ReefCleaners.org

schg ADA 30c planted "アダム"

schgr.cube

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
omgomgomg omgomgomg Nice Otos! ;)

Thanks! Just got them, so we'll see how they do.

Cool - I could never get them to live for long. Must have been from a disreputable collector.

They are hit or miss, can be pretty sensitive when first bought. Usually if they make it past 2 weeks or so, they're golden. I got mine at Petsmart because no local stores sell them, or if they can get them in they cost about $8 per fish.

Sweet I always liked the otocinclus affins I had, though I once saw a zebra pleco and I don't think there is feasibly a cooler FW fish in all the land.

This tank is about to explode with awesome, right?

What area in DC are you looking to move?

animalmaster6
Moved my cherry shrimp over from my other tank today:

ADA022811-001.jpg

THat's one awesome pic man.

though I once saw a zebra pleco and I don't think there is feasibly a cooler FW fish in all the land.

THose are stunning. How much did it cost? I saw $300 somewhere :o That's SW fish crazy not FW!

Sweet I always liked the otocinclus affins I had, though I once saw a zebra pleco and I don't think there is feasibly a cooler FW fish in all the land.

This tank is about to explode with awesome, right?

What area in DC are you looking to move?

I like otos too, great personalities. I'm not really a huge fan of plecos, although zebra plecos are quite nice. I am going to attempt to find a zebra oto though, as I think they're awesome.

Tank should be awesome once my plants grow out, see below!

And we're actually looking at Silver Spring right now, for cost reasons. Once we are going to buy though, who knows. My job will be in Georgetown, but we'll never be able to afford to live there! lol.

Get a freakin PEA PUFFFFER!!!!!!!!!!! tiny ones wont harrass shrimps =D

lol, I don't want to have to worry about anything that might eat the babies! I might not even do any other fish for a while.

THat's one awesome pic man.

THose are stunning. How much did it cost? I saw $300 somewhere :o That's SW fish crazy not FW!

Thanks! I liked it too. I need to buy a macro lens....

Got my new patch of UG today, she literally sent me a 2"x3" patch, and I damn near filled the tank. I didn't have the patience to plant this amount individually, so I just clumped them and planted that way. Hopefully it grows out nice and quick.

ADA030211-001.jpg

I also got my CO2 running today, wish I could afford a better regulator though. This Milwaukee one is a POS. But any port in a storm, I suppose.

It's really coming along! Im in the process of redoing my 40g discus tank, ive decided to go rimless and high tech, so it's nice to have a few people on NR still interested in FW.

Those otos are coool!

how big is that C02 cylinder? I think i'm gonna go 20lb, but I dont want it to be in sight....

That is a 2.5lb, its the cheapest I could find (free), hence it having a round bottom and me not caring lol.

For a 40g if probably just go with a 5lb or 10lb, it will be plenty.

Lost 2 of my shrimp and 1 of the oto's due to over-gassing the tank, but I think I have it controlled now. I'm still getting a new needle valve to keep this ####ty regulator stable, just in case. However, I went to Petsmart today and found out they have oto's on sale for $1 each, so I bought 3 more. I can't find cheap cherry shrimp locally though, so those replacements will have to wait...

• 2 weeks later...

Package currently on it's way to me, containing the following:

-Anubias nana petite

-Rotala nanjenshan

-Rotala indica

-Rotala rotundifolia

-about 12+ cherry shrimp, some of which are Sakura (BRIGHT red, even coloration)

Absolutely gorgeous... Making me drool.

Thanks! I got your e-mail about the optics, sorry I haven't responded yet. I'm trying to figure out a way to convince my wife to let me spend more money after I had just paid all that money for my plant and shrimp package lol. PLUS, we agreed that for my birthday (end of the month!) that I can get some more tattoo work done.

That pic is so awesome sc....fantastic composition.

LOL thanks, it was more of a fluke than anything. Oto's are really hard to get pictures of, they're constantly moving.

So I was debating not taking a picture right now because of the state the tank is in, but I decided to document this tank fully both good and bad. Right now the UG looks like absolute ####, although it isn't quite as yellow as it is in these pictures. The problem is twofold; UG tends to have a bit off a difficult time going from emmersed to submersed, so I just need to get over this acclimation period. Also, the light was a little too high up, and I was actually having a hard time getting my bar adjusted until tonight. I was able to lower it down, but I am trying to buy some more narrow lenses from boostled (need money, just spent too much on more plants lol). If I can narrow the optics down, I can keep the light at a decent level and still get the output I need from it. Regardless, the plants are definitely growing, I've noticed a 25% increase over the past 2 weeks.

Here it is:

ADA03152011-001.jpg

Also a corner shot:

ADA03152011-002.jpg

You might notice I also tied some java moss to the driftwood. We'll see how that turns out, if I like it I'll add more.

Not too much to update, UG is still struggling to actually do anything but grow UP. The new plants are growing well enough though, so I guess I should take a new picture. Not sure if I mentioned already that I got a bunch of new shrimp, but they are growing quickly and one of my old ones gave birth as well.

Haven't really had the motivation to do much with the tank lately as the new job is keeping me REALLY busy. But there are many benefits to this new job, one of which is the new macbook I'm sitting on currently. :D

I'll take pictures tomorrow when I clean the lily pipes up.

• 3 weeks later...
do you think it's the LED's? My UG took off under metal halide.

I ordered new optics for my Par 30, but if that doesn't help the situation then a 70w DIY is the way I will be going. For now I have a 26w compact fluorescent on, which is actually helping a bit but I'm still not happy with it.

Hey sc where's that update?!

Here you go, my new job has been keeping me so busy that I haven't had time to clean the tank.

ADA041511-001.jpg

ADA041511-002.jpg

ADA041511-003.jpg

UG is still looking pretty yellow, but has started to green up a bit. I need to trim it again soon, and maybe once I get the light intensity up a bit it will actually spread out.

Archived