Cultivated Reef

MedRed's 60 Gal Solana XL: The End of an Era

MedRed

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This isn't funny dude.

Who are you telling! I had some issues with fed ex delivering the goods. My blood pressure was beginning to rise for sure. These guys look amazing! I don't think i'll ever be able to take a picture that will do them justice. They are currently in the process of acclimating.

DD packed these suckers better than average that's for sure. I think they were in 8 bags total with a HUGE volume of water. The box weighed 38 lbs... that's a lot heavier than any other DD order I've had. Here's a pic of the bags with a WSJ for size reference.

2i0vs43.jpg

These pictures are under incandescent lighting with the camera on easy mode and no post photography (I don't know how). It just doesn't do them any justice... I'm going to have to get a DSLR just to take pictures worthy of them! For some reason they adopted this weird headstand pose right off the bat. They were completely motionless except for moving their eyes every now and then. I wonder if they use their stripes and this posture to confuse predators as to where they end and begin and/or to appear larger.

2isiezo.jpg

9s83g5.jpg

13yp5xs.jpg

Thanks jeffro! I need a better camera... the pink on them is really bright... hell so is the orange. These will high def my tank right on up. I wonder if their colors will react to my lunar lights.

thanks bonese!

Thanks jeffro! I need a better camera... the pink on them is really bright... hell so is the orange. These will high def my tank right on up. I wonder if their colors will react to my lunar lights.

thanks bonese!

HD #####es

Hey medred, quick question about the solana setup.. Do you know anyone that has added a refugium to the tank? If so, how was this set up?

I am thinking of buying a CPR AquaFuse2 Hangon and I want to hang it on the sump. Your cabinet picture appears to have enough room to fit the aquafuse2. Do you think it will work?

The cpr refugium: http://www.marinedepot.com/CPR_AquaFuge_2_...-CR1721-vi.html

you must be, like, rich or somthin.

but they're gorgeous!

Thanks Squared!

HD #####es

Lol that is the truth. I held them up to the tank just to see what they'd look like... HOLY COW. I can't wait to get some in tank shots

Hey medred, quick question about the solana setup.. Do you know anyone that has added a refugium to the tank? If so, how was this set up?

I am thinking of buying a CPR AquaFuse2 Hangon and I want to hang it on the sump. Your cabinet picture appears to have enough room to fit the aquafuse2. Do you think it will work?

The cpr refugium: http://www.marinedepot.com/CPR_AquaFuge_2_...-CR1721-vi.html

I don't think I've seen a refugium on the 60 XL. I haven't seen may 60 XL's at all. Depending on the size of your skimmer and the length of the sump, it'd totally work. You could also upgrade the sump and do an in sump refugium.

Glad they made it safe man!

Thanks so much for sharing initial photos! That top down shot is unreal. These HAVE to be the most beautiful pair of fish I've seen.

Fantastic on DD's part for packing them so well...that's really good to see.

Can't wait for more photos!

These aren't getting QT'ed at they?

I feel like I'd want them straight into the main setup for stability reasons!

Oh snap!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o You bought them?!?! Thats so awesome i cant wait to see pics of them swimming around in your tank.

Me too! I held them up under the LED's and holy cow... they just POP all over. I have to wait out the QT... then... SEX and Candy!

They look great Med!

Thanks animalmaster!

pics?

They are hiding out in the QT at the moment.

Beautiful fish M. Tell me you have a top on that tank to keep them from surfing.

lol. I have a glass top.

Archived