• Red Sea
    • Coralife
    • Kent Sea Salt
    • Marine Environment
    • Bio Sea

Royal Gramma

IO IO IO IO IO IO AND NOTHIN BUT IO!

Hee hee...

Anyway, I don't think anthony said the water was from the ocean. Anyway, that be cheap!!!

;),

Carrie

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how may OTHER salts have U all used? should be the thread...... Once U try the best, IO just becomes a cheep alternative....

but If IO is the only salt (48 votes) you have used, then how do U know thre isnt any better ones out there?

Im going to try www.aquacraft.net salt. Ill give an update soon.:)

• 4 weeks later...

dave, which one are you trying? i noticed there was a 2-part mix and another that was just a regular 1-part mix. any reason in particular that you think this salt it worth trying?

TM is a SOLID choice IME and I have NEVER had a bad batch or a sheitty mix, even when I added water to the salt accidentaly. I am trying the AQUACRAFT.NET Bio-SEA one parter fer now, but I have a 1/2 case comming in to try to see if there is any diff, or if it is just more of a hastle. In my biz, I got no time to dicker with measuring salt... let alone 2 parts LOL.

UPDATE: I LIKE IT. It had a good response reaction from my fish and corals and all remained extended. It blends excelent, has a stable PH and Density. CA remained high in the 330 range. I mixed it with RODI and let it sit fer like 10 minutes with an airating PH.

Test results: It ACTUALY weighed out at 50 GAl water to a 50 gal mix bag at SG of 1.024 at 78 Degrees.

No phosphates And I acid tested it fer nitrate. Its clean

Gets an initial aproval from me. In a month Ill have total decision over all. ;)

hrm i gotcha... maybe i'll order some of the 2-parter just to give it a whirl. i just HOSED about a half a 50g bag of IO b/c it got a bit wet. now it has a very hard time dissolving if it dissolves at all... arg! X)

Without a doubt, Tropic Marin. My tank strives with the stuff, and I would recommend no other. Yeah, you will pay more, but what in this hobby ISN'T expensive? X)

Always was a Reef Crystals fan, due to the additional Calcium in the mix, but just using the rest of it up right now, and then TM exclusively. I have tried Instant Ocean, but didn't like it at all.

I have been expimenting a bit lately, and I don't know if this is a good idea, but when I've been doing my water changes, I've been going 50% Tropic Marin, and 50% Reef Crystals. Only reason for doing this is to just to get rid of the rest of my Reef Crystals.. Dunno what effect this has had on the tank so far, only 2 changes this way so far, but things seem good.

I voted Tropic Marin...

• 1 month later...

I use free ocean water from Scripps Oceanography in San Diego, I use Coralife if i don't feel like gettin water but since at the shop I do a 500 gallon water change, don't feel much like payin for that much salt.

Zumm, Have you had any bad experiences with the scripps ocean water? Ive been thinking of using that water since we practically live on the beach. I hate mixing saltwater. I dont know about you guys but when I mix water I feel like a friggin mad scientist locked away in my room.

I'm trying HW Marine Mix....

So far, I like how it dissolves faster than IO ever did.

RE Aquacraft's statement that it's sold underweight: at the bottom of the bag, it says it makes 50g at sg 1.020. They don't claim to make 50g of full-strength sw. I'm mixing to 1.024, so it'll make less than 50g for me. Unfortunately, when I needed the salt, I needed it *now*, so I didn't measure out how much salt it needed to mix up some 1.024. More info on that next water change (after moving madness ends).

• 3 weeks later...

TY, Seriously, I have used it in a pinch, its not all that bad compared to SOME salts on the market.

REMEMBER the nightmare SAD SAD SAD STORY tank? I used it when he leached ALL the salt out of it. it was fine.

FWIW, this thread is AT LEAST more intelegent than 17 others on Salt. ;)

EDIT: Thanks to AbsolutC's replies further down this thread, the above statement no longer applies.

Interesting thread, looking at the hyperlink that Flaunt has posted it appears that Red Sea (cheapest salt I can find) is actually rated higher than IO, Reef Crystals or CoralLife. I have used nothing but IO in the past and liked it. Recently have tried Red Sea just because it is cheap and so far so good. Although I have seen an increase in my Valonia lately but I think that perhaps that is a coincedence. I will test out my next Red Sea and RODI water change for Phosphates and keep you all posted.

Why does Red Sea or Coralife get a bad reputation ? Is it only because IO is better known and more expensive than those two salts?

I imagine it is really whatever someone uses for the first time and if it works are afraid to try another salt. I myself am not afraid and until I see for myself a difference in Salts I may stick with the cheaper one. Any comments?

Thanks in advance.

Red sea salt blows. It's unconsistent, batches will vary.

I lost abou 90% of one of my zooanthid colonies from it. After I switched salts, they've starting regrowing. Red Sea salt never did dissolve right either for me. ;) i'd stick with IO over Red Sea.

I'm usin hW marinemix right now, but am gonna use some BioSea VERY soon, and I think I'll be happy

Strangely enough IO is the cheapest salt I can buy, 50 gallon bag for $17 or 200 gallon bucket for $43.... red sea, ME, Biosea, Kent, and Coral life are all $24 for the 50 gallon bags.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Dave ESPI

In my biz, I got no time to dicker with measuring salt... let alone 2 parts LOL.

But you do have tinme to write 2000 posts?

tgrupert came out of the closet to make a stupid assinine statement.

But you do have tinme to write 2000 posts?

Obviously I don't work 24/7. Just like any other person in this world and fer ######s and giggles, and in the effort to further the hobby, I DO have that time. So try to have a 1/10 th of your post and replies be something worthwhile you drooling imbecil.

PS: Even though yer a total Nooob with a ghetto tank, I tolerate you... damned if I know why???. (Sarcazim.. yer "ok")

Archived