Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nick's sps 45 cube

mygolfisslow

ive been away for a few days. i had a nasty case of computer aids and i may have punched my PC to death. but thankfully uncle sam gave back all the money i gave him this year. so i am now the proud owner of a shiny new macbook pro, and i cant seem to figure out why i was running pc's for so long.

now back to reef stuff....

i finished the startup dosing of the mb7 on tuesday now only a few drops a day i also picked up some brightwell AA on sunday and have been adding them. i have use them in the past and was pleased with the results.

nitrates and phos are still testing 0.

hair algae is receding.

still have a bit of a diatom problem on the sand, but its not to bad it.

the colors are starting to come back in most of my corals and i have noticed some growth in a few.

im still trying to find the sweet spot for two part dosing.

not alot of chatter on me thread please let me know what you think. comments/suggestions/criticisms

and some pics for you all (shot with lensbaby and 10x macro)

_MG_7901.jpg

_MG_7895.jpg

_MG_7902.jpg

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

picked up some things today.. my hawkens blue did not survive the pally infestation, and was one of my favs so i had to have another got a tiny piece from puppy center for a good price.

also got a small chunk of red planet. and the last fish to go into the system.

_MG_7921.jpg

a little banged up from transport

_MG_7922.jpg

welcome "skeeter B the 3rd" im hoping that this one does well. i have always loved them i lost one when i moved to the 34. he had hidden in the sand and by the time i found him :(, number two got in a fight with the mp10 and lost, screen on the mp10 and we should be good to go.

_MG_7923.jpg

new FTS

got a tds meter today and it would seem that my tap waters not so bad 98ppm.

i have been running just RO with a tds of 17ppm. added a DI canister and 0ppm.

i cleaned out my ATO and replaced all the water in it. im not so sure what happened in there i may have gotten some saltwater in there but it was at 117ppm :huh:

im still having a diatom issue, guess that 17ppm is probably silicates.

phos tested at 0.09 today so im making some new ro/di and am gunna do another 5gal WC.

nitrates are still testing 0.

ordered som active carbon from BRS i havent run carbon before, alot of people on here swear by it so why not.

_MG_7927copy.jpg

I love your lights! what LED moon lights did you get? I would love to set up something like yours.

they are moon light pods for the reefkeeper moon light controler. they are super cool the they dim in time with the lunar cycle.

The reefkeeper lite Honestly the best $129 I've spent on my tank. If you do the math.... You'll spend $40 or so on a good power strip then $15 on a timer x2 if you want dusk/dawn then another $20 or so on a good thermometer. Just spend the extra $ you won't regret it plus you can add all sorts of thing from ph monitors ro full on light control.

they are moon light pods for the reefkeeper moon light controler. they are super cool the they dim in time with the lunar cycle.

The reefkeeper lite Honestly the best $129 I've spent on my tank. If you do the math.... You'll spend $40 or so on a good power strip then $15 on a timer x2 if you want dusk/dawn then another $20 or so on a good thermometer. Just spend the extra $ you won't regret it plus you can add all sorts of thing from ph monitors ro full on light control.

I'm getting the RKL plus. I'll definitely be adding that moonlight module.

so i got a few mex turbos today to try and get rid of the last of the GHA. its growing real slow but it does seem to still be growing. i have stepped up my water changes to 5 gal twice a week, and cut my light back and hour....

in other news i got an new acro it is an ORA stupid black plugs.... i have no idea what it is?????

thin branch has a pale brown base almost lavender tips with white polyps.

_MG_7957.jpg

_MG_7954.jpg

let me know what you think it is.

The tank is looking really good! I am going for the 60 cube with the same gl#######s set up (overflow in the center with 2 returns, one on either side). Can you tell me what size overflow box you used. I see you used the 1/2" lockline returns with a Mag 3.

page 3 1110 veiws........ woot woot

The tank is looking really good! I am going for the 60 cube with the same gl#######s set up (overflow in the center with 2 returns, one on either side). Can you tell me what size overflow box you used. I see you used the 1/2" lockline returns with a Mag 3.

i went with the Super Nano con Dientes Overflow Kit, its rated at 300gph. i did away with the pvc elbow that comes with the kit as the ID looks a bit restricting so i used a pvc T fitting (pics on page 1) it flows a bit better i could probably get away with up to 400 gph. as for the mag 3 it is rated at 350 gph (about 290 with 4ft of head). split between the two returns it doesn't move all that much in the tank. i just use it to get things trough the sump with mp10 for most of the water movment in the display.

depending on what you want for turnover in the sump the glass-holes 700gph kit and a mag5 or 7 will move a lot of water. its up to you.

I was thinking about going with the 700 kit with a mag 7, but i'm not sure if i should go for the 2- 1/2" or 3/4 lockline returns.

What is the glass thickness of your 45 and have you had any trouble with the MP10 on it? I wanted to use my MP10 that I have, but have been getting mixed responses when using it on 1/2" glass which is what the 60 cube is.

I was thinking about going with the 700 kit with a mag 7, but i'm not sure if i should go for the 2- 1/2" or 3/4 lockline returns.

it comes down to pressure. you will move the same amount of water with both give or take a few gph. the 1/2 will have more pressure with a strong narrow streem when compared to the 3/4. thw 3/4 will have a wider more gentle flow. if you go with the mag7 i would shoot for the 3/4.

What is the glass thickness of your 45 and have you had any trouble with the MP10 on it? I wanted to use my MP10 that I have, but have been getting mixed responses when using it on 1/2" glass which is what the 60 cube is.

my 45 has 3/8 glass and have had no problem with my mp10. im pretty sure the 60 is also 3/8 glass 1/2 is real thick for a small tank.

fishez4alivin

nice tank, thought you had an ORA Aussie Delicate, had same looking coral, same brownish to purple tips, and white/light green polyps, that a local gave me, but I passed it off to someone.

it comes down to pressure. you will move the same amount of water with both give or take a few gph. the 1/2 will have more pressure with a strong narrow streem when compared to the 3/4. thw 3/4 will have a wider more gentle flow. if you go with the mag7 i would shoot for the 3/4.

Still not positive, but the 3/4 sounds better.

my 45 has 3/8 glass and have had no problem with my mp10. im pretty sure the 60 is also 3/8 glass 1/2 is real thick for a small tank.

The 60 does have 1/2" glass which seems like it is overkill for a smaller tank, but they went that route. I have been trying to research using MP10's on it with mixed answers.

so i got a few mex turbos today to try and get rid of the last of the GHA. its growing real slow but it does seem to still be growing. i have stepped up my water changes to 5 gal twice a week, and cut my light back and hour....

in other news i got an new acro it is an ORA stupid black plugs.... i have no idea what it is?????

thin branch has a pale brown base almost lavender tips with white polyps.

_MG_7957.jpg

_MG_7954.jpg

let me know what you think it is.

It"s an Acropora Fenneri. I have one as well. They grow vertically kind of like a tabling acro. Fast grower, pretty hardy. Mine tripled in size within a year

well the new system has been up and running with all inhabitants for one month. and all is well.

the hair algae is growing real slow i have up to two waterchanges a week in hopes to stop whatever is feeding it.

all the corals are showing growth, and are coloring up nicely.

on a sadder note the long spine is gone (that didnt last long). i woke up this morning to it munching on one of my acros :angry: so he was evicted. brought him back to the store and traded for some cool red zoes.

i did end up getting that sigma macro lens on the e-bay for a super price i hope it gets here soon :D

The 60 does have 1/2" glass which seems like it is overkill for a smaller tank, but they went that route. I have been trying to research using MP10's on it with mixed answers.

My statement might be false.... haha

p.s. keep up the good work on the tank!

Archived