Top Shelf Aquatics

Feeding Crocea Clam

syaeger

I recently purchased a Crocea Clam. He measures approx. 2.5 inches. I've been target feeding him phytoplankten every other day (1/4 TSP of Kent ChromaPlex). I also add Seachem Reef Plus weekly to my 20 Gal Nano-Reef tank. Is this a sufficient amount to feed it? Is ChromaPlex a good suppliment to feed it? I would appreciate any other suggestions on feeding or other recommended suppliments?

for the best info, I can only suggest daniel knop's book "giant clams"... cheap, easy to understand and extremely informative while coming from a true expert...

ok enough of the praise... the plankton feedings are good, the tridacnid clams aren't able to process solid food anyway, they'll just "cough" it up if ingested. just watch it and your waterparams very carefully for any tell tale signs (not reacting to light/shadow, etc...) which may be signs of weaknesses. if necessary, some sources suggest taking the clam out and placing in in a bowl during feeding, though personally I am not partial to this method (have 2 baby squamosas myself...)

hth

The target feeding, along with the nutrition it gets from the imbedded zooxanthellae algae should be sufficient. You could probably cut back on feeding it to 2x per week, though.

• 2 weeks later...
MrConclusion

I thought I was the only one who HATED the idea of putting a clam in a bowl of algae soup. Can you imagine anything more stressful? I don't think you even need to worry about the "target" feeding, these guys sift the water all the time and whatever you squirt into them usually just passes through or makes them spit it out. I just pour DT's into the tank and that's been working for more than a year.

I have a 3" Crocea in a 11 gallon under 150 watt 10K HQI, and he gets DT's just about every week, and he's fine. Growing, burrowing, highly reactive to stimuli.

I have two maximas under 3" in size and I use to take them out to bowl feed but that became too much of a hassle. So I just dump a teaspoon of DT's once a week 2 days before my weekly water change.

I use DT's because they have "phytoplankton in a variety of cell sizes, that provide nutrition to a larger population of reef inhabitants." - http://www.dtplankton.com/frameset1.htm

Adding DT's direclty also feeds other critters in the tank

MrConclusion - how long have you had him? I'm doing almost the exact same thing with mine 25 gallon system (15 gallon display) 150 watt light, capfull of DTs about every day. He's growing very well and seems happy after a couple months.

I got this neat little pipette from a friend. Its plastic and is like a long, skinny, miniature turkey baster. I sometimes turn off all my pumps and squirt DT's in the vicinity of my clams so they can sit there and soak it up for awhile. Then turn the pumps on and let them get the rest later.

Archived