Pod Your Reef

Pomakantha Arena

n0rk

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol:

Screw it, man. 6 months ago if you'd have told me I'd have a Starphire tank with a Bubble King, closed loops, a Powermodule and full of Angels I woulda pissed myself laughing and then cried. I guess waiting is q good thing in this hobby? :)

:lol:

That it is.

You have a PM By the way :happy:

I'll have to check it in a day or two mate, I'll be preoccupied with getting ready for the hospital and recovery the next few days :)

Holy barbecue sauce! Bubble King? How much? That's a sweet skimmer!

Put it this way... the ATB wasn't going to be cheap... and this is more than twice the price of that. So... Powermodule territory. ;)

The same. The biggest killer is import duties and shipping. To buy wholesale they work out around $1,5k, but to actually import they nearly double in price. It's a bit ridiculous to be honest.

I'll have to check it in a day or two mate, I'll be preoccupied with getting ready for the hospital and recovery the next few days :)

Thanks Ben!

Get to it when you can :)

Good Luck on the surgery.

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly. I've put this back on the sideline while I acquire gear and get better. Got my skimmer and some pumps coming shortly, but with everything else I don't see I'll get it done for at least another 6 months 'til it's got stock and stuff in. I'm in no rush. In the meantime I'm setting up a ZEO NPS tank to keep me occupied while I get everything else done. I just need a tank I can look after, the pico I don't touch because I don't need to...

Sigh. This tank has been put back on the sideline as much as I hate it, at least temporarily anyway. It will happen under some guise (general premise anyway, stocking-wise, and with the same gear choices) sometime or another, but right now there's just too much going on so I've directed my attention to the buzzword bonanza instead for now. Financially it's the only real option I've been left with, given that it came down to this or bankrupting myself. Let's just say that with ongoing health issues and the possibility of moving 20,000 miles away in about 6 months time I'm not really wanting to spend tens of thousands of dollars for something I'll get maybe 2 months use out of at the most...

THAT SAID, if I do end up moving this will be the plan I go ahead with (likely) more or less except probably bigger, or if I end up staying, the buzzword bonanza will be a stepping-stone towards it using the crux of the gear I was going to use anyway. I've basically speced all the gear so it's future-proofed for that situation... skimmer is more than big enough to tackle the new tank, lights are the perfect size, new sump will be ideally designed to maximise under-tank space, and every other bit I get will be based on that future-proofing sensibility. I'll also be getting corals specifically for this outcome. Gotta hedge some bets eh?

So long for now, Pomakantha Arena. I'll see you soon... better than ever.

animalmaster6

Meanwhile just keep planning this thing, making it better and better.

Looking forward to seeing the Buzzword Bonanza back in action. What will happen once this gets set up?

Where are you thinking of moving by the way?

San Francisco :) need to find the reefing scene out there, work out where to get stuff like custom tanks and stuff... if I move the other tank will be pulled down, if I don't, it'll still be pulled down and amalgamated into this tank... I've planned that part quite effectively...

animalmaster6

Very cool,

Have you thought about any gobies for your current tank or this tank? I think a Magnificent Shrimp Goby and pistol pair would look awesome in here.

Hard to get and major expensive. Nobody wants them either so I couldn't sell it if I go :( sadly I need to stick to more common species. Right now a Smokey Lemonpeel, an off-colour Flame, a Multibar pair, or a Potters are on the list.

fishez4alivin

LOL San Francisco? My charter boat is across the street "bay bridge" from there....You move here, you will for sure get hooked up.You can get your spawning pair of peppermints then too....

Mmmm, it's nice to know people B) you got any idea what kinda dollars I'd be looking at for a 78x40x20" Starphire tank from like AGE or someone? Size seems like a good start...

fishez4alivin

Great minds think alike, I actually have a quote for a 80"x36"x22" 3 sided starphire with 1" PVC bottom and 3/4" front and sides. External Acrylic overflow....40"x6"x12" overflow box with routed 1 1/2" drains. drumroll.........$5922.00 plus $175 for black vinyl background.....350-400 for shipping, and 200.00 crate charge, btw, I was also quoted for a 20'x20"x12" 3 sided starphire frag tank for 682.00. 40" tall steel stand for the big tank was 1400 and 150 for a wood bottom that would be weather proofed. the shipping would be more if I got the stand and frag tank of course. So for around 9.5K you can have a pretty sweet tank

• 5 months later...

Haha, thanks for that buddy. I've got the cash sitting waiting in my bank, waiting for two quotes back then I'll pick the best one and GO TO WORK. The joys of clients who actually pay eh?

Needreefunds

What, this again?? :rant:

This better not be another tease buddy, or so help me... :slap:

Oh, awrite- you know I'm playin', and you know I must follow along while you build (one of ) your dream system(s).

Carry on mate, good on ya.

...man that sounds cheesy. :P

Go Ben, Go! :)

This better not be another tease buddy, or so help me... :slap:

Oh, awrite- you know I'm playin',

I'm not playing. I can't take these ups and downs! Can't wait to see it Ben.

Haha, you think YOU can't take the ups and downs? Trust me, getting excited to have a good tank and buying all the gear for it then finding out it's not possible then having it become possible but no budget then having budget but no space but then having space and somewhat of a budget... it's a hell of a rollercoaster, man. I lost out on a lot of cash from work last year which made me want to quit reefing altogether because it wasn't financially viable, but now it is again so I'm happy.

I do miss my BK though...

• 2 weeks later...

Got quotes back for the tank, just waiting to send the plans to tender :scarry: decided I'm not going to do Starphire this time 'round (next tank, when it's bigger... :naughtydance:), the extra cost is obscene unfortunately and I can't justify it for the small improvement.

Selling off my Powermodule by mandate... it breaks my heart but I've been given the ultimatum of either getting rid of it or having no tank. So, back to LEDs for me. It's not so bad, the units I've chosen are one of the more promising ones because I can't be bothered DIYing, and well... I can't afford an Illumina :( oh well.

Sourcing the stock for this tank now too. The stuff I'm getting will need rather long QT periods (I'm aiming for at least 3 months, but 6 or more isn't outside of the realms of possibility) so the tank will be left to cycle for an extended period in the dark. No skimmer, no sump, no nothin' - just some pumps, some rock, and some water. I feel for this specific system this will only be of benefit.

All in all, it's making progress. I guess we'll see shortly enough how it pans out eh? wooooo

Archived