ReefCleaners.org

Clam hitchhiker on live rock

BillsCountry

BillsCountry

Hi All

I recently purchased a BC14 and am cycling with live rock and sand. Two days ago I received my shipment of live rock and put it in the tank. I looked today and noticed one of my "rocks" moved. Being new to the hobby I thought this was a rock, but then I saw it open and shut quick. The clam has coralline algae and some plant growth on it. Any suggestions as to what I should do with the clam? I attached a picture. Sorry for the bad quality.

Thanks

post-62963-1294449138_thumb.jpg

I've got a bunch of those and have never done anything specifically for them. They're pretty hardy - made it though the LFS's live rock bin and trip to my house, plus the cycle, without a problem. They aren't photosyntheitic, so don't need to worry about light. If they aren't happy with where they are, they can detach from the rock and move. The only problem I can think of is if you're running a ultra-low-nutrient system, in which case there might not be enough food floating around to keep them alive.

no problem. Yeah, these guys are way more forgiving than the Tridnaca clams that people buy.

btw, :welcome: to N-R. hopefully we can help you with any other questions that pop up!

i had some in my old tank... i think they're more like muscles than clams, but they arent photosynthetic... just good for cleaning the water.

BillsCountry

Awesome site. I have been reading for awhile and finally decided to set one up. I actually found another clam/ muscle on a rock.

Archived