Innovative Marine Aquariums

Firefishbrain's S. Tapetum Species tank

firefishbrain

firefishbrain

Here's and updated FTS, I will keep an updated FTS on the first post from now on:

DSCF5664.jpg

And, here are some nice-ish shots of my porcelains doing their thing

DSCF5667.jpg

DSCF5672.jpg

and now, the moment we've all been waiting for...

SHRIMP!!!!!!

DSCF5669.jpg

DSCF5671.jpg

Enjoy. Going to ID them now. I will keep you all updated.

They are Periclimenes brevicarpalis. Thank you http://www.wetwebmedia.com/Pix%20Of%20The%...wpotdarch34.htm

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
firefishbrain

Also if you notice in the last pic I've posted, you see my green guy budding. Has anyone noticed this with their maxi's??? I was under the impression that they did not self propagate...

firefishbrain

Thank you Am. Say, Does anyone know where I could acquire some of the other various Periclimenes anemone shrimp, there are a couple of species out there... I'll have to recheck which ones specifically...

Nice shrimp.

I have only found the Periclimenes brevicarpalis so far myself. Divers Den sometimes has some and I think reefs2go and reefgardener might sometimes have them.

The semi local shop have been great with getting the Periclimenes in for me when they appear on the list. SO you might see if you have a local place that will special order for you.

firefishbrain

well, yeah, thats where I ended up getting mine. Problem is, the two wholesalers that they order from (Quality Marine and Sea Dwelling) only have them come in as "Periclimenes" or "Anemone Shrimp"... I think I have to determine what species I"m looking for specifically first lol...

firefishbrain

so, I've discovered seadb.net it is a great id resource! I'll have to post this on the id forum! I am finding quite a few other periclimenes as well as This, here is a pic

LissocarcinusLaevis2438EE.jpg

***Also, thank you whoever for the pic, I just wanted to share the image, I do not in anyway claim it as my own photgraph*** (Don't want to get sued lol)

If I can get a hold of some of these great cryptic organisms for display, or better yet, research for ornamental aquaculture, I smell greatness!!!

firefishbrain

IN a 125?!?! IMO they would get lost in there. but a great way to waste a day staring at a tank!!! ;)

firefishbrain

I assume so, there is no sign of him. I do recall him getting stuck in the nems on occasion, but he usually was able to pull himself out.

firefishbrain

Sorry Am, it seems like my boss is "punishing" me with more hours at work because its almost the end of summer vacation for me before I go back down state for school.

I do not plan on getting another, I can, easily, but I don't think it would fair well...

Also, I lost the periclimenes. I'm debating on trying one more to see if it will survive. The anemones seemed to host them ok for a while, then I didn't see them again... just a shed skin on the tentacles of a nem... If I try another one and it doesn't work out, I will avoid all periclimenes, as much as i like them, this may not be the best set up for them host wise, so a last guy will confirm it. I will "publish" my findings here as well as in the invert thread so other people can refernece it.

On a happier note, I have been really working on the tanks lately and was able to get some Red mangroves for each system, 3 each. I was really lucky, cuz they were FREE!!!!!

I've been getting distracted by other things, so I haven't been able to post much/I forgot. But things are going just swimmingly here (no pun intended). However...

I got the Blues...

BUH NAH NUH NAH!

DSCF5822.jpg

buh Nah nuh NAH NAH!

DSCF5816.jpg

I like how its a nem on a half shell lol

(sorry, that was supposed to be blues up there, I'm from Chi-town, what more do ya want???)

These guys came from Amnestia, I like them much, ordered from him before, and they always end up better than pictured.

Updated FTS someday

OH! Also, I took a little trip to Orchids by Hausermann today. I'm just starting to get into orchid keeping (Boy, do I pity my poor roommate, but I think he knew what he was getting himself into this fall), picked up a Paph Tying Shin and a Paph. Gan Lin Focus for my window sill (may upgrade to a light system with tray, we'll have to see), as well as a Jewel Orchid (L. discolor) for my vivarium.

tying shin

DSCF5826.jpg

Gan Lin Focus

DSCF5827.jpg

Thats all for now... Enjoy!

Sorry to hear about the Periclemenses. The larger of the 2 I got is still doing well. I think I have lost the smaller one though, as I haven't seen it in about a week. The one I see all the time stays happily in one of my larger maxis nems and doesn't let anyone near her nem. The sexys spring away when she makes any kind of move towards them.

firefishbrain

Thanks Am.

Perhaps the Periclimenes is an aggression related issue. I did notice that one would "fight off" my sexies, who like to wander and are borderline inquisitive. Thats one reason I'm looking to just try one... I will keep everyone posted.

firefishbrain

Exactly, and I do recall now that in my relentless ID I was doing of these guys I never saw multiples... hmmm

We'll have to see what happens with just one. I'll be getting it tomorrow.

firefishbrain

Alright, got a new P. brevicarpalis... cross fingers. this one has stayed on the same nem at the lfs since I had them order me some weeks ago. so I'm sure they (anemones) can host them (Shrimp) just fine

Archived