ReefCleaners.org

rdahlke1105 JBJ Nano Cube 28 gallon LED Build

rdahlke1105

You know its kind of a funny thing about this hobby. My dad who said that he wasn't going to do anything with this hobby is the one who picked out the piece of Tonga Branch rock. :lol:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know I just realized I never mentioned what is in the media rack. In the top is filter floss, second chamber has phosban and purigen, in the bottom chamber is chemi-pure. Heater is in the right return chamber.

What kind of live stock can the JBJ LED setup handle?

I've been told by people who have the LED version that it can handle just about everything even SPS and clams.

Well I tested at lunch. I'm still at all zeros.

Ammonia = 0

Nitrite = 0

Nitrate = 0

PH = 8.0

Salinity = 1.023

So on the recommendation of others on another board, I put in a table shrimp.

Nice initial start.

I recommend you to read through my thread as I too have the 28 Gallon LED NanoCube and was pretty detailed about it's setup, my trials and troubles with it, and what I have learned from the entire process. By no means am I an expert, but others have found it helpful from the feedback I've received.

I keep several different species of corals, and all are thriving with only a few issues (more likely due to my own inexperience than the tank).

Nice initial start.

I recommend you to read through my thread as I too have the 28 Gallon LED NanoCube and was pretty detailed about it's setup, my trials and troubles with it, and what I have learned from the entire process. By no means am I an expert, but others have found it helpful from the feedback I've received.

I keep several different species of corals, and all are thriving with only a few issues (more likely due to my own inexperience than the tank).

You know I think I have read yours. If I remember correctly (because its been awhile since I have read it) it was one of the reasons I finally decided on the LED version. :)

Okay, I took the shrimp out and tested. I guess my cycle just needed a kick in the pants to get going. :)

Temp: 78.1

Salinity: 1.024

PH: 7.9

Ammonia: .25

Nrite: 0

Nrate: 0

Well tested at lunch.

Temp: 78.2

Salinity: 1.025

PH: 8.2

Ammonia: .25

Nrite and Nrate: 0

I also took out the Chemi-pure, purigen and phosban out of the media basket. Just have filter floss in there now. Hoping this kicks the cycle off more. If tomorrow the ammonia doesn't go up, I'm going to put another shrimp in there to kick it in the tush more. I'm also only running the moonlights all of the others are off.

Well I think we can say that the cycle has officially started.

Temp: 78.5

Ammonia: 1.00

Nitrites: .25

Nitrates: 0

Needless to say I took the shrimp out. :)

Diatoms showed up today.

Test results.

Temp: 79.2

Ammonia: 1.0

Nitrite: .25

Nitrate: 5.0-10

I've also noticed some very tiny what I think are feather dusters on my live rock.

DSC00019.jpg

Diatoms are ugly. If you're thinking about wiping them, they will probably show right back up the next day. Stupid things fogging up the glass. =P

No I'm not going to do anything about the diatoms. Luckily I don't have them on the glass, just the rocks right now. I know that they will go away by themselves eventually. I figure I have time for them to go away. I will just continue to do research while I wait for the cycle to finish. :)

Okay, today's test results.

Ammonia: .50

Nitrite: between .25 and .50

Nitrate: 20

Today I also took care of the hydroids with loctite superglue gel. While I was doing that I noticed some pineapple sponges on the bottom of the rock. Those I just left alone. I also had to replace the digital thermometer because I accidently zapped it with static electricity.

Okay we might be closer now to the WC.

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: .10 (the color was actually between .25 and 0 so I guessed.)

Nitrate: 20

Ok here is today's test results...weird thing going on with the nitrates. Why would they go down on their own? I haven't done a WC yet.

Temp: 79.3

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 10

Man that chemi-pure really works. I am getting ready to mix the water for the water change that I will be doing tomorrow. Today's test results

Temp: 79.5

PH: 8.4

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: 0

Awesome. Keep us updated on how they're doing. Especially the cleaner. I need to update my tank thread with photos. CUC is fighting off algae at the moment, so it isn't very pretty. Good luck!

Awesome. Keep us updated on how they're doing. Especially the cleaner. I need to update my tank thread with photos. CUC is fighting off algae at the moment, so it isn't very pretty. Good luck!

Thanks! I got 2 zebra turbos they aren't doing much right at the moment, but then the lights are still on. I figure they will probably become more active after they go out.

Well I saw the cardinal eat a couple of pieces of the mysis. I suppose that is good for the first day in a new tank. Course as soon as I put the mysis in the water one of the nass came out and started looking...the other just poked his tube thing out..hasn't come out of the sand yet. The hermit and cleaner shrimp even got a piece or two.

Looking good! Really like the sand you picked, Ill be following along, I set my jbj 28 up in december and will be doing the conversion to led. When my tax money comes back :lol:

Looking good! Really like the sand you picked, Ill be following along, I set my jbj 28 up in december and will be doing the conversion to led. When my tax money comes back :lol:

Thanks. The LED version is really bright and I wanted the black sand to cut down on the glare since its in the living room.

Archived