Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

placing clam on sandbed?

wamb0010

How are you supposed to place them on the sandbed? I wanted to get a 2 inch crocea but im not sure what size or how to secure it to a rock on the sandbed?

just place it on a rock to begin with, it should attach to that rock within a couple days. Then, take that small rock and place it on the sandbed or even bury it underneath so the rock cant be seen. This will work, but croceas are rock boring clams and prefer to be higher in the tank, and on large secure rocks where they can secrete their chemicals that they use to bore into the rock a little deeper IME.

I see a lot of people with Clams on the sandbed but are these then Maximas? I just read that crocea get to a max size of 5 inches vs. a maxima of 12 inches

best thing, place it ontop of a clam shell, it will attch to that in the sand. so that if u have to move it you can, and will still have the sand around it

placing it in the sand also depends on your lighting, if your lighting is strong enough it will do fine in the sand

best thing, place it ontop of a clam shell, it will attch to that in the sand. so that if u have to move it you can, and will still have the sand around it

placing it in the sand also depends on your lighting, if your lighting is strong enough it will do fine in the sand

Even if crocea? fine for sand?

Sorry didn't see the last part - I have the nanocube LED so i'm assuming my light is strong enough.

Ya, it depends more on ur lighting, tank depth, etc. Many clams will do well in many areas, that is from personal experience. Too many times we think about where we would like to see things in our tank as opposed to where in the tank will be the best for the critter in question.

Yes, and they often do even when placed on the substrate. They hunker down until they hit bottom and attach, at least rock-dwellers such as T. crocea and T. maxma do this.

I'd be really careful to avoid "sandstorms" when keeping a crocea on the substrate. They have a super fine gill structure and it can become clogged if there is too much cr@p in the water. The clam halfshell is a great way to get them to attach to something that can be moved around. You can also use a small, flat piece of LR. A "slice" of PVC also makes a good clam "stand".

I realize lots of folks keep normally rock-dwelling clams (crocea and maxima) on the substrate, but they aren't found this way in nature. Larger species such as T. derasa, T. squamosa, T. gigas, and H. hippopus don't really attach themselves, but rely on their sheer size and weight to keep them in place on the substrate.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a 2 inch maxima clam off DD. I am going to place on sandbed. I don't ahve a clam shell so about how big of a rock should I put it in?

CoolNameGoesHere

put it on as big a rock as you want. but i'd try to keep the rock relatively small so if you want to move it later it's not a big hassle.

i used a relatively flat piece of LR rubble (approx 2"x3" and about 1" thick; if you don't have a flat piece, use a chisel or screwdriver and make one yourself) and buried it a inch or so beneath the surface of my sand bed, then using the sand to prop the clam up, placed the clam in the sand directly over the rock. after a couple days it fastened itself to the rock and then i could move it wherever i wanted to and it would have a steady base. unless your rock has a good cradle, you'll need the sand to keep the clam steady and in place until it attaches; otherwise it may tip over or move for whatever reason.

if you just place it in the sand w/o something underneath it, if it doesn't move somewhere else first, it'll likely fasten itself to the bottom of your tank and then good luck trying to move it later.

• 3 weeks later...
T. Crocea is a ROCK BORING CLAM.....this should be VERY self explainatory

yeah guess I was just looking for a little more..... Plus, my crocea I bought hasn't attached itself to the rock I put it on yet either.

yeah guess I was just looking for a little more..... Plus, my crocea I bought hasn't attached itself to the rock I put it on yet either.

then he's not happy where you've placed him b/c of water movement, light, etc

keep trying....

i had a crocea in my tank for over a year and it always sat and thrived on the sand bed

that's like playing a game of russian roulette....if sand gets into his vent and he's not able to get it out one of these days you're going to kill it

ROCK BORING clams belong.....ummmm......on rocks

have no idea why people think they know better than nature....it baffles me sometimes

• 1 month later...
CoralWhisperer
have no idea why people think they know better than nature....it baffles me sometimes

Hope you dont mind, Im gonna add this to my signature

Archived