Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

best salt water?

seanqrs

i do not have a ro/fi filter...

well i would say its best to have your own salt and ro/di filter. for now if you want to start off you can get the mixxed salt water. but while your tank is cycling the chances of wanting to keep adding are low since if you do add something it will probley die if added to early. in that time you should invest in a RO/DI or just RO filter depending on your waters TDS level. better to know whats in your water and mix then trusting lfs. 1. you know your getting your tds to where you can and you never know your lfs could give you infested water or just high leveled water. 2. no trips to lfs and save gas money and your own money in the long run.

gulfsurfer101

You can fill a 5g jug of ro/di or sometimes even seven stage filtration including both ro and di along with uv sterilization for about 25-35 cents a gallon at your grocery store. I bought the coralfie pureflow II pretty cheap on the classifieds here brand new in box, so I would suggest to browse around and find your self a deal on one. My life has gotten a lot easier now that the distance I travel to make a wc has reduced signifigantly. As far as salt goes I use reefcrystals, it has more calcium and trace elements than most other salts.

what exactly does RO do? is there a way to do it without the big cost of the filter? thanks for the help

what RO Filters do is you can connect it to your sink/water hose, and it runs the water through your filter. cleans out metals and minerals and metariel thats bad for your fish tank. if you dont have nice pure water(you could buy distilled water from walmart which works also and is less then $1 a gallon) and have a high level of tds then you could have a giant algea bloom which does not look nice. soo bad for fishes and corals, algea bloom.

My LFS supplies really good RO/DI water... but it isn't pre-mixed. For salt, I use Tropic Marin Pro-Reef and this combo has been working well for me. :)

Good luck!!

Archived