Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

rdahlke1105 JBJ Nano Cube 28 gallon LED Build

rdahlke1105

Well the items are starting to come in.

01/03/11 The sand got here.

101_0331.jpg

01/04/11 The Chemi-pure, Purigen and PhosBan got here. Still waiting on the tank to get here. Called the LFS to see if it came in...nope.

101_0332.jpg

What is suppose to be here on Friday:

The media basked from urbaneks and 20 lbs of base rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater. Hopefully the tank will be here before Friday.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I went home for lunch and got a phone call...my tank is in. Tonya at Aquarium in Old Town, Wichita called before the truck even left. So we will be driving down there (about a 1/2 hour drive) to pick my tank up.

Well its here.

101_0333.jpg

101_0334.jpg

This is where we are going to put it. We are going to be moving the coffee table downstairs.

101_0335.jpg

Yes that is my Italian Greyhound, Dobby. And the urn is my mother who passed away October 15, 2010.

This is what came today. :) This is the custom made media basket from urbaneks.

101_0336.jpg

Evidently they tried to deliver my rocks, but my dad wasn't home. I'm going to see if I can pick it up after work.

Very exciting times. Congrats on the tank arriving. Best of luck on the setup. Let us know if you have questions along the way.

Well right now I'm struggling putting together the stand. I went to flip it on the other side and all 6 wooden dowels broke. :( We are trying to figure something else out. Maybe wood screws......We figured it out....L brackets. :)

Well right now I'm struggling putting together the stand. I went to flip it on the other side and all 6 wooden dowels broke. :( We are trying to figure something else out. Maybe wood screws......We figured it out....L brackets. :)

Congrats on the tank! Sorry to hear about the cheap-o pegs, but fear not, as it happened to me as well. The good news is, putting together that stand was probably worse than anything we'll have to face in our tanks. Yes, I'd much rather battle aiptasia (and have!) than to battle the stand again. Glad to see you finally got it worked out. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Keep us updated!

Well its one step closer. Had a couple of issues getting it together, but its done. I decided I didn't want to mess with those stupid silver legs and the other shelf. But now I'm beat and I need to go shower, but its done.

101_0338.jpg

Look what came today. :)

101_0339.jpg

I am taking advice from someon on another board, I'm putting the rocks first so that they sit on the glass. This is what I have so far for the rock work. I'm not 100% that they are going to be staying this way yet. I need to look at it for a bit.

101_0348.jpg

Look what came today. :)

I am taking advice from someon on another board, I'm putting the rocks first so that they sit on the glass. This is what I have so far for the rock work. I'm not 100% that they are going to be staying this way yet. I need to look at it for a bit.

scape looks nice and that is the correct method. Rock first then sand. This make sure that the rocks are stable They could shift as the sand shifts in your tank otherwise.

No right or wrong way to go about the scape but... When I did my scape I started with a very thin layer of sand then rock, then I added the rest of my sand. It's been over a year now and my rock work is still standing! Great job on the stand. After reading your thread, makes me thankful mine came assembled from the LFS.

After 3 trips to Walmart for water we are now filled with salt being mixed as we speak.

I adjusted the scape a bit. This is what I ended up with. This configuration is extremely stable. Once the salt is mixed I'll be adding the sand and the live rock. I am just hoping that the salt is completely mixed by tomorrow around noon because there is bad weather on the way and I would really like to get my rock tomorrow.

Front view:

101_0350.jpg

Left side:

101_0351.jpg

Right side:

101_0352.jpg

Hope you end up having better luck with hitchhikers/critters from your rock than I have. Lots of little pests took a ride home with me. Keep the pictures coming, looks good!

really nice! I don't think you'll have any problems with the water. Just keep that water moving.

I have both of the pumps going at the same time. I also have the heater set at 78 degrees and the digital thermostat installed. I am leaving the media basket empty while the salt mixes. Yes I'm just mixing in the tank. I am occiasionally taking a turkey baseter to mix up the salt. I am going to try and pick up a powerhead at the LFS tomorrow if I go.

We have sand. Its still cloudy, but I figure it will clear. The salinity is sitting at 1.023.

Front:

101_0353.jpg

Right side:

101_0354.jpg

Left side:

101_0355.jpg

Depth of sandbed:

101_0356.jpg

Your sand bed kind of makes me wish I would have went the darker route. I wasn't sure if I'd like it or not. Maybe next time.

I had read that the LED version is REALLY bright so I figured the black sand would work better. Cause less glare since its in the living room. :)

Okay, I got the live rock, a powerhead, magfloat and the API master saltwater test kits. Here is the live rock. I put circles around them.

Front view:

101_0357.jpg

Left side:

101_0358.jpg

Right side:

101_0359.jpg

Ok, I just noticed something odd. My return on the right hand side of the tank periodically spits out a bunch of microbubbles. I'm trying to think of what would cause this.

Ok, I just noticed something odd. My return on the right hand side of the tank periodically spits out a bunch of microbubbles. I'm trying to think of what would cause this.

Add a bit more water. It happens with all AIO tanks.

Add a bit more water. It happens with all AIO tanks.

Yea I did notice that so I added some more, it has decreased, but I'm watching it to make sure that it stops.

yeah I had to add water to each of the two pump chambers initially so that they would have enough without creating the bubbles. The return chamber will spit different amounts of water to each chamber depending on the media fittings, dirtiness etc.

Archived