Innovative Marine Aquariums

My Biocube 29 build

floridian reefer

I think the reason your fan is not helping cool the tank it because you have a closed hood. The fan blowing on my tank cools it down by 4 degrees mabye even more ( i only run it on low ). I have it blowing between the the light and the surface of the water.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

open the back lid and point your fan there.. or use some dowel or something of that nature to elevate the lid as a whole leaving 1/2 in of space between tank top and lid point fan through there it should help.

use sharp scissors.

cut off the arm you want to frag off

place in rubble to let it re attach. (ther eis several methods to doign this part.. personally I sandwich the piece between the sand and the piece of rubble i want it attached to and leave it there for 2 weeks.. after that its attached.. right it up and keep it in med-low flow area for anoher week or so as needed to make sure its attached well.

If you want to place it on existing rock work try tieing it down with fishing line or rubber bands just be careful not to do it to tightly.

Done.

Sorry. I forgot to tell you that i dont have a biocube. I would just do what Degener8 said and try raising the lid just a bit and then piont a fan derectly between the surface of the water and the bottom of the light. On my old ten gallon i made nice little wooden blocks to set my lid on.

DSCN2787.jpg

DSCN2783.jpg

DSCN2782.jpg

DSCN2786.jpg

DSCN2785.jpg

DSCN2784.jpg

DSCN2781.jpg

How old is your open brain and how long have you had it there? What lighting do you have? I have an open brain, just moved it to sand, but had it on the lowest rock and it started bleaching...? Thought it might be too strong of lighting? Do you feed yours?

floridian reefer

yea feed once a week and i had just the stock 2 36w pc now i have 4 36w pc, in lid. had for about 2 months now, doing great!

yea feed once a week and i had just the stock 2 36w pc now i have 4 36w pc, in lid. had for about 2 months now, doing great!

How do you feed and what do you feed? I tried Mysis...he got a couple once and also flake food he caught once. That was about it since i have had it (about 4 weeks now).

floridian reefer

i feed it this, and only about half a cube and i reach in and place it right on it and make sure it got a hold of it then i just have to watch my cleaner shrimp to make sure it stays away, very cool to watch though, swells up huge and is gone within 15 minutes.

floridian reefer

i only feed my brain and candy canes directly, and spray some arctic pods around the gorg, oh and target feed the sun polyps

yeah i guess thats my only option i just hate it because of the looks but gota do what i gota do i guess. i wonder if there are beter fans than what came with the light kit they sent?

Yes. The stock fans are garbage. Don't be surprised if they just stop turning.

floridian reefer

i have a couple of fish id like to add to my tank but havent because i was afraid it would be too many do you think i could add more, wanting to add a panda goby and two pajama cardinals.

already have,

1 mandarin

1 lawn mower blenny,

2 clowns,

1 rainfordi

thats all the fish

inverts,

1 cleaner shrimp,

1 peppermint shrimp, (never out)

1 anemone crab

4 blue leg hermits

1 emerald crab

i have a couple of fish id like to add to my tank but havent because i was afraid it would be too many do you think i could add more, wanting to add a panda goby and two pajama cardinals.

already have,

1 mandarin

1 lawn mower blenny,

2 clowns,

1 rainfordi

thats all the fish

inverts,

1 cleaner shrimp,

1 peppermint shrimp, (never out)

1 anemone crab

4 blue leg hermits

1 emerald crab

Panda Gobies are usually sold at very small sizes. If your rainfordi left him alone he wouldnt add much to your bioload. I wouldn't add the cardinals.

vaporlockv2

Go to your local computer store pick up some pc fans. Their cheap and they come with the connector to connect to the circuit board.

floridian reefer

i noticed they were the same as my pc fans but how do i know what is stronger?

so no cardinals just the panda, got it thanks guy

Personally I would not add even the one goby but I am fairely conservative with fish for the most part.

You have 2 gobies a blenny and 2 messy clownfish. He would likely be ok but if your tank is balancing well now I don't think I would disturb it myself.

Here is how I handled my heat issues.

top.JPG

fantop.JPG

I used 80mm silnex fans in my hood. Obviously this requires some heavy mods.

Most important find fans that are ball bearing. Stock fans are 60x60x15. This size of fan is pretty hard to find. Never have been able to find the specs on the stock fans, as far as rpms and cfms. Most 60x60s are 25mm thick. This will push up the lamp over the fans with your mod. You can find 10mm ones but they don't move as much air. Newegg.com is a good place to pick up fans but you don't have to buy the heat sink.

Here are the 60mm fans. Evercool and Vantec are pretty good fans. Silnex are really quite but there selection is very limited.

floridian reefer

very nice, see i would do that just because you still have a hood and its closed right now i have the hood open in the front and back and its 75-76. so i guess that fan you put in the back has its own power supply?

Archived