Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

danthenewreefman

danthenewreefman

Tank is 4 months old.

ph is steady 8.0

everything else is near perfect.

Is my tank old enough for a clam, what about light is it enough?

What is a good starter clam?

LFS said I could do most clams but not a few, what would those few be? (they cited no enough light)

lakshwadeep

What are the specific numbers for your tests (in particular calcium and alkalinity)?

Do you have any SPS or other difficult corals?

What are your tank dimensions? Is 150W of T5 lighting right? I know that 36" T5HO bulbs are 39W, but four bulbs would be 156W.

Also, what is the brand/model of the T5 fixture (a link would help), and what bulbs are on it?

danthenewreefman
What are the specific numbers for your tests (in particular calcium and alkalinity)?

Do you have any SPS or other difficult corals?

What are your tank dimensions? Is 150W of T5 lighting right? I know that 36" T5HO bulbs are 39W, but four bulbs would be 156W.

Also, what is the brand/model of the T5 fixture (a link would help), and what bulbs are on it?

Ca+ b/w 360 - 440ppm always

dKH 10-12

No difficult coral, 2 euphyllia, several favia, bunch of different zoanthid.

Yes it is 156w, I just round, sorry.

It is a 36inch tank, w/ 4 36inch T5 bulbs on it. (tank = 36 x 17 x 13, (17inches deep))

Nova extreme SLR, with stock bulbs...replacing them soon as they're almost 4 months old now. Tank is little over 4 months old.

Thank you for your response.

--Daniel

danthenewreefman
Should be fine. Go for a 3+ inch maxima or so and you're set.

place on sand or on something?

meaning...does it need to be really close to my lights or is in the sand OK?

lakshwadeep

Check out the FAQ thread above and the clam lighting thread in the lighting forum for more info on choosing a clam and lighting. I agree that your specs are good; although there's no harm in waiting longer. With the larger clams, you should think about long-term size to avoid bad placement, and choosing sand or rocks depends on the species (I think maximas need some type of rock for attachment).

cheryl jordan

Your system seems like it is good to go for a clam.

Reviewing the clam stickies is a good idea.

Maxima and Crocea are rock boring clams in the wild. IME Maxima do as well in the sand as on the rocks and Crocea really do better placed in the rock work. Start your clam lower in the tank to acclimate to the lighting. Choose a clam that does not appear bleached, has a mantel that is fully extended and check for presence of pyramid snails.

Try to get a clam over 2 inches at the very least. Derasa clams require less light and seem to be hardier. Make sure it is not placed close to any corals with sweeper tentacles such as any Euphyllias.

danthenewreefman

Most of the "stickies" say I'm not ready, not long enough time?

I have feather dusters multiplying like crazy in my tank, along with pineapple sponges...

My tank is only 4 months old, but I bought expensive LR to start with, but y'all think it is OK for me to take the chance?

I just prefer clams over SPS, why I wanted my first difficult to keep to be a clam.

When in doubt.. wait a month.. Anybody besides me think the calcium swing from 360-440 is a problem? How long does it take you to get from 440 down to 360? I have no experience with clams at all, but from what I've read they are calcium sucking pretty little bastards :). So if you can't keep your calcium stable now.. you might really run into problems.

danthenewreefman
When in doubt.. wait a month.. Anybody besides me think the calcium swing from 360-440 is a problem? How long does it take you to get from 440 down to 360? I have no experience with clams at all, but from what I've read they are calcium sucking pretty little bastards :). So if you can't keep your calcium stable now.. you might really run into problems.

That is about a 2 week swing with the maximum and lowest I've ever seen. Usually 380 before water change, and 420 afterwords...

the favia are growing like crazy (along with coraline algae), so I think the calcium swing is normal, being that I have stuff "eating" the calcium.

I just think the clam would accelerate the loss of Ca+

am I thinking right on this subject?

...I thought Ca+ going down was a good sign.....?

• 1 month later...

Archived