ReefCleaners.org

rdahlke1105 JBJ Nano Cube 28 gallon LED Build

rdahlke1105

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looking good. I signed up for the ride!

Thanks. I need to make an order to John over at reefcleaners the hair algae is starting to become and issue. Though I'm hoping the 2 zebra turbos can get a handle on it.

Well I put in my order at reefcleaners. This is what it shows for my tank (well it was close at least)

28 Dwarf Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

12 Nassarius - scavengers that will eat leftover food and some fish waste. They will stir sand, but can also be kept in bare bottom tanks.

12 Florida Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on fine hair algae, diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

6 Large & 6 Small to Medium Nerites - We are currently offering the longer lived and quite hardy Antillean Nerite. (Nerita fulgurans). It grows to a nice size,and consumes a good deal of diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. It will also consume some fine hair algae. A nocturnal herbivore that will feed more often at night, they tend to need some time to adjust to the limitations of the aquarium during their first week.

Looks good! I made the mistake of getting crabs with my CUC. They're driving me and my coral/snails crazy.

I only have one tiny hermit who has a larger shell than my nass so I am hoping he leaves them alone.

I was also going to comment on the crab free CUC...I like it that way too, maybe a shrimp or two.

I picked up a cleaner this weekend. He is in there doing his business as we speak. LOL In fact when I did today's feeding the little guy attacked the turkey baster to get the food. LOL I was really pretty funny.

Looking good mate :) look forward to more pics of dobby..lol keep the updated rolling.

This is the only other one I have right at the moment.

101_0372.jpg

My cardinal died last night. I checked on the tank around midnight and everyone was fine then. I wake up this morning and the cardinal is stuck to the fish guard.

So this is causing everything in my brain to go in circles. He ate some mysis on Saturday, didn't eat yesterday. Water parameters were all zeros yesterday, don't know what they are today because I test at lunch. All the inverts are acting normal, which surprises me since I know they are more sensitive to water changes.

I know that the cardinals are slow swimmers and he did seem to have some issues with the flow, but he mostly stayed in the back corners or under the cave. I didn't see any indications of illness or injury. He was drip acclimated for 2 hours. There aren't any micro bubbles. So by all indications that should lead me back to parameters, but they were all zeros. I haven't gotten the reef API tests yet so those results I don't know. So the only thing I can think of was that this was stress related or he was sick when I got him.

I do have Chemi-pure and purigen in the back chambers. I had to take out the phosban because of flow. Do you know can you take out some of the Chemi-pure out of the bag that it comes in? I know one of them (Chemi-pure, phosban or purigen) you aren't suppose to, but I can't remember which one it is. If I can take out some of the Chemi-pure I would like to so I can put the phosban back in the media basket.

Ok now I'm really confused.

Temp: 79.7

Salinity: 1.025

PH: 8.0 (I had just turned the lights on)

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 5

Ok now I'm really confused.

Temp: 79.7

Salinity: 1.025

PH: 8.0 (I had just turned the lights on)

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 5

None of those parameters caused the death of your fish. I've heard rumors these guys like to up and die after a few days or weeks of looking fine and rumors they don't care too much for heavy flow; that level of nitrates is well below the level of concern for any fish I know of. Could've been acclimation related (not as an attack on your technique, mind you, some fish just don't do well after a move).

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/prod...cfm?pcatid=4177

Under 'more information' says the bags should never be divided.

None of those parameters caused the death of your fish. I've heard rumors these guys like to up and die after a few days or weeks of looking fine and rumors they don't care too much for heavy flow; that level of nitrates is well below the level of concern for any fish I know of. Could've been acclimation related (not as an attack on your technique, mind you, some fish just don't do well after a move).

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/prod...cfm?pcatid=4177

Under 'more information' says the bags should never be divided.

Yea I'm thinking it was either flow, stress, or he was just sick to begin with. I know the LFS that I got him from does quartine prior to them being put out on the floor for sale. I really don't know. I think we just have to chalk it up to one of those things you will never know about.

how much did the refractometer cost you? i am looking to buy one too.

This is where I got it.

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/i...p?cPath=251_623

I do have calibration fluid, though the instructions say that they are precalibrated. This is a Sybon refractometer.

New purchases are always good! Your tank thread is growing quickly hopefully your corals will follow along.

I want to get my main CUC in there and get some control over the fine hair algae I have in there before I start putting in corals. I did order the CUC from John over at reefcleaners on Sunday..it was shipped yesterday and should be here tomorrow. :)

Well I did do a little ordering today from Mr. Coral. These are the ones that I got for my very first corals...other than what my friend is giving me...man that just sounds so wrong. :)

BB561 New Morph

file_335_21.jpg

NN473 JAPANESE ZOAS

file_340_4.jpg

NN476 BLUE & PEACHES

file_340_7.jpg

NN475 ZOA LOVERS THIS ONE IS FOR U

file_340_6.jpg

Will be looking forward to watching those grow out in the tank.

Thanks, Brad. I was thinking we needed a little color...other than from the hair algae. :)

As promised, pictures of the snails.

Them doing the floating thing.

101_0388.jpg

Pile of snails.

101_0389.jpg

Color me jealous. Those are all awesome. Can't wait to see pics of them in the tank!

Thanks! Gotta love Mr. Coral's $10 section. :)

Archived