let you know how the algaefix worked. well after dosing 5 times every 3 days i did seem to hold back the HA. although i will have to say that my SPS did not like it. i dont think it did any permanent damage but i did seem that the overall health of some of them went down, less PE and quite a bit of color loss. yet things still seem to be growing just not as fast as the first few weeks. i don't know how much of it i want to blame on the algaefix, i was doing waterchanges every 3 days for the last month and the biopellets just passed the 8 week mark that they say it takes to kick in. alot of changes have been going on, but all the water perams have been consistent 0s. so i dont have much else to blame it on.

i will go back to doing weekly WC and just let things ride out. hopefully things will start to look better again.

its more than a little frustrating seen all these wonderfull colors start to come out and then in two weeks watch everything brown out.

so my final verdict or algaefix is, yes it does work to kill HA, it is invert safe, and it is for the most part safe for corals. although it may cause the loss of color and health. if you have already unhealthy corals it may do them in. so be careful.

i will let you all know how things go. lets all pray to the reef gods that it all comes back.

Also I did a little math. As it turns out the marineland 45 gallon cube is in fact a 39 gallon tank.

Hi, love your tank, very stunning setup! I’m pretty sure I’m looking at a 45’ish cube for my next project. Few questions if you don’t mind helping me out... first how you did you figure out 39 gallons? Also, are the 24” x 24” dimensions measured at the tank trim or glass? Finally, what’s the glass thickness... specifically curious for the bulkhead depth (short or tall) you got from Glass-Holes.

Much appreciated, and again, beautiful B)

mygolfisslow
Hi, love your tank, very stunning setup! I’m pretty sure I’m looking at a 45’ish cube for my next project. Few questions if you don’t mind helping me out... first how you did you figure out 39 gallons? Also, are the 24” x 24” dimensions measured at the tank trim or glass? Finally, what’s the glass thickness... specifically curious for the bulkhead depth (short or tall) you got from Glass-Holes.

Much appreciated, and again, beautiful B)

Thanks For checking it out.

To answer your questions. Yes the 24x24 foot print is from trim ro trim. The measurements from glass to glass is about 22.5. The glass thickness is 3/8. That's how I came up with the 39 gallons the volume of a square 21.75x21.75x18 is something like 39.36 gallons.

If you are going to pick up a marineland cube I strongly suggest that you do not get the pre-drilled one. I have heard clountless horror stories about the stock overflow. I got mine from glass-holes and am very happy with it.

Ah that would certainly explain it, thanks for the numbers. I was eyeing up the glass-holes kit... I like the smaller box and no-nonsense approach, glad to hear you like it.

mygolfisslow

not much to update..

tank kind of looks like hell right now. its a bit stressful, the hair algae is still present and a few of my acros still dont look so hot.

You have a beautiful tank. Love the rockscape; it's perfect.

You have some choice selection of SPS too.

With the hair algae I have always found that Rowaphos Kicks it's hairy arse so easily. In my past few tanks Rowaphos caused HA to disappear within 2 weeks.

If you werent running the biopellets I would have said stick some Rowaphos in.

Good luck with this tank. I'll be keeping an eye on this tank-looks very promising.

mygolfisslow

thanks, sahin.. but if you saw it now it would make you sad..

for the last week and a half, i have set a plan into effect as i have been having some issues.

had a fair amount of HA when i decided to try algae fix... i had done a lot of reading on it and there seemed to be quite a few success stories. i made it through 6 doses before i started to see some ill side effects. loss of color less PE, you all know the story if you have been following. well two weeks after i stopped dosing things still where not looking up. i even lost a few frags.

so this is what i think happened.......

i think that along with the HA algaefix may have killed off the bacteria in my bio-pellet reactor. causing a massive release of phos in turn feeding the remaining HA. also causing a small ammonia spike adding to the ill heath of some corals. i also had a small red slime out break because there was no longer stronger bacteria.

the plan..

i have restarted dosing of mb7.

i have moved all corals/clams/zoes to a frag tank with no fish.

display tank has been in full black out for 3 days and will continue until the new lamp is finished.

i have decided not to rely on bio-pellets as my only form of N/P removal.

i have built a new sump with a fuge, i will have a big ball of cheto in there as soon as it goes on line. (possibly this weekend) i ran my last tank with just a big ball of cheto with great success.

fuge will be lit 24/7 for the remainder of the black out.

each rock in the display will be taken out and scrubbed free of HA before fuge goes online (about half way there 3 large rocks left)

i will probably keep running the bio-pellets but will run half the recommended amount, as to not starve out the cheto.

the group buy on leds ended last friday so they wont be here for another two weeks. so the black out will go for a total of 3 weeks. i have already seen massive improvements. the corals all seem happy in there temporary home. the HA in the display is falling out in clumps. skimmer is pulling dark green slime.

i know it all seems a bit drastic but i want it all gone. and short of cooking all my rock. i think its the only way to make sure.

wish me luck, i would post some pics but you would all cry. maybe later.

Sorry to hear that you had trouble with the Marine Algea fix... I've been debating using it to get rid of some persistant HA. I have a couple SPS frags that are still adjusting to my new light bulb, so I will probably wait until they are totally healthy before I try it. I hope the black out works for you.

mygolfisslow

the blackout is going well, for the last few days i have been turkey basting out as much as i can and scrubbing the rest. it is getting hard to find any in the display. :)

the new sump is finished and on line. i will pick up some cheto tomorrow or sat. and will start running it lit 24/7 until the display is lit again.

i have found a new home for my x-mass wrasse and my ####### cleaner shrimp.

and i have some pics for you all good stuff first..

sump

aa1a4340.jpg

sump lit

5f478bba.jpg

running

f93b9842.jpg

c98effd5.jpg

temp frag tank

aed26761.jpg

darkness

c096c7e6.jpg

Archived