Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

schg ADA 30c planted "アダム"

schgr.cube

I have a secret love for planted tanks that I just discovered. You're totally feeding it too with this lovely tank. I'm glad this one is here amidst all the reef tanks. I get my little dose of planted without leaving the site.

I'm definitely following along. Loving the scape so far.

Do you have any recommended reading or recommended sites for planted tanks? I wouldn't mind learning more about them.

lol, glad I could help feed it. :happy: Thanks for the kind words, hopefully I can deliver with this tank.

I'm also on www.plantedtank.net and www.aquaticplantcentral.com, but honestly both are kind of slow for me. I'm used to the pace of NR.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*whispers quietly* Maybe if a few more of these tanks suddenly pop up in here, it'll get it's own little special corner. :ninja:

I've been on plantedtank.net. They put ideas in my head, like little pico planted tanks with shrimp in them. Oooh, which reminds me. I don't know if you mentioned it already, but what kind of livestock is going in here?

Lol a Rain I've considered one too as schg already said "DO ITTT" a couple of posts back lol.

Schg I would have to get some fish. Wouldn't be able to resist. Lol

*whispers quietly* Maybe if a few more of these tanks suddenly pop up in here, it'll get it's own little special corner. :ninja:

I've been on plantedtank.net. They put ideas in my head, like little pico planted tanks with shrimp in them. Oooh, which reminds me. I don't know if you mentioned it already, but what kind of livestock is going in here?

If all goes well, a group of crystal red shrimp, two zebra otocinclus cats, and a regular oto (my wife likes them more than the zebras). I may get a few amano shrimp as well if I need them for algae control, but who knows. I also like the horned nerites, but am unsure of if I will be doing snails in this.

Lol a Rain I've considered one too as schg already said "DO ITTT" a couple of posts back lol.

Schg I would have to get some fish. Wouldn't be able to resist. Lol

I WANT fish eventually, but they are not a priority. We also didn't want to have to deal with too much livestock when we move back to DC, as it will be a 14 hour trip. Who knows though....maybe I'll get some fish.

I sold my ECCO 2236, and got a Classic 2211 coming in on the 25th. The 2236 was just going to take up too much water volume for it to work out correctly, so there was no point in using it.

My .02 but canister filters, a lot of the time, can gas off your CO2 from to much surface agitation. I like to use an AC50 turned down running just a sponge. I really like what you have going on here. I am going to be using a Picotope to get me a little planted tank going with some skrimps. I really want to see how it goes for you with the LEDs. have you noticed any positive response from the plants?

Hey schg... are you on planted tank? I had a few of my tanks there. I think canisters are the way to go on FW. If you're using pressurized CO2 then gassing off CO2 is an afterthought. Are you going with Lilly pipes?

@ neuwave: DO EEEEEETTT!!! *nudge, nudge* You know you want to!

If all goes well, a group of crystal red shrimp, two zebra otocinclus cats, and a regular oto (my wife likes them more than the zebras). I may get a few amano shrimp as well if I need them for algae control, but who knows. I also like the horned nerites, but am unsure of if I will be doing snails in this.

Yes! Red shrimp...my favorite! Can't wait to see how this unfolds. I'm looking forward to lots of pics!

My .02 but canister filters, a lot of the time, can gas off your CO2 from to much surface agitation. I like to use an AC50 turned down running just a sponge. I really like what you have going on here. I am going to be using a Picotope to get me a little planted tank going with some skrimps. I really want to see how it goes for you with the LEDs. have you noticed any positive response from the plants?

Yeah, that is a risk I'm willing to take. Form over function for this build, as I'd rather make my life more difficult and have a better looking tank. My opinion on aquariums is that I can make them a piece of art as well as fully hospitable for all inhabitants. And I haven't noticed any positive response yet, but no negative response either. I'll definitely keep it updated.

Hey schg... are you on planted tank? I had a few of my tanks there. I think canisters are the way to go on FW. If you're using pressurized CO2 then gassing off CO2 is an afterthought. Are you going with Lilly pipes?

Yupp, have a thread on there and APC as well. I think I've seen a few of your tanks on there already. Yeah I am going with lily pipes, just not sure what kind and when as money is a big issue. Sammy113 is making me some acrylic ones which should serve me well for a while.

Yes! Red shrimp...my favorite! Can't wait to see how this unfolds. I'm looking forward to lots of pics!

I'm a picture whore, don't worry.

Nice! Aqua forest sells the Do!Aqua line. It's a lot cheaper than the ADA line...

http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?main_pa...amp;cPath=65_67

Yeah, I'm thinking cheaper than that too lol. I might have found something that will work...

Nice planted tank! I really like these tanks a lot. The artistic aspects are wonderful.

Good luck.

Agreed, 'real' aquascaping is quite fun. :happy:

I just cleaned up my 10in do!aqua cube and am also about to start the tank as fwp. Nowhere as high tech as yours but similar in concept I guess

Nice! With your track record, I'm sure it will be awesome.

Nice! With your track record, I'm sure it will be awesome.

My track record would indicate the exact opposite actually. How big is the par38 lamp (diameter, height, overall impression). If not too big I might just get one for the tank. thanks

My track record would indicate the exact opposite actually. How big is the par38 lamp (diameter, height, overall impression). If not too big I might just get one for the tank. thanks

Meh, at least you have clever ideas. It's less than 4" both ways, and I absolutely love it so far. The color is spot on, and it has perfect coverage for my tank. I'm only 1 week in, so not really seeing any growth yet, but the UG is definitely perking up already. Should hopefully have some visible results soon. Shoot me a PM if you decide to get one, I have a coupon code...

ADA012511-001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Good news, bad news, ugly news.

Good:

Bought a Milwaukee regulator tonight, should be here pretty quick since its shipping from Georgia.

Filled the tank, although earlier than expected.

Bad:

UG is almost completely melted, I have about 1/8 of what I started with.

Had to flood the tank because I figured if I was going to lose the rest of the UG anyway, I might as well give it a chance in a filled tank and see how it does.

Ugly:

My Eheim 2211 is loud as ####, I think there's something wrong with the impeller. Maybe I should open it back up and fiddle with it...

Good news, bad news, ugly news.

Good:

Bought a Milwaukee regulator tonight, should be here pretty quick since its shipping from Georgia.

Filled the tank, although earlier than expected.

Bad:

UG is almost completely melted, I have about 1/8 of what I started with.

Had to flood the tank because I figured if I was going to lose the rest of the UG anyway, I might as well give it a chance in a filled tank and see how it does.

Ugly:

My Eheim 2211 is loud as ####, I think there's something wrong with the impeller. Maybe I should open it back up and fiddle with it...

Booooo for bad news!

You are making me want to do a planted tank!! Looks awsome so far!

Booooo for bad news!

You are making me want to do a planted tank!! Looks awsome so far!

Thanks! You should do one, they really are amazing.

UG is fickle... but all you need is a bit to take hold, and then you're good.

Yeah, I'm hoping the little bit I have left will do well. If not, I found a source locally for more, but it is quite expensive...

I decided to post a picture of the tank filled, even though I have the green Eheim pipes on and the water is still kind of brown from the tannins (apparently I didn't boil it all out lol).

ADA020511-001.jpg

I figured this would give me a nice comparison opportunity down the line.

Man that looks awsome! So how about some advice.....I'm really thinking about starting one! What would be a min size tank gallon wise? Maybe a shallow cube, or a 20 long I'm thinking.. Rimless of course.

Man that looks awsome! So how about some advice.....I'm really thinking about starting one! What would be a min size tank gallon wise? Maybe a shallow cube, or a 20 long I'm thinking.. Rimless of course.

I'm more into small tanks, but honestly that is up to you. I'll have to send you a few links when I get home from work.

your tank looked nicer emersed. screw UG time to get a mini pellia field

Ouch. Jerk. -_-

ADA020911-001.jpg

Now I need a tank, anyone want to send me $100 so I can have a little shopping spree at greenleaf? :D

Wow that looks really good sc! Your really making me want to start my planted ADA 45-p sooner than later...

Get started already, I want to have more NR members to talk to about planted tanks. :happy:

that tank will look so dope once you get lily pipes!

I know I'm excited. The water has cleared up a lot too, so the next picture should look pretty good. I'm honestly surprised the pipes aren't here yet though, so they should be coming any day now....

I have had the hardest time finding a local shop to rent me a tank. I was told by Orlando AirGas that they "guarantee me that no one will rent me a tank that small, but they can sell me one for $120." LOL I'll buy one from Greenleaf for $70 before I do that. I found a big ass tank locally for $10 that I might pick up tomorrow and see if I can swap it out or something. Maybe someone with a bigger tank would want to trade me for their 5lb tank? Who knows.

Also, tonight, I broke my glass diffuser. That's what I get for going the cheap route, but I will admit it was a dumb mistake. I was fiddling with it trying to figure out my tubing, and I decided to take it off the glass to add another suction cup. Well when I was trying to put it back on, I pushed on the larger portion of it to press the cups in, and broke the stem. I think I'm going inline next anyway, just need money for all this ####...

Archived