• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• paneubert

• Gort

• 24nanoguy

• iball1804

So.....this little guy has black circles on him.

When I saw the black on 2 out of the 3 GSM's they got in their shipment, I was saying "holey moley...is this some cool variant or cross?" All three Maroons were the same size and I assume the same overall broodstock. So why do only 2 of them have the circles?

But then I figured that it was simply a stage in the development and nothing special. Who knows. This guy literally has a dark black circle on his tail and "hand" fins.

Female took to him right away.....he does the shimmy and shake for her. I think I might have smooth sailing... fingerscrossed

Horrible phone photo.

2011-12-30190842.jpg

Video showing my pansy-butt female staring at the new addition, probably not knowing what to do.

th_video-2011-12-30-19-07-08.jpg

Edited by paneubert

Yes and no. I am still waiting on my permanent sump return "J-Tube". So I only run my sump for a couple hours per day since I just have the return taped to the rim of my tank. The skimmer is set to skim really wet right now, and it does pull out some light tea colored stuff. But that is only based on skimming tank water for a couple hours per day and then skimming the sump water over and over for the rest of the day/night.

I will have some good skimmer feedback once I can run the sump constantly for about 24 hours.

Had a scare for a while....

Wife could not find the little clown. She looked everywhere....nooks and crannies with a flashlight, overflow, sump, all over. She found all my other fish over and over. Found the female clown a million times. But no male. Then after we both stared at the tank from different sides for like 10 minutes, he came swimming out from where the female sleeps like he had just woken up from a nap. So weird.....that is where we had been looking the hardest since that is where the female hangs out. That guy needs to grow faster so he can't hide so well... :ninja:

JBJ ATO is installed on the sump now (even though I still don't have my permanent return tubing installed yet ;) ).

I hacked the system by flipping the float upside down on channel 2 so that the magnet trips the opposite direction that it would normally trip.

That means I can have float number 1 fall to trigger the ATO flow, and rise to cut the flow. That part is normal and as designed. The hacked part is that float number 2 will cut the flow as soon as it floats instead of when it falls. It is just a redundancy in case float one get stuck in the down position.

I think it is lame that JBJ designs their programming where you don't have the option to have a backup to your standard "fall to activate pump, raise to cut the flow". You have to hack things to make any sort of fail-safe. I would rather burn out my pump than flood my floor.....

Edited by paneubert
  • 2 weeks later...

My wife who just happens to be home sick just calls me and says...

Wife: I turned off all the power to your tank.

Me: Why?

Wife: Because there was water shooting out of your stand.

Me: Awesome.......where was the water coming from?

Wife: I don't know. Some tube was shooting it all over. I turned off the power and it stopped.

So now I am sitting at work for another 5 hours wondering what the hell happened. Did my overflow/drain tube somehow magically come out of the sump? Did my return pump somehow come unfastened from the ball valve in the stand? Did my return Loc-Line magically lift off the rim of the tank and fall behind my stand? Did it come loose from the barbed fitting? Whoooooooooo knows. And who knows what it will mean for my floors or how many gallons went on the floor.

Plus the tank will have no heat or flow till I get home. Ohh well.

Yeah......I hope the floors are ok. There is not much I can do other than mop up what I can get to. The stand is sitting on a sheet of plexi-glass that is then sitting on the laminate floor. So any water that is between the plexi-glass and the floor is going to be there forever taunting me. There is about a 2 inch margin on each side of the stand where the plexi is. So it is going to taunt me forever.

OMG that anxiety would kill me....if it makes you feel any better when I first got my Reef angel set up. Well I was checking my stats online and saw that my float switch in the overflow trigger the return pump to turn off, so I reset it and turned it back on. checked back a couple hours later, it was off again and my PH was reading 2.47 I was expecting to come home to a crashed tank. But I hadnt mounted the ph probe yet and air came through the overflow and pushed it up hitting the float switch which left the ph probe out of the water and the float switch triggered...meh lol

That is my life every weekday. I work in downtown Seattle. There is no way I am going to pay to park here. There is also no way I will deal with the hassle of rush hour traffic.

So I deal with an hour bus ride twice a day ;)

Edited by paneubert

So.....I think someone is sabotaging my tank. Turns out that one of my Mag 7's in my return chamber somehow had it's fitting/return tubing come off. The Mag pump then turned into a geyser and sprayed 700 GPH into my stand. I still have little drops of water hanging all over the bottom of my tank. They look like little stalactites hanging from the tank bottom. I have NO freaking clue how it happened. The fitting is on there tight, and the pump does not get moved around at all. It is almost a complete freak accident with no explanation I can come up with. I am going to have to keep an eye on it to make sure it does not happen again. I assume if it is going to come loose again, it would be a gradual process and not all at once.

I also have water trapped between my floor and the plexi sheet under the stand. I can't get under there.....not even with a folded paper towel. So it looks like we will be testing the durability of my laminate flooring. Might be fun when we sell the condo....

But all is ok. Apparently my corals enjoy not being heated and having no flow. They all were open thinking I was going to feed them. ;)

The thing that took me the most effort was mopping up the remaining water and then making some emergency replacement water to get the tank back up and running. I did not have any RO/DI, so I have been sitting here waiting for my system to make some for me.

Edited by paneubert

Someone decided that they wanted to live in my overflow tube......glad he did not have enough size to mess with my flow rates or mess with the siphon.

I waited till he crawled to one of the more accessible parts of the tube and then poked him with a stick until he fell out. Bastard made me have to break and restart the siphon in order to get him out of there. But he did clear out a lot of algae that was growing in there ;) Hahahaha. Maybe I should have left him in there. :o

2012-01-15205827.jpg

2012-01-15205838.jpg

Yeah. I have the worst luck with those snails. I add a bunch from Reefcleaners, they slowly dissapear, then whenever I take the time to clean my stand, I find about 20 inside/behind my stand. Hahahaha. At least this one deiced to stay in the tank.....sort of.

I am surprised he made it that far. It means he climbed into the overflow box, down to the bottom, into the tube, and back up. I wonder if he would have kept going and then ended up in mu sump. I actually think he could have clogged my drain tube if he got that far. It is a 1 inch braided nylon, but I have a half inch rigid RO/DI tubing in there to kill the gurgle. I don't think the snail could have fit in there with the RO tubing at the same time. Yikes!

• 6 years later...

So...... 6 years later.  Haha.  At some point I took down my tank.  Based on the last post date, it might have been finding out my wife was pregnant.  2 kids later and I am back.  Surprisingly due to my wife telling me I should start a saltwater tank again.  So I need to go pull out all my supplies from storage to see what I kept and what I gave away.  I know I have my T-5 light fixture, and I have a turtle in my 40G tank.  I assume I still have my skimmer and overflow in storage.  Who knows what else...  Well I do know I have been hauling around about 50 pounds of dry rock that I never used.  So I have the basics...

Help me out folks.  What big things have changed since 2012?  Seemed the big new trends back then were bio-reactors, vodka dosing, umm.......lightning bolt clowns.....

Sure there are some changes (I'm thinking LEDs), but it's basically the same.  I don't feel that carbon dosing is all that popular today (although it's not so much on the fringe either).  I see macroalgae being more popular than it used to be.  Also, dry rock is very popular; but I feel that we are missing out by not using some live rock.

:welcome: back.

On 8/5/2018 at 3:20 AM, seabass said:

Sure there are some changes (I'm thinking LEDs), but it's basically the same.  I don't feel that carbon dosing is all that popular today (although it's not so much on the fringe either).  I see macroalgae being more popular than it used to be.  Also, dry rock is very popular; but I feel that we are missing out by not using some live rock.

:welcome: back.

I have noticed a massive reduction in the availability of live rock online compared to what it was 6-10 years ago.  Have a lot of the South Pacific nations (Fiji, Tonga, etc...) stopped selling their rock?  The aquaculture companies leasing space around those same nations that used to seed their own dry rock and then sell it go out of business?  Most of the same suppliers who used to carry multiple types of live now seem to only sell dry rock......

I used to get all sorts of cool and amazing creatures from my wild live rock.  😞

There are definitely more restrictions today.  I wish we had the same options that we used to.  Live rock is probably the most underappreciated element of reef keeping.