Innovative Marine Aquariums

BC's 40

B.C.

This is the sump design i went with,post #5 first one.The only thing i did different was that i drilled holes in the last divider(drain/skimmer area to fuge) instead of having two peices to create the flow thru.

I leak tested the sump and it works well.I need to reinforce the last divider a bit more,the one that seperates the fuge from the return area.The acrylic i used is a little thin,but its not a problem for the other dividers.Its the last one that has the most pressure.I knew this but i didnt beef it up enough,so a little more reinforcing will do. B)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks good. Can't wait to see pictures of it set up.

I think the holes idea is probably a good way to do it. In the original design it allowed for a sponge, but I would have been afraid that having the sponge up so high if the water level ever dropped below that for some reason then it would be noisy due to the water falling off in droplets from the sponge.

Thanks Aj,

The holes i was actually referring to that i drilled are the from the drain to the fuge area,I think you are referring to the fuge to return area.What i did there was the same,only that its more of just a shelf and the eggcrate is removable.This is just in case i need to run mechanical filtration,carbon or other.

I got my 3/4 inch gate valve for the return local and am waiting on my 1 inch to arrive.

Heres some pics of the sump.

You can see where i had to cut out the original middle dividers and grind them down some.

This is an extra wetdry i had that i modded.The baffles are cut 1/4 inch diferrence in height and spaced 1/2 inch apart each.

BTW thats my tile work as well :D .

post-53952-1286632024_thumb.jpg

post-53952-1286632615_thumb.jpg

I got my last gate valve in the Mail. :)

Hopefully the tank should be up and running by next weekend.I paid $15 shipped for a 1 inch schedule 80 valve.

Pics to come.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to do a leak test and see how everything worked.

Water level in the tank was a bit high for my liking,I had to widen and make the grooves a little deeper on the overflow.Ended up using a grinder on the overflow and it worked great.Light is ordered,went with a FNI T5 HO 4 bulb to start.Eventually i will replace the bulbs and use my Icecap 660 and 430 ballast and also run aprox.15-18 leds down the middle for shimmer effect and moonlights like the Finnex light.

Heres some pics of the test run.

post-53952-1288041830_thumb.jpg

post-53952-1288041851_thumb.jpg

very nice build so far! great job on everything! what do u plan on keeping in this tank? a mixed reef? im just saying cause if your gonna go sps, your gonna need more than 4 bulb t-5. but you could also add a two bulb retro kit to that down the road. awesome to see all these 40b's poppin up all over!! good luck!

Jerzsky,

Thanks for the kind words.

It will eventually be a mixed reef.For the lighting they will be overdriven to 60 watts each -V-HO T5X4 plus l.e.d.s ,down the road.I thought this would be sufficient for a 16" tall tank mixed reef.No? :huh:

If not then 2 more it will be,i'll see how it goes. :)

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Ive been a little busy but figured its time for an update.

I ended up ordering the FNI 4x 39 watt t5 fixture.Took a week to get to my door step(Cali to Florida)not too bad i guess.The unit came well packaged and in great shape,i popped the legs on placed it on the tank and plugged it in.The only thing i did to it was swapped around a few wires for the bulbs so that one ballast would power both actinics and the other the 14000k bulbs.I have to say for a buck40.00 i am very happy with it.Im going to stick with the stock bulbs for now to see how they perform on a couple of frags(This is just a test),then i'll take it from there.

It also took me a little time to get my external mounted return pump hooked up.Space is a little tight in the cabinet and took a little tweaking to get it plumbed.I also needed to replace the bulkhead for the sump.It became brittle cracked and started leaking.Good thing i tested it before i filled the tank. ;) .

Im going to try and get some pics up later.

Ive been a little busy but figured its time for an update.

I ended up ordering the FNI 4x 39 watt t5 fixture.Took a week to get to my door step(Cali to Florida)not too bad i guess.The unit came well packaged and in great shape,i popped the legs on placed it on the tank and plugged it in.The only thing i did to it was swapped around a few wires for the bulbs so that one ballast would power both actinics and the other the 14000k bulbs.I have to say for a buck40.00 i am very happy with it.Im going to stick with the stock bulbs for now to see how they perform on a couple of frags(This is just a test),then i'll take it from there.

It also took me a little time to get my external mounted return pump hooked up.Space is a little tight in the cabinet and took a little tweaking to get it plumbed.I also needed to replace the bulkhead for the sump.It became brittle cracked and started leaking.Good thing i tested it before i filled the tank. ;) .

Im going to try and get some pics up later.

I'm thinking of going with the same light. Could you post some pics and details on which wires you switched?

I got home a little later than expected,sorry no pics tonight.

Drew220,

what i basically did was power on one ballast to see which lights it powered then swapped the end plugs accordingly so that one ballast powers the actinics and the other the 14000k bulbs.The wires are long enough to be swapped.If i remember correct it was the two middle bulbs that were switched.

The only gripe i have with the fixture is the two external ballasts are pretty big,the power cords could have been a little longer and out the back instead of the side and to have some way to mount the ballasts.

Here are some pics i found on another forum.

Hope this helps.

Update.

Tanks been up and running since Tues.

I just finished some of the scape,its not done yet but here are some pics.

Hope you likey.

ooh sorry for the cloudy water i just finished playing in there.

Ill put some more pics up when im totally satisfied.if that ever is. :D

The last one is from my Halloween party.I turned the tank into a display.Just thought id throw it in there.

post-53952-1290287090_thumb.jpg

post-53952-1290287109_thumb.jpg

post-53952-1290287127_thumb.jpg

post-53952-1290287145_thumb.jpg

post-53952-1290287159_thumb.jpg

post-53952-1290287170_thumb.jpg

post-53952-1290287184_thumb.jpg

Tank is comming along nicely. just got my glass holes kit in today to drill my overflow so I am right on your tail. Finished my stand last week all but the doors.

Lookin good B.C.

Seems like there is a bunch of us that jumped at the 40b during the sale and have taken 5 months to build them!

Thanks everyone.

This is the first tank that i had to drill make the overflow and put baffles in the sump.

Took me longer than i expected. :huh::D

• 2 weeks later...

Update..

I got my 2 packages from UPS yesterday :D

While i was visiting in N.Y.,

I ordered my cleanup crew from reefcleaners and some chaeto and red mangroves for the sump.Shipping was super fast.

Thanks to John.

Everything seems to be doing good so far.

I also purchased 2 Koralias evo 750's for the tank.

Thanks to Poodges.Unfortunately he had to take his tank down and i was able to pick them up.Flow in the tank is great.I have the return,2 K-evos and a powersweep,not sure what size but it works great.

Cleanup crew is at work now,ill post some pics when its looking better.

oh and i also added and rearranged the rockscape.Im luvin it B) .

NoChikenStrips

Your stand looks amazing! I wish i have your carpentry skills. It's so exciting following build threads. Everything looks really good.

Thanks!!

It took me a while to build it.

I am happy with the way it came out,although it could of been a little bigger for a larger sump.ooh well maybe next time. :D

Thanks Tundrashaul!!

I added 2 large pieces of live rock to the tank since that shot.Its changed up a little not much,but im liking it even more now.I made a shelf and a cave below on the right side and filled in the left side a little.My cuc is still busy at work.ill post a pic as soon as its a little cleaner.

Now i need to get rid of my 210 gallon.

Anyone in Florida looking for one??

Archived