inTank Media Baskets

Star's 15g contest tank

star27624

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is annoying me this time around. It has a much smaller grain that I expected.

I have figi pink sand in my 29g BC and the grain size is larger. The color also seems to be very different between the 2 batches.

Not sure what sand I would choose now if I had to do it all over again.

I think they did too. To say I am disappointed is probably an understatement.

I was going to use the figi pink in the tank I am working on setting up at work, but am now rethinking that plan. I don't care for how black sand looks except when it is brand new. Over time it gets a nasty grey look to me, so that is out. Some of the other sands have that dingy brownish appearance. I like either a crisp white or the figi pink (or at least I did like the figi pink).

Deleted User 6

well at least i'm not crazy. i thought i had just lost my memory of what the fiji looked like. good to know someone else thinks it has changed.

if i keep having sandstorms after a couple months, i'll star siphoning out the fiji and replacing it with a larger grain size. let me know what you choose for your other tank.

I have to get through the next few weeks as the new semester starts before I can focus on it again. I had planned to have it set up and cycling before the semester started, but I just don't see that happening in the next week and 2 days.

Ok, I need to add a fish or 2 to the tank. Not sure what I want. I love firefish and tailspot blennies. I am a bit worried about them or anyfish, because of the maxi carpets. There are 10 in this tank, with 3 or 4 more to move over still. The little green clown goby I have seems to do fine despite a couple of the nems deciding to move into the little cave he likes. So I need so ideas on what I can put in.

I am tempted to move the clownfish that is hanging out here until I find a home for her, but since it has started to bite me when I have my hands in the 29, not really sure I even want to think about dealing with it in this tank.

That's what I was thinking was a firefish. The firefish I have in the 29g seems to do fine with the maxis being in there. The neon goby was fine with them too until the clownfish ran him into one being a pita. I so wish someone was close to me to take the little snot and give him a good home.

The only concern I have with a firefish is that the tank isn't very deep and is open top. ~10" of water depth factoring in the sand and the fact that I don't usually fill it to the very top.

I was trying to think of a midwater/swimming fish that leaves inverts alone and stays 3" or less in size.

I've thought about doing that, but one thing keeps me from doing it, my cats. One of them already gets up on top of the tanks via the light fixtures. I'm sure she would try to walk on a mesh top. She managed to break a glass top when I had one on the pico jumping up on it, and she only weighs 6lbs.

I know. Silly fish, you'd think they'd realize that there isn't anymore water on the other side of the glass.

It's funny the fish that I have had jump the most on me are clown gobies. I had 3 jump out of the 29g and one jump out of the 3g while it still had the glass top.

I should have taken a picture when I was doing some cleaning and rearranging as I set this tank up. I found most of the mia fish. Apparently my cats had gathered them together in a little pile like they do with their toys.

• 2 weeks later...

The probe holder finally arrived today. It is nice to have the pH probe secured and not just hanging in the tank. I am disappointed that the temperature probe doesn't fit this well at all. To make it work, I had to run the cord up through the holes where the probe goes instead of being able to slide the probe down into it. The temperature probe is just about an 1/8 of an inch fatter than the hole. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Ok waiting on the Sept FTS for a day off and to get unburied from papers waiting to be graded, oh and the camera battery to be charged.

I need better flow in this tank. I have an MP10 to replace the K1 that I have in there right now. I just am not sure where I should place the MP10 for the best results. I can put it on the far side of the tank or on the back wall. Which do you guys thing would be the best option?

Ok waiting on the Sept FTS for a day off and to get unburied from papers waiting to be graded, oh and the camera battery to be charged.

I need better flow in this tank. I have an MP10 to replace the K1 that I have in there right now. I just am not sure where I should place the MP10 for the best results. I can put it on the far side of the tank or on the back wall. Which do you guys thing would be the best option?

the side would be best. most important would be random movement with it on the back your limited to the area effected.

Archived