Pod Your Reef

BC's 40

B.C.

So that they don't become blocked so easily you might try making the teeth the width of 2 saw blades... Or if you've already cut them you could knock out every other tooth to make them 3 saw blade witdths. I just say that 'cause a saw blade isn't very thick and a chunk of hair algae could potentially take out a bunch of them...

Or, is there any reason you're choosing to use teeth? I was going to use teeth, but it was a pain to decide how wide, and how deep, etc... Glass holes.com I believe cuts their teeth 1" and the water flows between 1/2" and 3/4" above that. But their teeth are spaced further. So I've decided that my overflow will be toothless, and I will attach some gutter guard to it which will prevent any entry and I think it's safe to say that the water level will sit between 1/4" and 1/2" above a toothless overflow.

Either way, good luck and post some pictures of your experimenting.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason for the teeth is that i like making a lid for the overflow box.This way not critters or fish get trapped in it ,no algae growth in the box and it make it quiet.I have this setup on my larger tank and works well.I got the idea when i had a outbreak of hair algae and it was growing in the box as well.Putting a lid on it keeps the light out and no growth in the box.

The teeth on the larger tank are about the same width as the ones i cut.

I might go 2 wide on the cut of the saw blade.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
yes, buy gate valves online! and not at brs. i got my 1" for barely over $10 shipped.

Thats what im going to do if i cant find them local for cheap. :D

Sorry for tha late reply.Been busy with lifes other projects and trying to get this done.

Overflow box is painted and siliconed in place.The teeth arent perfect but i can live with it.This was my first time making one of these.The stand is almost done just need to make a door,hinge it and paint the stand.Will post some pix as soon as i get a chance, its been a long day and im beat.

Pictures! I'm interested in how your overflow and your stand look. I'm thinking it will be pretty similar to my own (I'll have a 3-sided overflow on the left side of my tank - except it'll be toothless and out the back, not out the bottom).

As you are aware progress on my stand is pretty slow right now because of the electrical issues at home. But hopefully it'll all be wrapped up soon! I did manage to get most of my trim wood cut though. Now I just need to decide how I'll fasten it and get that going!

Heres a couple of pics of the overflow,good thing im not a dentist :P .i could always cut the front teeth out and go toothless :o .

I will get pics up of the stand soon.Its been hot here in the sunshine state and i dont feel like being out in it working on the stand.Especially after being out working in it all day long.

I need to go and get a can of killz primer for the sump area and another piece of moulding,silicone the seams and paint.im shooting to have it done this weekend.Hopefully ;)

post-53952-1283202625_thumb.jpg

post-53952-1283203540_thumb.jpg

post-53952-1283203555_thumb.jpg

Hey B.C. the overflow looks great painted... The teeth look a little redneck though! Haha.

Anyways, It's been balls hot here in Michigan too... Sucks hardcore. But I bet I finish before you!

Thanks,yeah i know what you mean about the teeth :o .lol

I bet youll be done before me too. :mellow:

Man i really need to stop lurking in here and get my azz in gear.

Dont worry about the teeth.

I make mine into weird tear shaped shapes Small to large samll to large.. Looks odd. But gets the job done.

So far its looking good,

Was going to get some more work done on the stand today but got invited to a last minute BBQ at a friends house.After getting some yard work done i was able to quickly silicone the seams in the sump area and fill in all the screw holes with wood filler.I still need to get the door made hinge it and paint.I plan on having it finished tomorrow for sure. :D And of course pixs posted as well.

I tried to git r dun,but i didnt :( .

I just need to paint it,will do it tomorrow. :)

Here are some pixs.I think i need to run some moulding on the door,top and bottom horizontally.It looked fine until i looked at it in the pixs.

post-53952-1283727493_thumb.jpg

post-53952-1283727507_thumb.jpg

post-53952-1283727525_thumb.jpg

Nice job! Okay I think you're officially in the lead in the stand-building wars... My funds are running really low, so unfortunately I'm stalled on buying any more materials for 2 weeks...

Thanks Aj,bur Im not done yet lol :)

and your stand is a little more complicated than mine.

Sorry to hear about your project being stalled.

Im kind of in the same boat.I buy a little every week or two so it doesnt seem as bad as buying all at once. ;)

Really all i need to get me up and running is 2 gate valves and substrate.As for lighting im not sure what im doing yet.I have an Icecap 660 and a URI A4 ballast and might use them to overdrive T5's,but then i have to build a fixture for it.I also thought about purchasing a T5 fixture ready to go, and then i also thought about a diy LED light . :huh:

I might just go for a fishneedit fixture and modify it :D

Hmmm

Would 4 overdriven T5's be enough??

• 2 weeks later...

Stand is finished :D

and i picked up my substrate.

Heres a couple of pics.

Im thinking of putting a black plush area rug under the stand to help hide the gaps and shims.

post-53952-1284932344_thumb.jpg

post-53952-1284932584_thumb.jpg

post-53952-1284932795_thumb.jpg

I'm really liking the stand. Looks really sharp, but how tall is it? It looks pretty low to the ground. Then again maybe that's just an illusion due to the angle of the shot...

Are you going to paint the back?

Looks like you're ready for water!!! Congrats.

Thanks Aj,

I am very happy with the way it came out.

The stand itself is 34 inches tall.I built it so i can have a nice view of it while sitting at my breakfast bar or just passing by,makes for easy maintenance as well.

I need to paint the back and add baffles to my sump and get some misc. parts.

I still dont know what im doing for lights :blink: .I have a few ideas but nothing definite.

Your stand is gonna look killa with the slate,its going to give it a nice touch.Be sure to keep us updated with pics.

Lights eh?

That's a pretty big decision... I'm going straight for the big guns with a PFO 250w HQI with a Hamilton 14K bulb.

On the display fuge I'll be using a 2 bulb T5 setup. I think I'm going to set it up for a warmer color though.

• 2 weeks later...

The sundial doesn't have individual reflectors, but one sheet bent around the bulbs. I think it's a pretty nice fixture for the money. Certainly not the best, but not the worst either.

Update.

Today i got my sump done and painted the back of the tank black.

It looks very sleek. B)

The sump design i went with is one sugguested by Bitts to a few others.

Will post some pics as soon as i get a chance.Too tired and late for me now.

I think a cheapy T5 should hold you over just fine if you wanted to get going on an LED build. The 40br isn't that tall so I think t5's should be okay. It's pretty wide though so if you went with a T5 retro and used your current ballast you could probably get better spacing throughout the width of the tank.

I'm interested in your sump design now...

Archived