Coral Vue Hydros

Salts... OPINIONS

w1dude

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using Brightwell NeoMarine. The salt is prety good. My only complaint is that the Mag. levels are way to low (usually around 1200 ppm). I will be switching to D-D Magnesium Pro.

I've been using Oceanic on my BC29 and have not been happy with it. I get a lot of Ca precipitate and get a pH of 7.8 (have to add a lot of buffer). I think I will switch to Seachem Reef Salt next bucket.

• 4 months later...
I've been using Oceanic on my BC29 and have not been happy with it. I get a lot of Ca precipitate and get a pH of 7.8 (have to add a lot of buffer). I think I will switch to Seachem Reef Salt next bucket.

Used two salts with regularity; Red Sea marine salt and IO Reef crystals. For what it's worth, I'll stick with the IO salt. The Red Sea stuff had a disturbing tendency to clump and stay clumped even after several hours with a MJ 1200 pumping through the water in a 3 gallon container. IO doesn't do that. Not a scientific approach but had no problems whatsoever with testable levels using either, so the one small factor did it for me.

Used two salts with regularity; Red Sea marine salt and IO Reef crystals. For what it's worth, I'll stick with the IO salt. The Red Sea stuff had a disturbing tendency to clump and stay clumped even after several hours with a MJ 1200 pumping through the water in a 3 gallon container. IO doesn't do that. Not a scientific approach but had no problems whatsoever with testable levels using either, so the one small factor did it for me.

reef crystals for me! :)

^ I'm sure that's just a start. Seems every week there's a new "what's the best salt?" thread.

I'll be honest they all have pro's and con's. I'm currently using Tropic Marin Pro and don't get me wrong I like it a lot it's just expensive. I'm going to switch to either Reef Crystals or Red Sea Pro Reef. I've got about 100g left of my TMP

• 1 month later...

I use Aquavitro. It is great with very high calcium and alkalinity except that it leaves a white crud in my mixing tank. The top is also very easy to use... it is a twist cap with rubber gasket.

Previously I used Tropic Marin salt, which was also great and left no crud in my mixing tank. However the cap just pops on and off, eventually moisture must have crept in because by the end i was hammering down salt block chunks.

I use Aquavitro. It is great with very high calcium and alkalinity except that it leaves a white crud in my mixing tank. The top is also very easy to use... it is a twist cap with rubber gasket.

Previously I used Tropic Marin salt, which was also great and left no crud in my mixing tank. However the cap just pops on and off, eventually moisture must have crept in because by the end i was hammering down salt block chunks.

How would you compare the two? I've used Tropic Marin for years and like it but am always open to something that might be superior. Any differences you can quantify since the changeover?

How would you compare the two? I've used Tropic Marin for years and like it but am always open to something that might be superior. Any differences you can quantify since the changeover?

In terms of quality I'd say they are about the same (I am comparing Aquavitro to Tropic Marin Pro Reef). I did not measure all the components myself, but the tank fared well with both salts. If I had to choose between the two now, I would choose Aquavitro because I can get it cheaper and locally. Shipping salt is not cheap.

Archived