Pod Your Reef

Petco Coral, please READ!

Derekcaudill

Meengineer0128

18.99 :o . #### that, lol. I get premium bali rock from my LFS for 10.00/lbs. I love this LR because it is always covered in Coraline and I always get some type of beneficial hitchiker. Lucky find!!!!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every time I go in Petco everything looks horrible. They go through employees so quick that nobody has a chance to learn anything about the creatures. Sad really.

Derekcaudill
Derek, i've got lots of frags of stuff 4 sale on the cheap if you want to stock up..

Hey mike, I think I have you added as a friend. I will surely let you know.

my petco is not that bad they got a guy in my local club that is in charge of the fish and stuff and the corals are under t5s but they don't get that much cool zoas for me but they have a cool purple scully for 50 and i see them go for way more

I've heard of one petco that had a guy that knew what he was doing, but most of them are just the equivalent of puppy mills...

schgr.cube
First off they price their live rock at "Medium" and "Large" live rock. The medium is $18.99. Kinda high huh?

18.99 :o . #### that, lol. I get premium bali rock from my LFS for 10.00/lbs. I love this LR because it is always covered in Coraline and I always get some type of beneficial hitchiker. Lucky find!!!!

That price isn't per lb, it is for a "medium" piece, which is usually about 3-5 lbs. At your store, 3-5lbs x $10.00 = $30-50. My LFS charges $6 a lb, which comes to $18-30 for that amount of rock, the bottom of which being the same as Petco. Granted the Petco rock isn't as good quality, but we're just talking price here.

rocko52286
Hope it lives. Every time i go their they're fish have ick and corals dying.

+1 Dont buy from petco. Support your lfs.

Derekcaudill
That price isn't per lb, it is for a "medium" piece, which is usually about 3-5 lbs. At your store, 3-5lbs x $10.00 = $30-50. My LFS charges $6 a lb, which comes to $18-30 for that amount of rock, the bottom of which being the same as Petco. Granted the Petco rock isn't as good quality, but we're just talking price here.

Well yeah!! I know most places charge per pound. Here my LFS charges $5.00 a lb. And you quoted exactly what I said, "medium piece for 18.99." This piece would barely be 2 lbs. So compared to my LFS, its high.

Derekcaudill
+1 Dont buy from petco. Support your lfs.

ok ok ok!!! some people dont get this. I always buy from my LFS, great place and wonderful people there! I was just writing this in hopes of getting some tips, I understand this may be a crappy Chain pet store piece but it could also be one of the best deals I have found in this hobby. To me it was worth the risk.

Trogdor447
ok ok ok!!! some people dont get this. I always buy from my LFS, great place and wonderful people there! I was just writing this in hopes of getting some tips, I understand this may be a crappy Chain pet store piece but it could also be one of the best deals I have found in this hobby. To me it was worth the risk.

soemtimes you get lucky! that is a good find for ~20 bucks :) I hope 90% of your zoa's survive

Derekcaudill
soemtimes you get lucky! that is a good find for ~20 bucks :) I hope 90% of your zoa's survive

EXACTLY!!!!! is %50 survive i will be happy!!! I will still have came out with a great deal.

Mr. Microscope
PIC PIC PIC!!! :D

+1. Let's see some more! How are they doing? Congrats on the find! Any ID's on them? How 'bout 30 Rastas, 40 Nightmares, and a couple dozen Purple Hornets. :D

Carlton'sTank

Let's see some more pics. The blurry pics look like bad news, but clear pics will be deciding factor.

As far as dips go, this is what I have gathered over the years:

Furan 2: good for zoa pox and can sometimes help with the brown fungus if caught quick (you must be religious with the 3 days in a row of 15-20 minutes IMO)

Revive: a lot of people use it for stony, but I use it for everything, I noticed that it is the best for pests on large pieces of LR like you have. Some pests can take furan 2, lugol's and fw dips, but the revive makes them scatter. It smells good too (high five for added bonus)

lugols: I use this as a "worst case scenario" as it is really harsh on the corals, but it can help stop the melting process and save zoas that would seem like goners. I also use 2 drops per roughly 1/3 gallon after fragging. I place my colonies and freshly cut zoas in the solution for a minute or two to help with any tissue damage.

These are just my opinions in the hobby and I have been fragging zoas/palys for 2+ years now. These have no scientific backing, just what I have found through the surplus of info on this site.

I'm at a loss why I just read this thread... I guess that's interesting that you got some "free" zoanthids...

Also, why are people doing FW dips with cured LR... It doesn't kill many of your larger worms, crabs, or shrimp (or nuisance algae) unless you do it for a really long time, yet it can kill off coralline algae, and it compromises the bacterial populations. So why do people keep doing it? I'm just looking for a good answer that is better than (or at least as good as) using a traditional coral dip solution, or a QT.

Aqua newbie

It's pretty sad when I see Petco's fish. 20 or more damsels in a 10 gallon. Clownfish with ick. And 1/4 inch hermit crabs for five dollars. I feel good about driving 10 miles to my LFS.

Derekcaudill

Ok guys, again I am using my iphone for the pic. I am going to be taking much better pics this weekend and the picture I am posting doesnt do justice for the colors. i got home last night and counted 88 heads opened and at that number I just gave up counting. I estimate another 30 at least open. But again I will be taking better pictures very soon and will need some help on ID's. Thanks guys!!!

Petcos in my area are changing. Almost all have dropped Salt Water livestock(they still have salt and marine products). Only one is left that has marine livestock and it has so little left that when it is gone I think the tanks will be tore down. Maybe eventually the change will make it national.

Good luck on your purchase. I've bought a few fish and inverts from them over the years, so long as their tanks looked good I had no problems with anything dieing. I stayed away if there tanks were..... gross.

AdrianBryce
Here's my latest score from the LFS.. $44 for some nice red blastos.

redblastos.jpg

350 dollar piece at my LFS. :mellow:

Curly Joe Reefer

they look like whamin watermelons to me. Give them some time to color up and you might have some really nice zoa's.

they look like common brown zoas to me otherwise knows as common colony polups.

or do they look like this ? (i hope not). these are called cammethoas i think or commonly called camo zoa's or palys. they are very invasive and will smother just about any other coral in your tank in time. they are pretty hard to kill. i treat them like aptasia and juice them if they hitchhike in. they grow super fast so some people like them but like i said they can really take over a tank and when there established you cant kill them all. they dissapear and come back.

1036742C.jpg

Archived