SaltCritters.com

Best Salt mix?

HeyLookItsCaps

HeyLookItsCaps

i purchased a 50 gallon jug of instant ocean this week for 16.99 was wondering if there was better salt, or better prices out there. what do you guys use and think is the best product?

NSW. :lol:

D-D H20+ is some pretty good stuff. also tropic marine is really good too.

Whats DD?

I've been thinking about switching to tropic marine pro once i'm out of reef crystals.

Really...most all salts are just fine. Pick one and stick with it for awhile. Me.. I use D-D H2Ocean salt now and have used Tropic Marin Regular with good results.

the regular stuff or the pro reef for nanos?

Regular

I used to use Tropic Marin but found it took a while to dissolve. Switched to Reef Crystals and have been very happy with it. Just recently started transitioning over to the DD-H20....so far no problems, takes a bit longer to dissolve, pH and Calcium are a bit better than reef crystals, but it leaves an orange-brown residue in your mix bucket. I think all of these are good, just stick with one you like. If you decide to transition...go slow.

Hope that helps

CD

Most of us on SCNRS are pretty partial to D-D H20 brand salt. I just aquired my first bucket of it and am eager to try it out!! The other salt I used that I liked at lot was Red-Sea Coral Pro. It has nice high amounts of Ca in it. Gret salt IMO.

I've used Reef Crystals, IO, DD H2Ocean, and now using NeoMarine.

For me, everything looked the best when using DD and NeoMarine. I've been using NeoMarine for the last couple of weeks and haven't noticed any major changes between DD other than it seems to mix up to clear a lot faster (less than 10 minutes).

Because of literally countless variables any opinion on salt based on non-professional opinion is purely anecdodal.

The only thing that should matter is your water + salt = x calcium, y alk, z magnesium.

My vote is SeaChem Reef Salt....I'm only one.

+1

I've been really happy with it for probably about a year now. I would like to check out the new Brightwell stuff if it's ever not sold out everywhere.

Anyone had any experience with Crystal Sea BioAssay? I am about to setup a new Finnex 30M tank and can get this regularly so was wondering if it is any good. Very cheap at $35 for 150gls. The other brands I can get locally are Reef Crystals and SeaChem Reef salts but they cost about 2 times as much.

Reef Crystals quite a few aquaculture facilities use it as well. I believe Georgia Aquarium uses Instant Ocean for their 6+ million gallon setup :D

Bioassay labratory formula-readings one hour after mixing

35ppt (temp comp. refractometer) with RO/DI TDS 0.

PH is at 8.5 with a re-calibrated monitor (RK2/pinpoint probe).

360 calcium level with Salifert calcium test kit (08-2010).

Alk IO test kit read 3 meq.

Seems to be low in calcium and alk. Don't have any other test kits yet as just starting out so can't test for phosphates, etc.

Archived