Cultivated Reef

My ADA 60P. Now with 20" NEP CREE/T5 Retro

reeftankguy

reeftankguy
lookin real nice. any problems with the mame overflow causing floods?

Haven't had a problem at all and works perfect. It wont work if water doesn't flow into it, so no way for it to flood. It starts up (auto siphons) on its own after a power outage ;)

Rumor has it that Mame's (LED Fixtures, Skimmer and Overflow) and ADA Cubes and Accessories will be hard to come by after what American vendors have in stock dissipates due to the factories for both were heavily damaged in the Japan Earth Quake. :sucks:

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

reason i ask, is that i've had the mame for 2 weeks, but have had two flood episodes. once was after a water change (two gallons in the display tank), and another was after a feeding (i turn the return pump and skimmer off for feedings). i have figured out that the reason for the floods was that a large bubble which acts as an embolus clogs up the return piping, thus causing poor drainage until the bubble gets passed (farted out). i'm thinking the venturi doesn't have enough pressure - i'm using an eheim compact return pump dialed at 265 gph w/around 2.5 feet of head pressure.

reeftankguy
reason i ask, is that i've had the mame for 2 weeks, but have had two flood episodes. once was after a water change (two gallons in the display tank), and another was after a feeding (i turn the return pump and skimmer off for feedings). i have figured out that the reason for the floods was that a large bubble which acts as an embolus clogs up the return piping, thus causing poor drainage until the bubble gets passed (farted out). i'm thinking the venturi doesn't have enough pressure - i'm using an eheim compact return pump dialed at 265 gph w/around 2.5 feet of head pressure.

If it was your sump that overflowed then you need a bigger sump. Like I said, if there is no water going into the overflow and the sump can handle the extra water (when it drops below the intake), then the sump cant overflow its edges.

Hope that makes sense. :wacko:

reeftankguy

Wow... the display overflowed during a water change :scarry:

I have not had that happen during a water change and I hope it never does...

yeah the display flooded after a water change. i think i lost siphon b/c of the water change, and like i said, a large bubble ensued and the venturi wasn't strong enough to overcome it. before the flooding, i was so pleased with the mame. anyway, my plumbing skills and experience are limited, however, so i wouldn't worry too much - just keep an eye on it when you turn the return pump back on.

If it is the venturi that is causing the issue why not put a splice in the line and attach a air tube to the return pump? This should suck the air out of the line and continue to pull water when no air exists. This could be the fail safe for the design.

"Z"

The venturi line is what is used to restart the siphon of the mame overflow correct? This is the line between the Intake and Return. It is a rubber hose i believe. The issue as stated is "Overflowed due to bubble in the venturi line". So if you cut the line add a T and run a hose to the return the suction of the return will "suck" out the bubbles, thus eliminating the potential for an air bubble to get lodged.

Does that make sense?

"Z"

No, the bubble is in the overflow pipe, not in the venturi tubing. The large bubble acts as an air embolus in the overflow pipe, thus causing inefficient drainage, and eventual flooding.

I think a solution would be to use a larger return pump to beef up the venturi recovery, but my display is only 9 gal and the drain becomes too loud and gurgles like crazy.

reeftankguy
I think a solution would be to use a larger return pump to beef up the venturi recovery, but my display is only 9 gal and the drain becomes too loud and gurgles like crazy.

You don't have the silencer? I made one for mine. It's a big difference!

sorry slightly high jacking the thread...

Mate, exactly what model of pump are you using there?

Compact 1002 or Compact+ 2000?

Makes sense why mame released a float switch for their over flow as well...

reeftankguy
sorry slightly high jacking the thread...

Mate, exactly what model of pump are you using there?

Compact 1002 or Compact+ 2000?

Makes sense why mame released a float switch for their over flow as well...

I believe he is using the...

Eheim Compact+ 2000 •1000-2000 LPH (265-528 GPH)

I believe he is using the...

Eheim Compact+ 2000 •1000-2000 LPH (265-528 GPH)

thanks, I just placed an order for the + 2000 pump @528GPH, I hope its strong enough to start it up smoothly. I;m assuming he is having problems because his flow is too weak

reeftankguy
thanks, I just placed an order for the + 2000 pump @528GPH, I hope its strong enough to start it up smoothly. I;m assuming he is having problems because his flow is too weak

I'm running a MJ 3000 wide open at 36" head height and its rated at 500 GPH @ 4' head

edit: spelling

I'm running a MJ 3000 wide open at 36" head height and its rated at 500 GPH @ 4' head

edit: spelling

Sounds good, I will let you know how I go :)

ps Love your thread, I've been following it for awhile now heh. Keep the pictures/videos coming!

reeftankguy
Sounds good, I will let you know how I go :)

ps Love your thread, I've been following it for awhile now heh. Keep the pictures/videos coming!

What kind of tank/setup you running the Mame on Kev?

I should have my NEP LED/T5 retro completed theis weekend so look for more pictures Monday

edit: Thanks for entering and appreciating my ADA build thead. I enjoy the challanges!

yep, i have it dialed down to 265gph, cuz if i open it up further, the drain gurgles incessantly. i actually bought the mame-recommended rio 2700 pump which is like ~700gph and that was WAY too much - but i understand why they recommend such a strong pump - to help beef up the venturi. my tank (a biube) is only 9gal and is tall and skinny - that's how i like 'em. ;)

sorry reeftankguy, for hijacking your thread with my problems. i think i'll start up my own tank thread when i have some time.

reeftankguy
sorry reeftankguy, for hijacking your thread with my problems. i think i'll start up my own tank thread when i have some time.

No problemo davy... My ADA build is also a Mame discussion.

I personally think you need to keep tweaking your Mame. Mine is dead silent and I believe I'm running at over

265 gph...

Got the 20 CREE's mounted, wired and tested last night. Rock and Roll!

DSC_0002-1.jpg

Had a lazy Sunday morning at the lake... Snapped this picture of the new ADA with the NEP in Sunrise mode.

Yawn...

DSC_0012-1.jpg

Looks great with Cross lake in the background! It needs to warm up so I can take the sailboat out

reeftankguy

Hey stranger... Want to buy a Loaded CAD12G? :D

dont be lazy... Get the sails full of air and the cabin loaded with beer and women!

Oh... Stop by and make sure you bring me 2.

BTW I have a boat slip to park in when you do!

PS> my Maxi ate the spot tail -_- rip

reeftankguy

Finished my 20 CREE LED/T5 Retro to my 20" NEP :naughtydance:

LEDT52.jpg

LEDT51.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

All I can say about being able to change the aesthetics of the spectrum is...

BLING BLING BLING!

I love it!

Archived