• Crystal Sea
    • Reef Crystals
    • Deep Ocean
    • Red Sea
    • Coralife
    • Kent Sea Salt
    • Marine Environment
    • Bio Sea

well, since there's a poll settings now, i might as well make use for it...

lets vote so we can see what salt is most used by reef hobbyist :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

red sea sucks red sea sucks red sea sucks red sea sucks red sea sucks red sea sucks red sea sucks red sea sucks red sea sucks red sea sucks red sea sucks red sea sucks red sea sucks red sea sucks red sea sucks red sea sucks red sea sucks red sea sucks red sea sucks red sea sucks red sea sucks red sea sucks red sea sucks red sea sucks red sea sucks red sea sucks red sea sucks

-is using hW marinemix, then gonna get Bio Sea.

I use Reef Cyrtals. It was recommended by my LFS (who say they use it in their own tanks at home--I dont buy my salt from them also--get it online).

I have thought of turning to IO, but changed my mind as my tank seems to be doing great at the moment, with good coral growth and water parameters.

The elevated levels of calcium in RC 's salt also means I dont have to dose Calcium too much.

one of the best available comercialy. Geo Marine is realy good.

There is a decent (atad self Promoting) article on comparisons on:

www.aquacraft.net

the owner of the company frequents the Aol Chatroom as MDPUSA or Aquacraft1 and also in the reefs board on MSN.

look for the article... I think its decent, but if his salt is so good, why isnt there a rage for it?......hmmmmmmmmmm ???

hell, why use salt mix when you can just buy the ocean water at your LFS? the LFS where i get my water has filtered Catalina water for 29 cents / gallon..i can fill up a 55 gallon tank for hmmmm..lets see....wait...busting out the calculator...hahaha...$13.00

But again, i don't know how much salt mix cost..i never used any of them before...

Originally posted by anthony812

hell, why use salt mix when you can just buy the ocean water at your LFS?  i don't know how much salt mix cost..i never used any of them before...

must be nice to LIVE NEAR A FREEKEN OCEAN ! and your NSW is NOT as good as salt mixes as NSW is depleted of nutrients and trace elements faster than mixes.... in most circumstances.

hmmmmmm lug 55 gallons of sea water around........ not my cup of tea every time I need to do a W/c

ALSO paracites and bacteria can penetrate filters.......

of course I really cant talk.. I have 100 gall of RODI in my Van, but I do TANK SERVICE, so its not out of the norm.....:P

HEY watch it with corallife and red sea I have read many articles which state that from batch to batch it tends to be inconsistant just a heads up

Dave,

It is not entirely true about what you said about the trace elements. The NSW contains a lot of them...as i measured just the main ones..calcium was at 420-450ppm, iodine is at 0.06, PH is at 8.3, nitrite, nitrate, and amonia are at 0...but i still use the SeaLab No 28 cubes to add in more that is not in the NSW itself.

again, from the Unit..i believe its much cheaper than buying salt mix...and are you that weak or something? you can't carry 5 gallon bottles? GROW SOME MUSCLES MAN! actually, by lifting those 5 gallon bottle you might get some workout in..hahahah..j/k man!

but i do agree with you..they get heavy after lifting about 4 bottles od NSW as they weight ~ 50 lbs ea.

DUDE Anth........ try doing 4 flights of stairs, 200 yard hallways, Anal-retentive (IDIOTS) who put salt tanks on Parquet Hardwood flors and cant spill a drop, 400 gallon dump and fills on a 3200 gall reef, and being on a ladder to fill it..... a day in the tank Manintenance bis... and Ull be bushed to...LOL..... I may be a twiggy Mo Fo, but I got nads.....:P

• 4 weeks later...

IO also. I got a free salt mixing powerhead in the 200g bucket and it was only $50. With the Mini Jet 404 106gph I figure I saved $20. Plus the $16 I saved when I returned the Zoo-med micro pump I had bought for mixing my new SW:D

I've been using filtered ocean water near the catalina islands for a while now without even realizing it... (been buying what I thought was premixed saltwater..)

Archived