Pod Your Reef

6 Gallon Nano

cameraman_2

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is my new orange fungia I picked up today.

20100915_01.jpg

and here is a current FTS of my tank. You can see the awesome Aptasia I have living on the brain coral on the far right. Tomorrow I am going to buy a Peppermint shrimp to feast on him. ;)

20100915_02.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yes he is huge. I will post some current pics soon. I just got a new light for the tank since one of the sockets stopped working on my old fixture. I replace the CF's with an 18" T5HO, 18" Nova Extreme T5H0x2 2x20w. The corals look great under this new light. I'm actually thinking about getting another one since there is enough room to put 2 on top and get plenty of lighting.

Here are some new pics of my tank I shot this morning. This afternoon I added a peppermint shrimp and an emerald crab. I also switched the placement of the open brain and trachy.

20100927_01.JPG

Every morning my fungia has that white thing on him but its always in a different spot. It disappears after the lights are on for about an hour.

20100927_02.JPG

My trachy is getting big.

20100927_03.JPG

• 3 months later...

Thanks clifford513

Today I picked up some Nerite snails to do some major algae eating and help keep the tank clean. So far they are doing a great job on that green stuff you have to scrape off the glass with a razor blade. I also picked up my first Acropora frag as well and have him place high in my tank.

I went out today and picked up an awesome looking Zoa and a Green Bean Acropora. Here are some pics of my latest stuff.

Here is the Zoa. Its a little blurry and I will try to get a better pic later.

20110111_06.JPG

Here is the pic of the Green Bean.

20110111_05.JPG

Here is the First Acro I bought yesterday.

20110111_03.JPG

Here is the Ric from the other day. I plan on getting a small peace of LR and attaching a few of these guys to it.

20110111_02.JPG

Here is an update on my Monti that is doing great.

20110111_04.JPG

And finally here is my Orange plate. If you look closely at it you will see the tips of its tentacles are purple. This picture doesn't show that very well but I did the best I could on it.

20110111_01.JPG

I'm curious as well - what is the name of your LFS?

I spend a lot of time at Neptune's Cove in Plano.

They have some nice Zoas.

Neptunes Cove blows, There are WAY better LFS's in DFW. Every time I have been to Nep Cove the tanks are filthy, the fish look very unhealthy and the selection has been poor, to say the least. I first went there after seeing the website, the store looked awsome , but got there :huh: and left entirely disappointed. Mid-Cities is by far a better LFS, Fish Gallery is pretty awsome too. A couple others I use is Franks Tanks in Fort Worth, as well as Dallas North Aquarium in Carrollton. Didn't mean to go on a rant but there is a much better option than Nep. Cove for you.

http://mid-citiesaquariums.com/

http://franks-tanks.com/

http://www.thefishgallery.com/Dallas

http://dallasnorthaquarium.com/

jbb_00 I go to Fish Gallery all the time and Mid-cities. I just run out to neps cove every once in a while to see what he has. He usually has good prices and neat stuff but I would agree with the tanks not looking that great. I have never bought fish from him and have been told not to. I will definitely check out the one in Fort Worth.

ColonialReef Yes so far it seems to be enough. I use a Nova Extreme T5 that has 2 18 watt bulbs in it. I will definitely let you know how it works out with Acropora. I have them as high as I can get them in my rock work.

Thanks for the comments about the tank.

Thanks nlm2889.

I need to get a needle and some lemon juice to take out some aptasia. By damsel keeps chasing my peppermint shrimp and stressing them out til they die unfortunetly. He tried that with my Emerald Crab but he wouldn't take it. He showed him his big pincher and they fish never touched him again.

I had some aiptasia problems. Look for pickling lime in your local grocery store, and use that. I bought a syringe from the pharmacy at mine for like $.20 and made a paste from the pickling lime. It took the Aiptasia out almost instantly, then I superglue the hole just to be sure it wouldn't come back.

Archived