Innovative Marine Aquariums

Andru24's Double Peninsula 20G AIO...

andru24

This is really cool, can't wait to see it get stocked up. What fish are you planning? Something like a sixline wrasse would be cool, he would def eat up any pods that came from the fuge to the display! I am planning a peninsula 40B soon, so I'll be watching yours for inspiration!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is really cool, can't wait to see it get stocked up. What fish are you planning? Something like a sixline wrasse would be cool, he would def eat up any pods that came from the fuge to the display! I am planning a peninsula 40B soon, so I'll be watching yours for inspiration!

My 3 year old will kill me if I don't put a "nemo" in here. Already had to deal with her anger when I told her that we couldn't put a Dory in. Would love to do a pair of picasso's.

So after looking at the Par30 led lights that Home Depot has I think I am going to get another Par30 from Boost LED for the refugium side. Should I go all white? or would another 3b 2w grow macros as well?

Tank is wet and my scape is set... pretty much. Decided to keep the scape pretty open to allow coral to fill in. Plan on putting a torch at the top. for a dramatic "flame" effect.

I also think I am going to get another Par30 for the refugium side. I am thinking of 3w/2b if possible...

DSC01527.jpgDSC01529.jpg

This tank set up really is awesome. I love the how the fuge is seperated from the display but can been seen at the same time. Can't wait to see how this grows out.

Thanks. All the rock/sand I have in the tank right now is old dead stuff that I had around. I am going to seed it with some rock from my 20L tomorrow.

Just ordered my fuge light... the all white Par30 from BoostLED. I had to get the same brand as my display light... I am OCD about that sort of thing, can't have my lights not matching.

I'd like to actually swap one of blue LEDs in my 3b2w bulb for one of the white from the new bulb. Anyone know if this is easy to do?

Awesome. Love the idea! Fuge gonna run at the same lighting schedule?

I don't know yet. I am torn. On one hand I've always read that the fuge should be on an opposite cycle, but on the other hand I think it will look cooler to have both sides lit.

I'll probably end up having them on alternate cycles.

You could set it up where the lighting cycles would "overlap' during the time you would most likely be viewing it.

BTW I am really liking this build. I have a 20L that I can't decide how to set up and I am seriously considering this idea for it.

This is such a rad idea! I actually really like how one side is blue and one is 'yellow'. I think it's like having two totally different tanks.

Great work.

You could set it up where the lighting cycles would "overlap' during the time you would most likely be viewing it.

BTW I am really liking this build. I have a 20L that I can't decide how to set up and I am seriously considering this idea for it.

Thanks.

That's not a bad idea. I might do that.

This would be dope on a 20L, I considered buying one for this but wanted to use mostly stuff I already had.

This is such a rad idea! I actually really like how one side is blue and one is 'yellow'. I think it's like having two totally different tanks.

Great work.

The yellow is just from an incandescent bulb. I have an all white Par30 on the way and I think that will look pretty good as well.

Of course it won't look great until I can get some stuff in it.

I would love to do this on a 33 long. One day maybe! But yes, this tank is defintely inspiring!

I agree it would look amazing both lit at the same time if you can live with the pH swings. I think reverse would be better but you might have alot of light spill over too. Plus you wouldn't be able to watch it all day :(

I love this. One question though. From the fuge side won't you lose valuable pods with the water going through the filter floss back into the return chamber?

I love this. One question though. From the fuge side won't you lose valuable pods with the water going through the filter floss back into the return chamber?

That's a good point that I hadn't thought of, but I think I am less concerned about pod manufacturing than the other refugium benefits. I suppose i could divert some of the flow around the floss... I'll have to think about that some more.

Received my 2nd Par30 from BoostLED for the refugium side. Looks pretty good. The all white is a very crisp white. I got 40 degree lenses since it is such a small area.

DSC01531.jpg

You can really see the difference between the 3b/2w Par30 and the all white. I think I may eventually decide to switch one of the blues over to the refugium side so that I have a 2b/3w and a 1b/4w. I'll wait to see what corals look like though first.

Very cool and very original, cant wait to see with corals.

Thanks. The hard part is the waiting right now before starting to populate it.

Very cool idea. When I upgrade I might have to do that.

Thanks. I'd love to see this idea on a larger tank.... something that allowed a large refugium side.

At this point I don't think I would change the lighting one bit. Looks amazing, and when the fuge side starts to get something in it I believe it will be perfect.

At this point I don't think I would change the lighting one bit. Looks amazing, and when the fuge side starts to get something in it I believe it will be perfect.

Yeah. I am not going to change anything with the lights until I have seen how they look with coral & fish & macros.

The new light looks awesome. What are you planning to put in the fuge side? I think mangroves would look pretty sweet.

Definitely will have a mangrove or two. Then I want to find maybe 2 or 3 really cool types of macros. Suggestions?

So I had planned on making a top for the chambered area, I figured while I am at it I might as well incorporate something to hide the cords dangling over the edge...

Start

DSC01548.jpg

Further along...

DSC01554.jpg

Test fit...

DSC01555.jpg

Chambers now hidden with convenient top...DSC01559.jpg

The completed product...

DSC01562.jpgDSC01564.jpg

I am pretty happy with the results... now wish the tank would finish its cycle.

Archived